Imperial Knights - A new foe on the horizon...

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Nevar
Shas'Vre

Re: Imperial Knights - A new foe on the horizon...

Post#131 » Sep 16 2014 11:33

Perhaps I am not being clear by the responses I am getting.

I can kill an Imperial Knight. I can do so with humorous ease.

I play Enclaves for Aun's sake, I am well versed in the application of drop fusion.

The question, is how do you kill three of them? Or five of them? They are their own bloody codex, someone can just field 5 of these guys and case closed.

How do you manage to kill one, two, three, and still survive with last two that snuff out your crisis teams?

Sorry, but two s8 ap3 large blasts per knight means vaporized XV-8 teams once they land. That is armor ignoring instant kill plates... and each knight fires -two- a piece.

If I played six teams of drop fusion, perhaps I could remove five knights... but then what about every other army out there that I still have to face?

boomwolf
Shas'La

Post#132 » Sep 17 2014 12:48

The easy answer? MOAR SUITS, but that is being childish and silly, and we? are professionals.

The hard answer-you don't even try.

The enemy fields 5 knights? that's his entire army even in a big 1850 list!
Do you really need to table the opponent in order to win? spoiler: not, yo don't.
No, you need just to destroy enough of him to assure he will not destroy too much of you.

So what DO you do?
Well, it depends on your army setup, but there are multiple correct answers.

If you are like how I sometimes play and field an absurdly high portion of your army as fusion suits (I got AV heavy meta), you really do go hunting the knights, and aim at the ones that are near each other to try to cause chain reactions. (seriously, I had 8 double-fusions running at 1200 points once, the conclusion was "not enough fusion were brought to this game")

If you are a riptide spam force, you want to take down enough knights, so the riptides can jump around outside of their reach, or try to find areas of terrain where you can block assaults by finding somewhere to stand that they cant physically fit next to (that's cheesy though, will not recommend in casual play)

Going TAC? do like I recently started to do when facing the unknown and make sure that your units are all "TAC units". what does that mean? that ALL your units can, without exception, at least provide a small level of threat against any possible target. fire warriors with EMP can hurt anything, HBC riptides can hurt anything, submunnition railheads can hurt anything, etc, etc. that way the knights find themselves unable to focus on any single anti-tank threat (even fire warriors do some work, for example, an 8-man team of warriors gave me 2 hull points stripped off a knight, that's decent efficiency compared to costs-and its not off the expected result)

Other playstyles demand other answers, but the key is usually just not to go head on into the knights as a whole, but whittle them down and then play AROUND the survivors.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#133 » Sep 17 2014 02:16

boomwolf wrote:The enemy fields 5 knights? that's his entire army even in a big 1850 list!
Do you really need to table the opponent in order to win? spoiler: not, yo don't.
No, you need just to destroy enough of him to assure he will not destroy too much of you.

As far as i can tell this is the best option that you have. Just as boomwolf sayes.

don't try to table him. This is a game of objectives. If you can kill two oh his, he has three. If you then have enough stuff left to secure those objectives, and stack those cards you can win on tactical objective.
I understand the bloodthirst you have - turn them all to rusty rivets - is what you would love to do. But sadly against this foe, as you see such an option is extremely limited especially in a pure Tau army.
Instead of Conqueror, being the wise general instead, crippling your opponent s force to get some breathing room and then using fast unit to secure objectives might be the best way to go.

Lets say you have 6 objectives - the moment you kill 2 of his 5 knights, he can no longer win the game just by the numbers. At best he can get tie - if you play with the objective cards, its more random, but that can benefit you as well as him, as you never know what objective the card holds.
Not that i like that type of play either, but that might be the best option......

shasocastris
Shas'Vre

Post#134 » Sep 19 2014 12:23

Not to sound terribly facetious, but why not just bring shield generators? The are terribly expensive (each double fusion suit now being 77 pts), but they are a solid way to keep crisis suits alive against the inevitable backlash. Especially considering that if you use your jump move to spread out to max coherency after hitting a knight, I'm pretty sure the ordnance template can only hit one suit.

Each suit is 40mm base, so 20mm radius + 2" = 2.787", which is more than the radius of the ordnance template, so each battle cannon, on a hit, can only target one suit. So that's (slightly less) than two saves on a unit per knight, which is one lost suit. Seems like pretty good odds to me.

