Tau close combat & 8th Edition

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
Blade Runner
Shas'Saal

Tau close combat & 8th Edition

Post#1 » Mar 28 2017 10:21

To start I am very new to playing, but have been into and modelling 40k for 18 years. So I am no expert in playing or on the rules. This is just opinion based.

I love Tau, I love ranged warfare. But I also love the sudden fast elite combat sudden strike (eg: medievil heavy cavalry, etc...). In video games I've always combined the two, range to weaken, then sudden heavy strike to finish off. I know xv8s can somewhat fill this void (especially farsight enclaves) or even kroot to an extent.

With 8th edition coming out it looks like close combat will be easier, faster, and more devastating.

I know this isn't very Tau to want this but, my hope is that Tau will get a heavy hitting close combat unit. Maybe a unit of XV22s that only do close combat with stats that accommodate that fighting style. Mini fusion blades, shields, etc...

Watcher on the wall
Shas'Saal

Re: Tau close combat & 8th Edition

Post#2 » Mar 28 2017 10:40

Not very Tau I agree, but do I think an agressive close combat unit (but quite squishy) would work quite well with enclave armies.
I had thought of something along the lines of this:
(For XV8 suits only)
Standard powers weapons/thunder hammers etc for similar prices
An 'Automated Combat Subroutines' support system (think the suit AI already knowing a range of martial arts moves) which gives +2 WS and +2 I for 10/15 points.

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Mar 28 2017 10:43

I just want Kroot to become decent at it again.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#4 » Mar 28 2017 11:32

Please do not start wishlisting.
It is against our primers and our overall goal of having interesting and useful content.

We do not know how will be the 8th ed rules and we have close to no infos on how tau will be.

Tau having melee units: fluff retcon (even kroots are viewed as infiltrators rather than cc fighters)

Meshuggah
Shas

Post#5 » Mar 29 2017 11:22

Unicornsilovethem wrote:I just want Kroot to become decent at it again.

In the "Dawn of War" series, the Kroot were a main part of my army. Tank n Spank has always worked, however, i've been watching tabletop games on YouTube where the Kroot basically help distract for a very short amount of time then die. It's not always that fast, but most of the time. When they were "decent", what was it that made them decent? Were they tankier, faster, or more versatile? I want to know because I would like to invest more into Kroot and Kroot hounds.

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Mar 29 2017 12:33

Compared to 4e(5e), they lost an extra attack and got AP5 instead. It was possible to charge instead of firing rapid fire, do roughly equal damage to the enemy as if they were shooting and lock them in combat for a few turns.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Mar 30 2017 01:30

I understand the concern of close combat getting streamlined in 8th and from what I've seen (the merest of glimpses mind you) I would be more concerned with how devastating ballistic output is going to be.

With bolt weaponry receiving an overall -1 to armor saves that means that a volley from some space marines is going to rip apart a Firewarrior squad, heck, even a Crisis team.

With the hints emphasizing a shift toward 'themed' armies there will be many more troop options who will just be massacred right and left, perhaps becoming more of a 'delivery system' for the more elite elements which will then get into close combat.

There is no question that 8th hopes to be a quicker, more streamlined game, but I think that ultimately CC is going to be even rarer (and more brutal).
~Good Hunting

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Mar 30 2017 06:32

Calmsword wrote:I understand the concern of close combat getting streamlined in 8th and from what I've seen (the merest of glimpses mind you) I would be more concerned with how devastating ballistic output is going to be.

With bolt weaponry receiving an overall -1 to armor saves that means that a volley from some space marines is going to rip apart a Firewarrior squad, heck, even a Crisis team.

With the hints emphasizing a shift toward 'themed' armies there will be many more troop options who will just be massacred right and left, perhaps becoming more of a 'delivery system' for the more elite elements which will then get into close combat.

There is no question that 8th hopes to be a quicker, more streamlined game, but I think that ultimately CC is going to be even rarer (and more brutal).

Well it's not like Firewarrior aren't get ripped apart by everything already as is. I stopped hoping for them to survive any serious shooting ages ago. :D

I just hope we will get the -2 modifier as in Shadow Wars. That would make Pulse Weapon SO much better. Reducing Marines Powerarmor to a mere 5+ while wounding them on 3+ with our simple troop infantry sounds scary af....i want! :D

But the themed armies thing is interesting. What are they going to do for Tau here? Will we get points for not using big suits in an army? That could be interesting. Points for not using Auxiliary races? Well d'uh almost everybody would get it then in their default lists considering our lackluster choice of Auxiliary races to include. Is it a simply "play 100% Tau stuff"? That would be incredibly boring designed since that's how most player play already anyway.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Mar 30 2017 09:15

We need the Muay Tau detachment - filled with S+1 AP2 melee weapons!

---

I use 1x Canoptek Harvest to deal with my melee problems

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Mar 30 2017 12:09

Vector Strike wrote:We need the Muay Tau detachment - filled with S+1 AP2 melee weapons!

---

How about the Ethereal Council? 3-7 Ethereals and all of them with either Equalizer for AP4 melee or Honour Blade for S5 melee.
Oh and it's only worth like 7 Victory Points for a unit with T3 and a 5+ armor. :D :D

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Mar 30 2017 08:52

Panzer wrote:
Vector Strike wrote:We need the Muay Tau detachment - filled with S+1 AP2 melee weapons!

---

How about the Ethereal Council? 3-7 Ethereals and all of them with either Equalizer for AP4 melee or Honour Blade for S5 melee.
Oh and it's only worth like 7 Victory Points for a unit with T3 and a 5+ armor. :D :D

I've theoryhammered with a friend before - it loses to a unit of those Dark Eldar birds, and the birds don't even need the beastman!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Apr 05 2017 03:05

Sooo uhm...we got some more rumours from a rather serious source abot 8th edition. Not sure if I'm allowed to post the link here now or not though since it's technically not something under copyright since lol....

Security Drone
Kor'Vesa

Post#13 » Apr 05 2017 05:37

Thread subject: not related to rule clarification.

Thread content: wishlisting.

Solution: terminate discussion.

Thread locked. Have a pleasant day, citizen.

Return to “Archival Datacore”