6th Ed Ability: Assault Move After Deep Strike

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui

6th Ed Ability: Assault Move After Deep Strike

Post#1 » Oct 03 2012 02:07

So I haven't seen a whole lot of discussion about the implications of this.

Why:
With the new reserves rules (come in on a 3+) and this newly found ability, our Crisis suits just gained an entirely new way to play.

It used to be that against armies with insta death or plasma templates, you couldn't drop even if it would have been the most useful way to deploy your crisis teams. Now, because they can unclump themselves, no longer fearing the templates nearly as much.

A similar buff is seen against CC armies. Normally one would have to deploy Crisis suits first so they could jump away from melee enemies. Now you can drop them strategically, respond to your opponents moves, and still be able to skip away once you're done shooting.

Crisis suits are the most fragile unit in the Tau army against shooting. Broadsides are much more resilient against shooting wounds, their 2+ and extreme range keeping their shield drones alive long enough to tank heavy weapon shots. Firewarriors are much cheaper, can generally stay out of range of weapons that are cost effective against them. Vehicles normally have a 3+ cover save, generally long range and mobile.

Implementation:

This seemingly small change will make a big difference, I think, since with the new wound allocation rules make drone defence much less effective. Without drones taking up all the heavy weapon shots, our crisis suits are VERY vulnerable to shooting. This is especially true against shooty armies during the first turn. Suits need to avoid the alpha strike, because they can't count on drones or cover to keep them alive long enough for them to do their damage.

For these reasons, I have been using drop far more frequently. All of my suits either drop, or in the case of my ninja'O infiltrate with kroot or scouts, against high strength shooting armies like IG, triple psyflemen, and mass-missile wolves.

Tactics:
The crisis teams can drop in near each other and turn a flank. This is especially good with the "refused flank" strategy every tau is familiar with, or if you can limit your opponents mobility after turn 1. Two full helios or fireknife teams dropping in inside of rapid fire range can take out a squad of marines very quickly, especially with markerlight support. With having to remove the closest models, crisis suits on a flank can quickly deplete a unit deployed in a conventional line to the point where the remainder couldn't assault you after you jump away even with a perfect charge roll.

Alternatively, drop single units in range (which with fireknives is ~18'', where most scatters won't screw you with being out of range or too close to escape CC, or ~12'' for when you really want to rapid fire) of a juicy or important target and

Synergistic Units
Broadsides have a lot of synergy with this style. They have the durability to weather the whole of first turn shooting and simultaneously destroy the mobility of most armies in the first turn or two. Broadsides are also quite good against many of the scariest units for Crisis suits, like IG tanks/artillery or Chaos Obliterators. Once the Broadsides do their job in Turn 1/2, drop in your suits in areas they can keep backing up and take out the slow infantry core of your opponent.

A unique unit I've started using is a Ninja'O (Helios) outflanking with a min unit of kroot or SM scouts. This further threatens an opponent's deployment from the sides and adds a CC threat against armies who (like IG or other Tau) have no one in their backfield who can beat a Ninja'O. This unit is deceptively fast, capable of bouncing up and down a line using Hit and Run. It can threaten a wide variety of units: devastators, artillery, small/weak objective holders. It is also quite tough. The O stands out front and soaks up anti personnel shots (with a 3+/5+ FNP), keeping the kroot alive, and passes the AT shots back onto the cheap Kroot models. Combined with dropping Crisis suits, your opponent has a lot to worry about while deploying and you have a very diverse reactionary force.

Pathfinder/FW markerlights make the mini-alpha strike after a unit or two of crisis suits drops that much more effective (vital if you NEED a unit to die that turn).
Augmented Puretide Council
The Tau Deathstar 2015: 8-1

Lone Strike
Shas

Re: 6th Ed Ability: Assault Move After Deep Strike

Post#2 » Oct 03 2012 02:46

I have been dropping my suits much more in 6th, but it really comes down to sizing my opponent up before the game. If I don't get first turn I will keep certain things in reserve not always deep striking. I have had some epic drops, but also had some really bad ones. Suits for the most part make up the strong fire power of the army and not having them on the table can hurt in my experiance. When I use my farsight bomb I can have 14 mp shots with target locks... That is a lot of turn 1 firepower doing nothing for a whole turn.

