Stormsurge Anchors and Interceptor

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
Norren
Shas'La
Shas'La

Stormsurge Anchors and Interceptor

Post#1 » Dec 03 2015 01:45

Edit:Question has been answered, thanks all!

Original Question:
[spoiler=]An issue came up in my Stormsurge test game the other night.

Turn 1a: Stormsurge with EWO drops Anchors.
Turn 1b: Drop pods come in. Stormsurge fires cluster rockets and AFPs to intercept, and I elected not to shoot main gun or SMS yet because my opponent insisted that I don't understand how interceptor works.

My expectation here was

Turn 2a: Stormsurge shoots main gun and SMS. Stormsurge goes to invoke second shooting phase and fire everything, including Cluster Rockets and AFPs again.

What actually happened was my opponent insisted on:

Turn 2a: Stormsurge shoots main gun and SMS, Stormsurge goes to invoke second shooting phase, but cannot fire Cluster Rockets and AFPs again.

We further discussed it and he insisted that if I intercepted the next drop pod during turn 2b, that I still would be unable to benefit from the stabilizing anchors rule during interceptor fire or on the next turn. By pure RAW, I see where he's coming from, but this feels like I had a few shooting attacks stolen from me because the Anchors should refresh the interceptor weapons as the overriding specific rule.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Norren on Dec 16 2015 07:07, edited 1 time in total.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Stormsurge Anchors and Interceptor

Post#2 » Dec 03 2015 03:11

I think your friend has the correct interpretation. Interceptor says that you cannot fire that weapon in your next shooting phase. That to me is pretty definitive. That's the price you pay for getting that kind of bonus to your shooting.

The anchor special rule doesn't tell you to negate that rule. It specifically states that you can fire that weapon again after resolving those shots. You can't resolve the shots of your interceptor fired weapons because you never fired them to begin with.
Last edited by AnonAmbientLight on Dec 03 2015 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Dec 03 2015 04:55

"In the Shooting phase of your next turn, and in each subsequent Shooting phase, a Stormsurge with its anchors deployed can fire twice. Make the second shooting attack directly after the first has been resolved."
Note that Anchoring allows you to fire twice, it doesn't give you a 2e shooting phase.

For the initial Anchoring turn, due to wording on Anchor, I'd rule in favor of your opponent.
A: Tau
B: Opponent

Turn 1A: Anchor
Turn 1B: Droppods arrive, Intercept once (Anchor only activates until your next turn)

Turn 2A: Anchor kicks in, but has no effect on any weapon that already intercepted.
This due to wording saying you can fire Twice, but also pointing to you doing so after firing the first (wich you can't anymore).

For further Intercepting whilst already being fully Anchored.

Turn 2B: More Droppods arrive, Intercept firing twice.
Even though it mentions to only work during the "Shooting Phase", we should apply same logic as Multi-Trackers.
Note that you cannot opt to intercept once, and save the 2e shot for your next turn. Anchor wording does not allow it.

-Derp

EDIT:
fixed a failed logic thingy
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Norren
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Dec 03 2015 05:40

ShasODerpy wrote:"In the Shooting phase of your next turn, and in each subsequent Shooting phase, a Stormsurge with its anchors deployed can fire twice. Make the second shooting attack directly after the first has been resolved."
Note that Anchoring allows you to fire twice, it doesn't give you a 2e shooting phase.

This is a logic nuance that keeps outsmarting me. Making sure- Am I correct in that the second firing requires it's own markerlights?

I do agree with Turn 1B Intercept once.

ShasODerpy wrote:Turn 2B: More Droppods arrive, Intercept firing twice.
Even though it mentions to only work during the "Shooting Phase", we should apply same logic as Multi-Trackers.
Note that you cannot opt to intercept once, and save the 2e shot for your next turn. Anchor wording does not allow it.

This was where my friend and I largely settled the discussion and moved on with the game. He holds that the Multi-tracker does not work in interceptor and I lacked a reasonable citation to prove otherwise and we started too close to closing as it was.

NoobPwner84
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Dec 03 2015 06:40

Norren wrote:This was where my friend and I largely settled the discussion and moved on with the game. He holds that the Multi-tracker does not work in interceptor and I lacked a reasonable citation to prove otherwise and we started too close to closing as it was.

I faced similar issues. Until I think it was Derpy (or perhaps another that i have not credited?) that pointed me in the direction of the ITC interpritation that wargear that allows you to fire two weapons in the shooting phase (multitrackers) applied for overwatch and interceptor. This has also been backed up when I've went to competitive events in the UK, that have ruled in the same way.