Also, what about stealth suits? Many less meltas but a much higher survivability. Or having Shadowsun join a unit of suits deep striking? Piranhas with seeker missiles? Honestly, we have options, and there is no codex that is as good at killing vehicles than we are.

Lastly, and perhaps a bit of heresy, has anyone tried either Farsight, fusion blades, onager gauntlet (or all of the above) on a knight? Melee is not the best place to be, for sure, but at least they don't have that damn invuln.

Cheers!

Myrdin
Shas

Post#135 » Sep 20 2014 04:30

I was thinking about the fusion blades, but the problem is same as with the Gauntlet - The Knight is i believe I4 (at least 3), which means the commander might not even survive till he gets to attack him.

You would have to give him some serious meat shield, which would be problematic as no meat shield we have or could have is fast enough as to let the commander deepstrike and then let them join in.
Yes you might try your luck and outflank 20 Kroot, then join them, but still....

The second problem with that strategy is - you cant blow him up in a single attack.... you simply cant..... well ok you CAN but the odds are extremely against you, so its more like "you most likely wont blow him up in single attack" (onager gauntlet). Being a superheavy, at a pen Roll you inflict additional D6 wounds.... thats not enough unless you soften him up before with some shooting, as the Commander has only 3 attacks, and WS4. Hitting on 4+ ain that hot.

It might be possible if you have a full unit of shield drones, and join them with an Onager Gauntlet, and Fusion Blade commander ((or Farsight and Fusion blade.... Or all three if you really want to go expensive).
The shield drones are really fast, have T4 which doesnt really matter as you will be facing a 2+ to wound shooting anyway, but have a 4+ invul, and come in good numbers.
Unless he charges, the Knight has 3 attacks. Lets say he hits with all of them, wounds with all of them. 3 drones dead. Ok. Not even counting the saves. Matthamer wise it would look completely different of course.
Then your Fusion blade, and Farsight go. They should be able to strip at least 4 wounds (though i d say they should be able to bring him down, both weapons being melta or armorbane you are bound to get at least one or two pens that can spill to D3 or D6 if lucky) before the stomp attack falls.

Thats just a theory tough. If anyone has the option and time to test it, be free to do so and please do share how it performed :)

reconjsh
Shas

Post#136 » Nov 23 2014 09:58

Thats just a theory tough. If anyone has the option and time to test it, be free to do so and please do share how it performed :)

So, I tried this out yesterday. I didn't know I'd be facing a Imperial Knight when I made my list... but I've been running Commander Farsight + a Fusion Blade Commander for some time now because it's fun telling an opponent "I have close combat Tau today" and then seeing them laugh before the game and then cry after they see vehicles get torn to shreds and Commander Fusion Blade insta-deathing folks. I've also, on occasion, added Aun'shi and Commander w/ Onager also. Clearly this is a goof-around list when I do so.

Here's what happened...

Farsight (FS) [warlord, no scatter Deepstrike] + Commander w/ Fusion Blades (CFB), Shield Gen, and STIMs + 2 Shield Drones all in reserves. Also, the xv109 w/ STIMs deployed on the field.

Opponent had 1 Imperial Knight (IK).

Turn 1: I ignored the Knight entirely. the IK killed a few things.

Turn 2: Reserve roll successful. FS and CFB Deepstrike to side armor of IK into melta range and xv109 does 24" jump to flank the IK at rear armor. The xv109 also Nova's his Invuln save... thinking that surviving the IK's D weapon is long-run more important. IK Invuln shield points towards FS and CFB. I didn't have enough markerlights to put extra on the IK. Shooting phase goes poorly and I take off only two hull points. Uh oh! During the assault phase, I jump FS and CFB back and then a good distance roll allows be to put the xv109 behind them in supporting fire position.

Turn 3: IK shoots at those units and takes one HP off from CFB. IK assaults FS and CFB. Overwatch and xv109 supporting fire strip one hull point off IK (three remaining). FS goes first at i5. Dawn Blade unsuccessful. IK misses all attacks in i4! Even if it didn't, the two shield drones should have helped me survive this. CFB goes on i3 and lands every hit and PENs every roll. IK dies. Apoc template does not kill anyone. Yay!

