Strength from Death and You

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
GuidingOlive
Shas'Saal

Strength from Death and You

Post#1 » Mar 31 2017 03:36

For those unaware, I am a competitive player. So I often find these fiddly little questions that actually have a large scale impact on the game. And here is one of them.

Tau Riptide Unit 1: Vre'Khan Vre'Naga and Vre'Kais
Ynnari Reborn Warhost A
Jetbike Farseer
Warlock Conclave

6 units of Windriders

Khan shoots Unit A of Windriders, utilizing Target Locks Naga and Kais shoot B and C respectively.
When does Strength from Death occur? When Khan's unit dies? When the Riptides have to switch profiles (assume the other two didn't kill their units)? Or when all firing has completed?

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Strength from Death and You

Post#2 » Mar 31 2017 03:56

As a competetive player you should keep an eye on the FAQs. ;)

"Q: What happens with a multi-unit attack, such as a
nova power, that triggers Strength from Death before
completely resolving?
A: In the case of nova powers, templates or blasts,
resolve that attack completely before taking any
Soulburst actions."

Following this entry I'd say once you are done with your attack. So if all three have Burst Cannons you do all of those before Soulburst comes into play but if you have a mix of Burst Cannons and Ion Cannons the Soulburst would squeeze inbetween once you are done with one of the weapons (only if it killed a unit of course).

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/03/new-gathering-storm-ii-faq/

GuidingOlive
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Mar 31 2017 08:27

I do keep track of the FAQs very well. Unfortunately, it doesn't say anything about shots. And while I'm happy to throw that out there as the basis of an argument it ultimately doesn't say shots so RAW it has nothing to do with my case. I know, it's bull how that doesn't apply but that's how the competitive scene likes to act.

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Mar 31 2017 05:52

If we are to follow the FAQ, it is telling us to not interrupt the shooting/psychic unit to do Soulburst, but to finish it first then do Soulburst.

Imagine your Cleansing Flame hits two enemy units. One of those units is completely wiped out. The other is damaged. The FAQ tells us to finish the rolls on both units before you take a Soulburst action. The exact same thing would happen with target lock. You have a single unit striking two targets. Resolve their actions before you Soulburst.

Therefore, Soulburst would not "slip in" between weapon types from the same unit. Soulburst becomes available whenever the unit is completely finished with its actions. This makes sense in order to keep it from getting too confusing.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Return to “Archival Datacore”