I have found that with 8-10 drones I can still make a fair shield around the team, also most of my other teams like broadsides and death rain teams have twin linked weapons... So going to ground is not that helpless, I try to block LoS as much as I can or grab ruin cover. One other thing I have noticed is when a crisis team gets to far up... They lose support from the back field and get a good amount of focused fire put on them. I never get the magical 12 inch thrust move to try and get them out of Los. It is really all comes down to what you are up against, but with proper setup you should be able to keep most of your army on the table. Pathfinder teams are great, giving the re roll on the scatter, it has saved me a few times. I still get irritated when space marine players and nids can just drop crazy amounts of units right into my lines with little to no risk.

If you ask me crisis teams should be able to deepstrike on par with blood angels or even first turn drop, I mean thinking of the make up of the armor and the tau art of war. Maybe I'm just saying this because last week a nid player dropped in and doomed my army to death... But it's okay we just have a codex from like 2006 and only can be effective in the shooting phase, it's not like grey knights can out shoot us. -sigh- but back to deepstriking...I put a mock up video on YouTube of me testing out a farsight drop.... It's under my farsight wipe thread.

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Oct 03 2012 05:54

I was going to argue that according to the codex they couldn`t move in the assault phase. Then to be sure I double checked the faq/errata. And hey, they can actually get the jump :-)
Thanks for getting me to notice, I`m sure I`ll deepstrike a lot more now :-D
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Oct 03 2012 10:46

@Lone Strike

Yeah, keeping them on the table was pretty important in 5th ed, and with proper drone coverage you could keep them alive against most armies. Now drones are much, much weaker, suits are more vulnerable. I can't really keep them on the table against many shooting armies these days. I do miss out on a turn of shooting, which hurts. I have to make up for it by keeping them alive and shooting longer, usually by knocking out their transports with broadsides and then putting crisis suits in a place where they can't be caught on foot.

lostinnm
Shas

Post#5 » Oct 03 2012 01:14

Iron-Fist wrote:A unique unit I've started using is a Ninja'O (Helios) outflanking with a min unit of kroot or SM scouts. This further threatens an opponent's deployment from the sides and adds a CC threat against armies who (like IG or other Tau) have no one in their backfield who can beat a Ninja'O. This unit is deceptively fast, capable of bouncing up and down a line using Hit and Run. It can threaten a wide variety of units: devastators, artillery, small/weak objective holders. It is also quite tough. The O stands out front and soaks up anti personnel shots (with a 3+/5+ FNP), keeping the kroot alive, and passes the AT shots back onto the cheap Kroot models. Combined with dropping Crisis suits, your opponent has a lot to worry about while deploying and you have a very diverse reactionary force.
FYI the legality of this tactic is questionable. The Infiltrate rules state:
An Independent Character without the Infiltrate special rule cannot join a unit of infiltrators during deployment.
Since your IC is attaching to the unit of infiltrators using their infiltrate rule to outflank he must have the infiltrate rule as well. As far as I've seen most rulings prevent IC's attaching to infiltrators to outflank. For more information look into attaching haemonculi to mandrake squads.
Last edited by lostinnm on Oct 03 2012 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

Nevar
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Oct 03 2012 01:14

I actually find a team of TA equipped stealth suits to be my ideal deep-strike unit.

Eighteen S5 AP5 shots at BS4 from the angle of your choice pretty much garuntees you gut whatever soft target you choose. IG heavy weapon teams, Space Wolf long fangs, you name it. Pricey unit, but with that amount of firepower and often 2+ cover saves the stealths survive a lot better than XV-8 teams.

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Oct 03 2012 05:07

@lostinnm

Oh my god, I can't believe I didn't see that bottom paragraph. I've been straight cheating for the past couple games. I feel like such a new person.

@Nevar
Yeah that unit would be vicious on a drop or outflank, although slightly less flexible (cant target most vehicles).

lostinnm
Shas

Post#8 » Oct 03 2012 05:17

Iron-Fist wrote:@lostinnm

Oh my god, I can't believe I didn't see that bottom paragraph. I've been straight cheating for the past couple games. I feel like such a new person.
Well there is some debate on it but in most ruling's I've found IC's can't join infiltrating units who are outflanking. The two camps are:
Since you are using the infiltrate ability to outflank the IC restriction applies.
Since outflank is a separate USR conferred to the unit by the infiltrate USR and the outflank USR does not have the restriction for ICs, the restriction does not apply.

