Riptide Unit & Nova Thrust Move

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
Pogman
Shas'Saal

Riptide Unit & Nova Thrust Move

Post#1 » Mar 30 2017 12:55

Quick question, if I have a unit of 2 or more riptides. And say one gets nova and I select nova profile on its weapon, and the other gets nova and chooses the jump move, is that legal? Do both get the 4d6 jump?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Riptide Unit & Nova Thrust Move

Post#2 » Mar 30 2017 12:59

It's completely legal. However only that one Riptide would get the move. You can use it to try to get a bit more behind cover or to let it jump from one side of the unit to the other etc. but your other Riptide wouldn't be able to move that far.

It's the same issue as having Drones in Firewarrior/Pathfinder unit. ;)

Pogman
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Mar 30 2017 01:06

Makes sense. And the I'd have to roll separate thrust rolls for each?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Mar 30 2017 01:33

Hm that's a good question. Normally you roll only once for a unit. Maaaaybe i was a bit quick with answering here. :D

Mirth
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Mar 30 2017 03:03

I would agree with your interpretation Panzer, but I'm not a rules expert. ;) Logically though, it makes sense that you would roll separately for each if you selected the jump move for one and main weapon for the other.
When we forget we are soldiers, we stop fighting.

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Mar 30 2017 07:47

Yeah never really thought about this.
Say a unit of riptide with 3 models in it (this is a unit so must have unit coherency when moving yes?)

If 2 model ripide rolls nova profile for ripple fire while 1 model of riptide in that unit roll nova profile goes for thrust 4d6.

hence so when that 1 model riptide thrust 4d6, the whole unit with the remaining 2 model riptide also goes along with him although they have NOT roll that nova profile?

Because if only 1 model in that unit goes 4d6 away, wouldn't that break unit coherency? :eek:

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Mar 30 2017 08:56

A unit must finish all its movements (no matter the phase) in unit coherency. Jet Pack Thrust Move is a "can move up to 2d6", not "must move 2d6" (Hit & Run has such limitation). So, even if one of the Riptides can move 4d6 in the Thrust move, it cannot end such movement outside unit coherency.

azlanpower
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Mar 30 2017 09:50

Vector Strike wrote:A unit must finish all its movements (no matter the phase) in unit coherency. Jet Pack Thrust Move is a "can move up to 2d6", not "must move 2d6" (Hit & Run has such limitation). So, even if one of the Riptides can move 4d6 in the Thrust move, it cannot end such movement outside unit coherency.

I see. So essentially;
1. In a unit of 3 model riptide, DO NOT roll for nova profile 4d6 move unless you ALL the models in that unit to thrust with nova profile 4d6
2. Nova thrust 4d6 seems like only useful for a single 1 model 1 unit riptide himself because of the unit coherency problems if used in a more than 1 model unit riptide

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Mar 31 2017 03:05

How I would play it. Say you have a 3 Riptide unit with models A B C. A&B get the 4d6 Nova power and C fails his Nova roll (or picks another power, whatever).

Movement is done on a model basis. This is what lets you use JSJ with a Sniper Team. So two of your Riptides are able to jump 4d6, and the last one can jump 2d6.

Models with the same random movement roll together. This is how it works for the regular 2d6 jump. So you first roll 4d6 for Riptide A and B, and then 2d6 for Riptide C.

After moving, you must be in coherency. However, the extra jump movement is useful for e.g. letting A and B jump over C. Relative positioning is important in a unit of models with multiple wounds or different loadouts. Because maybe C has only one wound left and that's why he chose the 3++ instead, and now he'll be behind the other two so he'll be relatively safe..

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Mar 31 2017 06:00

azlanpower wrote:
Vector Strike wrote:A unit must finish all its movements (no matter the phase) in unit coherency. Jet Pack Thrust Move is a "can move up to 2d6", not "must move 2d6" (Hit & Run has such limitation). So, even if one of the Riptides can move 4d6 in the Thrust move, it cannot end such movement outside unit coherency.

I see. So essentially;
1. In a unit of 3 model riptide, DO NOT roll for nova profile 4d6 move unless you ALL the models in that unit to thrust with nova profile 4d6
2. Nova thrust 4d6 seems like only useful for a single 1 model 1 unit riptide himself because of the unit coherency problems if used in a more than 1 model unit riptide

1. Not entirely the case. The model that has the 4D6 Nova may roll on 4D6, it just has to stay within coherency of the other models in that unit. You can get better positioning of the 4D6 model to maybe tank a weaker Riptide as others have suggested, or put it closer to an objective, etc.

2. Sooooort of. See #1.

IIRC, you are not allowed to purposefully move yourself out of coherency if you can stay in coherency. So keep that in mind.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Return to “Archival Datacore”