Markerlight Splitfire Question

A review of Rules of Engagement from earlier encounters.
TheKneesOfRaj
Shas

Markerlight Splitfire Question

Post#1 » Jun 10 2017 12:04

So I'm trying to understand this while reading the rules of the shooting phase and splitfiring units.

Say I have a 10 man Strike Team with a Shas'ui armed with a markerlight and the rest with pusle rifles.

Do I HAVE to resolve the rest of my Strike Team's shots IMMEDIATELY after firing the Markerlight? Or can I fire all my armies other Markerlights then go back and do everything else? Because I was under the impression that you HAD to declare all of a units firing then/before rolling to hit.

This seems problematic for myself and others as I've seen many lists on here with a similar configuration for their Strike Teams with supposedly split fire in mind. Specifically if I wanna use a markerlight from a Shas'ui, is the rest of the unit going to have to fire on a target that will later get more markerlights on it in that same shooting phase? Thus reducing the potential effectiveness of their pulse rifles?

DISCUSS!
-Raj

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Markerlight Splitfire Question

Post#2 » Jun 10 2017 12:12

I haven't got my rulebook yet(as its not out yet, duh) but I imagine that all shooting within a unit must be resolved before moving onto another unit, like normal.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Markerlight Splitfire Question

Post#3 » Jun 10 2017 01:46

TheKneesOfRaj wrote:Do I HAVE to resolve the rest of my Strike Team's shots IMMEDIATELY after firing the Markerlight? Or can I fire all my armies other Markerlights then go back and do everything else? Because I was under the impression that you HAD to declare all of a units firing then/before rolling to hit.

This seems problematic for myself and others as I've seen many lists on here with a similar configuration for their Strike Teams with supposedly split fire in mind. Specifically if I wanna use a markerlight from a Shas'ui, is the rest of the unit going to have to fire on a target that will later get more markerlights on it in that same shooting phase? Thus reducing the potential effectiveness of their pulse rifles?
-Raj

Sadly this is one of the drawbacks of "hidden markerlights." There's not much benefit in going for 5x Markerlights on one target, so instead try to go for re-rolling 1s on all of your shooting units. Personally I'm running Aun'va to give my infantry re-rolling 1s, then using Markerlights to tag enemies who the infantry won't be shooting.

Here's one way to use the Shas'ui Markrlight though. First, fire a single model's Markerlight, like a Cadre Fireblade's or Darkstrider's, at Target A. Then have a Fire Warrior squad shoot Target A, while their Shas'ui shoots at a different Target B with his Markerlight. Then have another Fire Warrior squad shoot at Target B while their Shas'ui fires at Target C... if you don't need that many Markerlights than the Shas'ui just shoots his Pulse Rifle instead.

Anyway that's the idea. However, 50% of these Markerlights will be misses, right? If any enemy targets go un-tagged because of misses, that's where the Pathfinders fill in.

In the end though, I don't think I'll be taking more than 7 or 8 Markerlights though. Enough to get re-rolling ones for squads shooting with overcharged Ion weapons, but other than that I'll take the points savings and just invest in more Fire Warriors.

Return to “Archival Datacore”