Secondary armies - Can we learn from them?

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Martensite
Shas

Secondary armies - Can we learn from them?

Post#1 » Feb 08 2018 05:20

I searched the forum but could not find a topic similar to this. If there is one, please enlighten me. :D

I have been thinking about starting a secondary 40k army for a while now. But I can never seem to decide on which one...
Since I have only ever played Tau I should probably go for something with decent melee capabilties, just to spice things up.

This has got me thinking however. Can playing a completely different army help me improve my Tau game?
Of course, the more games you play with an army, the better you get at that army (hopefully). But can only playing one army make your strategic thinking a bit narrow? Could playing another army with a completely different playstyle perhaps help you develop some wacky "outside the box" tactics for Tau?

I don't know, since I have yet to start and play a secondary army. But I hope this is the case.

With that said. What other armies do you guys play in 8th? Have you learned something from them that you could apply to your Tau games?
A roll of 4+ fails 75% of the time... every time.

Beerson
Shas'Saal

Re: Secondary armies - Can we learn from them?

Post#2 » Feb 08 2018 05:53

Knowing the game from enemy viewpoint is definitely going to help you with your primary army, if you are picking your secondary army based on what can they teach you, I would go for chaos, theay have it all, hordes of cultists, elite terminators, melee berzerkers, sorcerers etc.

But in my opinion choosing second army should be something you like, like army you read a book about and liked their story, personality, approach to combat, or simply just their look

Also, for learning, consider getting tabletop simulator, you can play any army there, any models, online anytime

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Feb 08 2018 06:04

I started with Eldar - I just liked the models and their doomed storyline.

Then I got into tau - because they are the only true good guys in a dark galaxy. I like their self-belief, optimism and tech.

I like Kroot for their primitiveness and contrast with their Tau allies and added a couple of units and some knarlocs to my Tau army until quite by accident I found I had enough for a Kroot army (with a Tau HQ).

One summer 4 of us did a Nid planet assault. I was one of the two Nid players. I like them because of the gorefest that ensues regardless of which side is winning. A strangely relaxing experience as I don't care whether they die or not, unlike how I feel when playing my other armies.

So, my advice is pick what you like rather than what is effective. At least for me it is the background story, character of the race, and look of the models that makes me enjoy painting and playing them. Winning is nice of course but the best games are where you can enjoy your opponent's triumph too :D

Martensite
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 08 2018 06:27

Thanks for the answers. I would never pick another army just to get better. Fluff and Looks > gameplay. :D
But if I could learn something at the same time, it would of course be a nice bonus! So I thought it could make for some good discussions.
A roll of 4+ fails 75% of the time... every time.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Feb 08 2018 11:45

Tau is my 1st 40k army. I wanted some human helpers, so IG became my 2nd army; then it out grew tau and became my primary army. I wanted some small armies to compliment them, so I got orks. I've always wanted some orcs/orks, since I didn't collect orcs, orks was a must as a choice. Started collecting DE due to their excellent model line. I originally didn't want them as I collect their fantasy cousin.

Over the years, I build some small tertiary armies from boxsets. I have some GSC, chaos, renegades, deathwatch, and IK. Though IK could be my 5th army.
For the greater good!

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Feb 10 2018 10:30

Martensite wrote:I searched the forum but could not find a topic similar to this. If there is one, please enlighten me. :D

I have been thinking about starting a secondary 40k army for a while now. But I can never seem to decide on which one...
Since I have only ever played Tau I should probably go for something with decent melee capabilties, just to spice things up.

This has got me thinking however. Can playing a completely different army help me improve my Tau game?
Of course, the more games you play with an army, the better you get at that army (hopefully). But can only playing one army make your strategic thinking a bit narrow? Could playing another army with a completely different playstyle perhaps help you develop some wacky "outside the box" tactics for Tau?

I don't know, since I have yet to start and play a secondary army. But I hope this is the case.

With that said. What other armies do you guys play in 8th? Have you learned something from them that you could apply to your Tau games?

I love tau and I think it's probably the easiest Army to get acquainted with 40K since there's less things you need to know about to get started.

