Weapon Profile Issue

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
Setsuro
Shas

Weapon Profile Issue

Post#1 » Mar 24 2017 03:42

Hello dear fellows,

Recently the new FAQ came out, a member of my gaming club managed to, in his excitement, misinterpret one of the FAQs. This topic is not about that FAQ. It did lead him to a ridiculous little piece of RAW that I could not discredit without the "please play nice" argument. So I would like to ask you fine ladies and gentlemen, to disprove the following using RAW arguments only.

According to page 30 of the BRB (the small one at least), under the Select a weapon, in the third paragraph, it states "...treat weapons firing different modes/ammo types as differently named weapons." If you use this rule for basic infantry their is no issue. An Astartes can happily choose what type of missile to fire from his missile launcher.

However, Tau wouldn't be Tau if it couldn't take advantage of pretty much every basic shooting rule there is. Now lets take a unit that can fire multiple weapons, like a Crisis Suit, and equip it with a single weapon that has multiple fire modes, like a Cyclic Ion Blaster. If you treat standard fire as a different weapon as overcharged fire (which the BRB tells us to do), then that would mean that a Crisis suit can utilise both the standard fire and overcharged fire options in the same shooting attack, netting 3 S7 shots and 1 S8 Blast.

And while a that is quite respectable especially for how cheap it is think also of the following. A Riptide by virtue of being a Monstrous Creature and having a Multi-Tracker can fire three weapons with each shooting attack. Again taking Ion weaponry as an example, according to this rule a Riptide could fire its Smart Missile System (twice with Ripple Fire), standard ion fire and overcharged ion fire (not Nova charged because Ordnance prevents that), netting a grant total of 4/8 S5 shots, 3 S7 shots and 1 S8 Large Blast.

So let's move on to vehicles. Take a Hammerhead with Submunition Rounds. If stationary it could fire all its weapons at full BS. According to the rule mentioned above, that would mean it could fire its secondary weapon, a single S10 shot and a S6 Large Blast.

While Tau isn't the only army who could benefit from this, indeed the Eldar Fire Prism and Necron Doomsday Ark could make use of this aswell, it is obvious (to me at least) that any benefit to the shooting phase would benefit the Tau the most.

Again, I am unable to disprove this with RAW so I would like to ask all of you to help me with this.

Thank you all for your time :)

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Re: Weapon Profile Issue

Post#2 » Mar 24 2017 04:37

Oh I do enjoy a good rules-interaction thread. I don't have BRB available right now so I can't comment on whether I agree with your interpretation, but my mouth waters a little bit at the thought of applying it to an Y'vahra. Or a Stormsurge with Blastcannon. A standard loadout Taunar has three weapons with double profiles for maximum cheese.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Mar 24 2017 06:44

"If a weapon can fire in more than one mode, or can fire more than one type of ammo, select a weapon mode/ammo type – treat weapons firing different modes/ammo types as differently named weapons."

Look at the full sentence and whether "weapon" is singular or plural. "weapons firing different modes" means ie. having a double CIB crisis and firing only one of the CIBs in overcharge mode.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Mar 24 2017 07:07

Gragagrogog wrote:"If a weapon can fire in more than one mode, or can fire more than one type of ammo, select a weapon mode/ammo type – treat weapons firing different modes/ammo types as differently named weapons."

Look at the full sentence and whether "weapon" is singular or plural. "weapons firing different modes" means ie. having a double CIB crisis and firing only one of the CIBs in overcharge mode.

^this. It speaks about multiple of the same weapons in a unit/on a model with more than one profile.

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Mar 30 2017 05:47

A quick question on taunar weapon profile...

pulse ordnance; str D, ap2, ordance 1

So when rolling penetrate vs vehicles, i get to roll 2 dice and pick the highest result as per ordnance profiles and still follow destroyer weapon table profiles for the result.

basically;
Choose target, yes its within LOS and range
Roll scatter dice, e.g. blast template direct hit on 1 vehicle
Roll 2 dice (as per ordnance instead of 1 dice on that 1 vehicle)
Pick the highest result between those 2 dice
See the destroyer table for the result
resolve..

True or false?

Btw, how to resolve the enemy units from inside the vehicles which gets exploded/destroyed by the Destoyer weapon?

Return to “Archival Datacore”