However I mostly play against tourney players, who have no problem with this interpritation as they face it often. In pick up games with opponents don't play competively, they may state that it is not FAQ'd and not want to allow you. In that case, I'd save the stormsurge shooting until you can obliterate them with your two shots with marker support to ignore their cover, and they have nothing to whinge about then, aside from their ever growing dead pile :dead: :::(
The true warrior engages only the worthy opponent

Norren
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Dec 03 2015 07:10

NoobPwner84 wrote:
Norren wrote:This was where my friend and I largely settled the discussion and moved on with the game. He holds that the Multi-tracker does not work in interceptor and I lacked a reasonable citation to prove otherwise and we started too close to closing as it was.

I faced similar issues. Until I think it was Derpy (or perhaps another that i have not credited?) that pointed me in the direction of the ITC interpritation that wargear that allows you to fire two weapons in the shooting phase (multitrackers) applied for overwatch and interceptor. This has also been backed up when I've went to competitive events in the UK, that have ruled in the same way.

However I mostly play against tourney players, who have no problem with this interpritation as they face it often. In pick up games with opponents don't play competively, they may state that it is not FAQ'd and not want to allow you. In that case, I'd save the stormsurge shooting until you can obliterate them with your two shots with marker support to ignore their cover, and they have nothing to whinge about then, aside from their ever growing dead pile :dead: :::(

I'll keep that ruling handy for next time. Meanwhile, I need some strategy rethinking and list tweaks.

Thanks all! That was a huge help!

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Dec 03 2015 11:07

Norren wrote:Making sure- Am I correct in that the second firing requires it's own markerlights?
hmm... I'd say "make a second shooting attack" would count as us having to follow all the required steps, wich includes choosing a target, and applying Markerlights.
That really ups the amount of Markerlights you can throw at a Stormsurge though!

-Derp
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Dec 03 2015 01:34

It might be off-topic to the OP discussion, but I feel is relevant. The ITC has a lot of rule clarifications across the board for most armies. It is worth it to give it a read through and discuss with your friends or local gaming shop if you'd like to use these interpretations, or augment them to suit your own play.

A model that fires during an opponent’s turn using the Interceptor special rule:
1) Must have line of sight to its target even if the weapon being fired does not normally require LoS.
2) Always counts as stationary for this firing.
3) May still fire Overwatch if assaulted in the same player turn, even with the same weapon used to intercept.
4) Cannot fire more weapons than it is normally able to fire during its own shooting phase.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nkf ... v2mOG4/pub
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

NotreDameGuy10
Shas

Post#9 » Dec 16 2015 03:18

Yeah you were right and your opponent was wrong.

Stabilizing anchors overrules interceptor's rule of not allowing you to fire those weapons again in the shooting phase.
Shoot weapons A & B via interceptor
Shoot weapons C & D in shooting phase.
Use Stabilizing Anchors to Shoot A, B, C, & D a second time as it is considered an entire separate shooting attack.

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Dec 16 2015 05:20

BRB - p167 wrote:At the end of the enemy Movement phase, a weapon with the Interceptor special rule can be fired at any one unit that has arrived from Reserve within its range and line of sigh. If this rule is used, the weapon cannot be fired in the next turn, but the firing model can shoot a different weapon if it has one

Using the anchors does NOT give you an extra turn.
For the entirety of your turn those weapons used to intercept are unable to shoot. That also means extra attacks from anchors.
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

Norren
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Dec 16 2015 03:05

As much as I want NDG10's post to be right, after what was pointed out to me earlier I have to agree with this:

Agent00abe wrote:
BRB - p167 wrote:At the end of the enemy Movement phase, a weapon with the Interceptor special rule can be fired at any one unit that has arrived from Reserve within its range and line of sigh. If this rule is used, the weapon cannot be fired in the next turn, but the firing model can shoot a different weapon if it has one

For the entirety of your turn those weapons used to intercept are unable to shoot. That also means extra attacks from anchors.

Should I put the original post in a spoiler and say "question answered" or something?

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#12 » Dec 16 2015 05:54

Norren wrote:As much as I want NDG10's post to be right, after what was pointed out to me earlier I have to agree with this:

Agent00abe wrote:

Should I put the original post in a spoiler and say "question answered" or something?

That would be helpful, yes.

Cheers!

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Apr 08 2017 01:23

Simply this way

Anchored SS firing interceptor;
-Shoots twice when intercepting with all its available weapons
-cannot shoot next turn as already intercepted

Done

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Apr 08 2017 03:43

Dude...this topic is almost 1.5 years old now...

Return to “Archival Datacore”