So, that was fun.

The problem with this strategy is that you have to bring Fusion Blades which isn't a strong tournament choice... so most of the time you won't have it. On the other hand, if you are tailoring a list to fight Imperial Knights, then this combo, plus some dual Fusion Blaster teams, a PEN chip somewhere, and Commander Brightsword could really wreck 2 or 3 Knights I think.

So, Myrdin, that's what happened when I tried it out. ;)

Recon.
My Cadre Log - [need better pictures]

Myrdin
Shas

Post#137 » Nov 24 2014 05:52

reconjsh wrote:So, Myrdin, that's what happened when I tried it out. ;)
Recon.

Nice ! Thanks for the report Reconjsh. Its good to see my idea tested out. Soo the fusion blades are viable after all (though expensive like hell hehe), even for Knight killing.
I guess when it comes down to numbers - the fact that Farsight completely whiffed was compensated by you stripping 2 HP during the shooting phase.
Now i do wonder how this would turn out if you could sneak a PEN somewhere in there. Did O´Shovah fail his to hit rolls or his to wound rolls ?

reconjsh
Shas

Post#138 » Nov 24 2014 07:46

I really love the Dawn Blade and Fusion Blade combo... I run it in about a third of my lists because it's fun and unexpected. High risk, high reward. ;)

I actually had a PEN chip available, but I made the (apparently correct) tactical decision to put the PEN in a different unit to take care of 3 Rhinos, hoping that O'Shovah and my Battlesuit Commader could get the job done against the IK.

As a side note, models in my army that do something particularly heroic (like slaying a Knight Errant and coming out unscathed) get a gold-rimmed base and a special name. This Commander was the second such model in my entire army... I named him: O'Run'Nan... loosely translated as "Commander Hidden Blade" since the enemy general was unaware of the lethality of the Fusion Blade.

Did O´Shovah fail his to hit rolls or his to wound rolls ?

Farsight failed all of his to-hit rolls. All 1's and 2's.

I think what I'm going to do next is run some simulations on my computer to see how effective Commander Farsight and Fusion Blade Commander + two shield drones will be. That shouldn't be hard to run a few times and get less anecdotal evidence for this combo.

Recon.
Last edited by reconjsh on Nov 24 2014 12:59, edited 3 times in total.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#139 » Nov 24 2014 10:59

I tried running some numbers for a combo of Farsight and Fusion Blade Commander (w/ Shield Generator) + two shield drones (349 points) vs. an Imperial Knight (375 points). I wanted to compare even points... obviously we could throw 1,000 points on an IK and kill it reliably.

I'd very much appreciate someone else running the numbers. I'm new to stats, so hopefully I got this correct.

EDIT: Jochmann checked the math in a later post, so I deleted it here. See next page of thread.

Synthesis/Expectations: Farsight can be expected to remove one hull point. Imperial Knight will generally remove 1-2 shield drone with its Chainsword. Commander w/ Fusion Blades can be expected to remove 1-2 hull points. Imperial Knight will stomp and generally remove one more shield drone or cause a wound.

So, the keys to this combo are:
1) softening the IK first. These numbers are close combat only.
2) Shield Generators and Shield Drones for ablative wounds.
3) There's a clear advantage charging the IK instead of waiting to be charged, when only close combat is considered.

I figure, run this with an xv109 and you can pretty much kill a Knight with confidence, especially with some PEN / Markerlight support.

Can someone confirm this? What is everyone's thoughts on this combo against an IK?

Recon.
Last edited by reconjsh on Nov 25 2014 01:31, edited 4 times in total.

Jochmann
Shas'Ui

Post#140 » Nov 24 2014 01:34

reconjsh wrote:Initiative 4:
Imperial Knight vs. Invulnerable Save - 0.625 "D3" Unsaved Wounds, 6.944% chance of Remove from play

That's not correct. As D-Weapons are treated as having S10 for the purpose of instant death, it is a 62.5% chance of Remove from play - if it is not hitting the drones. I will check your numbers later today, including the drones. First, I have to do my math-homework, though...

Return to “Engaging the Alien”