I just started my second Army Friday. I decided to go ultramarines because I am a power gamer (#Guilliman). I picked up that second Army because I like the saves that terminators have. I'm focusing on close combat assault terminators to be a direct opposite of my Tau a shooting Army. Because my tau collection does not have any psykers I'm also playing around with them as well.
I think tau was the perfect army for me to start Warhammer 40k with by ignore strategic combat and pyschker stratagies. Once I have two thousand points for Space Marines I will move on to Orcs.
I think multiple armies help and hinder your tau player abilities. It helps if you play against an army that own by giving strategic insight on what the opponent's army is capable of. It hurts by causing your brain to make mistakes from forgeting tau nuances and evaluating situations incorrectly. It's easy enough to adjust, but switching back to tau will probably take a few games to readjust to start playing tau optimally again. I'm basing this conclusion on my competitive magic tournament experiences switching between decks frequently.

Torch
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Feb 11 2018 12:54

I've been playing between Guard and Orks in addition to Tau. The interesting part is that you start to realize what the other army pays for stuff and what they can do. So you don't get any surprises when fighting them and you can prioritize better. Other than that, it's a good way to keep the hobby fresh. Tired of painting sleek armor? Go paint an Ork nob. etc...

If you want to start slow, you can try a Shadow War team first and go from there.

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Feb 11 2018 12:28

In 8th I've not played any other armies having sold them all, but T'au was my last army to start originally IG because the 1st and only got me into 4k then dark eldar for drug abusive soul stealing space pirates what's not to love? :D also had a black templar army and finally T'au.

If I was going to start a new army now tempestus draw me the most but then new drukhari book coming soon.

As for learning from other armies definitely, when I used to play competitive (before wife and kids) I owned every codex and every fantasy army book, knowing your enemy and different tactics and playstyles definitely improves your game.

bansh
Shas

Post#9 » Feb 14 2018 02:38

Tau was my primary army, and then towards the end of 7th i shifted to gsc and nids, id always the idea of nids, but also got a little tired of how easy it was for my tau on the tabletop, i wasn't pickinf a super competitive list, but its amazing what a strong codex and solid tactics can acheive.

So i went for gsc first as i wanted some reasonable shooting to go with my melèe....i needed the comfort and familiarity of atleast 1 phase, my nids are the opposite of my tau, in 2k list i have 30 dev gaunts, 4deathspitters 4 venom cannons and 2 tfex for shooting....the other 120+ models are purely cc oriented,.

Going that deep into a totally different playstyle has definitely developed my strategies and deployment styles

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Feb 14 2018 03:30

bansh wrote:Tau was my primary army, and then towards the end of 7th i shifted to gsc and nids, id always the idea of nids, but also got a little tired of how easy it was for my tau on the tabletop, i wasn't pickinf a super competitive list, but its amazing what a strong codex and solid tactics can acheive.

So i went for gsc first as i wanted some reasonable shooting to go with my melèe....i needed the comfort and familiarity of atleast 1 phase, my nids are the opposite of my tau, in 2k list i have 30 dev gaunts, 4deathspitters 4 venom cannons and 2 tfex for shooting....the other 120+ models are purely cc oriented,.

Going that deep into a totally different playstyle has definitely developed my strategies and deployment styles

I agree with that sentiment. That's why I'm steering my space Marine army into melee/pyschkers and not shooters. It gives a different spin to playing the game :)

IceFall
Shas

Post#11 » Feb 14 2018 05:26

I started with Tau then - like you - thought about purchasing other armies with almost the opposite 'style' ...although for me it was because I finished painting my Tau army. I settled on Space Wolves (I had some models) and then bought an entire Custodes army too. Both are melee armies. Before purchasing the Custodes I read up as much as I could, and then also Space Wolves to round it off.

Thinking about it now - maintaining a second army makes does one think outside the box (more Custodes than SW as only Custodes have codex) but won't influence the play-style of Tau - Tau seem to be their own unique thing. Until there is a Tau Codex there cannot be too much to learn because we don't now know the extent of what Tau can do and how much they can leverage in common with other armies (relics/stratagems/WL traits etc).

I would say however, an imperium army does give one the opportunity to paint in an entirely different style.
My Project Log and Army: viewtopic.php?t=26860

Return to “Engaging the Alien”