Low altitude deployment

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Low altitude deployment

Post#1 » Feb 28 2017 09:06

Hi guys. Just started playing Tau Empire.
One of the formation I was thinking of is the RC but i have few clarifications needed to be resolve regarding low altitude deployment.

When i deploy my models/units on turn 2 using low altitude deployment....

Do i need to roll for scatter? Or i can place these model/unit anywhere without rolling for scatter?
(Rolling for scatter always had those risk of Deep strike mishap rule and this worries me :crafty: )

JubJub
Shas

Re: Low altitude deployment

Post#2 » Feb 28 2017 09:58

Yes you do have to roll for scatter. As stated in the Tau Codex, "If you do so, deploy the entire Formation using the Deep Strike special rule at the start of your second turn" (Tau Codex, p. 105). Therefore, the Deep Strike special rule is unchanged due to Low Altitude Deployment and your Formation scatters normally.
"Gun Drone, get down!"
-Space Marine

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Feb 28 2017 10:44

Ok thanks. This clarifies it. Thumbs up :D

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Feb 28 2017 11:10

Few more related questions though..

1. Can i deploy the models/units in this formation at 2 or more differents/separate locations on the table?
i) if i can do that, i guess i have to roll for scatter for each model/unit thats deployed at the separate/diffirent locations? Means 2 locations for drop= 2 separate Scatter roll?

2. So...if i deployed ALL units/models in this formation on same drop location, I only need to roll for scatter ONCE?
i) or do I have to roll for scatter for EACH unit/model in this formation eventhough i choose 1 drop location?

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Mar 01 2017 12:35

Double check the Deepstrike rules on pg. 162 of your BRB. It will clear up all of your questions here.

1) You Deepstrike units, but you select one model from that unit as a placeholder on the table for your deepstrike scatter roll. Once that model is placed, roll your scatter dice. Move the model to the appropriate location based on that scatter then place the remaining models from that unit around your placeholder model.

Each unit can be placed where ever you want on the battlefield.

2) You have to roll scatter for each unit, assuming they have come in from reserves.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Mar 01 2017 12:52

Thanks! Clarified :)

So essentially;
1. Low altitude deployment still at risk for deep strike mishap
2. Not much difference from normal deepstrike apart from having Relentless special rule for units in this formation when deployed

All in all, low altitude deployment basically deep stike + relentless :fear:

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Mar 01 2017 02:28

Besides the mechanic itself there is of course the benefit of not needing a reserves roll, and knowing that everything in the formation is coming in on turn 2 :D

Not to mention you get to deep strike Broadsides which normally can't. :smile:
Ka'ash Sept

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Mar 01 2017 02:46

Yeah that too! :) :)

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Mar 01 2017 04:21

azlanpower wrote:Thanks! Clarified :)

So essentially;
2. Not much difference from normal deepstrike apart from having Relentless special rule for units in this formation when deployed

Our deep striking units normally have Relentless anyway. You are using this rule because you are guaranteed to bring in everyone at the same time at turn 2 - not one unit of crisis arriving on turn 2, two others arriving on turn 3, and riptide arriving turn 4. Furthermore, the formation gets +1BS on the turn they deep strike. That's a lot of firepower suddenly up close in the opponent's face.

Avoid mishaps by using homing beacons (Stealth team, Ethereal, Tetra).

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Mar 01 2017 11:24

azlanpower wrote:Thanks! Clarified :)

So essentially;

The formation itself has relentless whether or not you Deepstrike. Useless for pretty much all the units in it except the Broadside.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Return to “Archival Datacore”