I've heard it argued both ways but the most conservative approach (and safest if you are planning on playing at a tournament) is the first one until there is an official FAQ on it. It's kinda like the argument to outflank krootox that some have been pushing.

edit:Now I do believe your Shield O could attach to a unit of SM scouts and outflank with them since they have both the scout and infiltrate USRs. Just outflank using the scout USR rather than the infiltrate USR and you'll be good.

STS17
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Oct 04 2012 08:12

Since there is no clear definition for what qualifies as an "Infiltrator" (i.e. it is equally valid to assume that any unit with the "Infiltrate" special rule is an "Infiltrator" or to assume that "units which are deploying via the "Infiltrate" special rule are considered to be "Infiltrators") you could say that an Independent Character without the Infiltrate special rule can not be joined to a unit of infiltrators during deployment even if they elect to start on the table normally
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.

duckinedit
Shas

Post#10 » Dec 04 2012 03:57

So... I've been trying to find exactly where in the FAQ it states that this is possible... Am I crazy, or this a myth? I've been playing this way because I remembered reading this exact topic, but as I try to hold myself to all the rules, it eats me up that for the life of me I can't find anything that states this is legitimate. Am I missing something?
Play smart and remember what you've learned!

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre

Post#11 » Dec 04 2012 04:37

@duckinedit
You are probably thinking of the fact that your Shas'o can Outflank with a unit of Kroot.

Chris
Shas'La

Post#12 » Dec 04 2012 06:42

Nevar wrote:I actually find a team of TA equipped stealth suits to be my ideal deep-strike unit.

Eighteen S5 AP5 shots at BS4 from the angle of your choice pretty much garuntees you gut whatever soft target you choose. IG heavy weapon teams, Space Wolf long fangs, you name it. Pricey unit, but with that amount of firepower and often 2+ cover saves the stealths survive a lot better than XV-8 teams.

Due to the fact, that deepstriking Stealth suits in the most cases have no 2+ cover save on that short range, I use the XV9 Hazard Suits. With two twinlinked Burstcannons these guys can lay down a heavy firestorm. With some markerlights even better than the stealth suits. Thanks to the Tetras I have markerlights wherever I need them. With 300 points a 3-man squad with some drones attached, this unit is pricey too, but it is resistantly against enemy fire and thanks to the retrothrusters they can evade out of a close combat.

To come back to the topic, the Crisis have made a big benefit out of the new rules. The problem I had, was that I often hold too many units back. They came not on the table in time, of missed there target area and shocked out of range. Yes, there where matches were they fulfilled their jobs. But the risk is always there, and maybe too high.

Without to "wishlist" the new possibility is enticing but has it's risks to spend and spread too many units from the main force. I envy the space marines. Something like that would be great. Deepstriking with no risk to loose the unit and then jump away.

But with the rules we have at the moment, as mentioned, the Crisis and the stealth suits benefited from this change. The Xv9 on the other hand, benefited in my opinion even more. The can jump shoot and lay down a great amount of fire, jump away and in the case that they will be charged (due to bad pre measuring, lurking units in the backfield or something else), they have sync weapons (the better BS from the stealth suits due to the TA has here no effect) for the overwatch and can slip away after the combat.

With the XV9 we have here a strong unit that can be dropped in the enemy zone and can threat nearly every unit due to their high amount of firepower. Fast and strong. I think the XV9 do benefit great from these new deep strike units.

duckinedit
Shas

Post#13 » Dec 04 2012 02:38

Perhaps you misunderstood my inquiry. I can find not indication in any rule set or FAQ that changes our suit's abilities to Assault Move after Deep Striking. Which was initially the main focus of this specific discussion.
Play smart and remember what you've learned!

Kiblams
Shas

Post#14 » Dec 04 2012 02:50

duckinedit wrote:Perhaps you misunderstood my inquiry. I can find not indication in any rule set or FAQ that changes our suit's abilities to Assault Move after Deep Striking. Which was initially the main focus of this specific discussion.

Bottom of page 47 of your BRB :)

lostinnm
Shas

Post#15 » Dec 04 2012 02:54

And page 2 of the FAQ:
Page 27 – Armoury, XV8 Crisis Battlesuit.
Replace this entry with “Crisis suits are Jetpack Infantry as are any drones attached to them. In addition they have the Acute Senses special rule”.
The whole entry along with the deep strike restriction is replaced with the BRB and FAQ wording. Same thing with the BSF wording.

Return to “Archival Datacore”