7th Editon New Ork Tactica

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
gmaleron
Shas

7th Editon New Ork Tactica

Post#1 » Jul 12 2014 07:02

Hello fellow Commanders! I am starting this thread in regards of ways to deal with the resurgence of the Green Menace and their brand new book. I have played these guys twice so far (both victories, once with my Tau and once with my IG) at only 1000pts. and since I had not seen a thread yet figured this would be a good place to start! From what I have gathered playing against the new book:

-Mek Guns are nasty and I expect competitive Ork players to spam x3 squadrons at various sizes (can go up to 5 per squad).
-The new Mob rule really hurts Orks unless they are given Eavy Armor, good for us they have to take a Mob check for EVERY failed Pinning and Morale check.
-WAAAAGH is really good now, especially since you can get it off as many times as you have a Character that has it.
-New Kustom Force Field can be a pain.

Other then that I really have not played at large enough point games to see anything else but I plan to post on this more in the future. However it is also up to you guys, lets figure out how to best counter the new and improved Orks!

reconjsh
Shas

Re: 7th Editon New Ork Tactica

Post#2 » Jul 14 2014 03:57

Do you think there will be more Stompas about?

Recon.
My Cadre Log - [need better pictures]

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 15 2014 03:52

gmaleron wrote:-The new Mob rule really hurts Orks unless they are given Eavy Armor, good for us they have to take a Mob check for EVERY failed Pinning and Morale check.
At first it is a reason to get Gun drones with assault carbines everywhere (specially at least one on FW teams).
But you need to get a Shas'ui first. Then pay for the drone for the same total cost of a naked crisis...
And it's near a single shot opportunity (18'' is very short for the 6(move)+3.5(run)+7(charge) average Waaaagh distance now).

Crisis with gun drones or drone squadrons, on the contrary, may have better chance to make them pinned more time, thanks to their thrust move.
So maybe some 4xGun Drone teams may get their use with them (no killing but just doing Pinning and maybe Morale tests then retreat).

It's sad that snipers lost Pinning rule... Kroots will have then another use...

gmaleron wrote:-New Kustom Force Field can be a pain.

Not so hard : before we have to spend 2+ ML to remove the 4+ cover field on one unit, and so the ML were not used to enhance BS.
Now we can enhance BS from 3 to 5 and lost 1/3 on invuln, so example for 6 shots with a 50% to wound and no armor save:
old : 2ML remove cover, 6shots@BS3, 3 hits, 1.5 wounds, 1.5 dead
old : 2ML increase BS, 6shots@BS5, 5 hits, 2.5 wounds, 1.25 saved on 4+ so 1.25 dead -> better to remove cover
new : 2ML increase BS, 6shots@BS5, 5 hits, 2.5 wounds, 0.83 saved on 5+ so 1.67 dead
new : 1ML increase BS, 6shots@BS4, 4 hits, 2 wounds, 0.67 saved on 5+ so 1.3 dead

Without assistance:
old : 6shots@BS3, 3 hits, 1.5 wounds, 0.75 saved on 4+ so 0.75 dead
new : 6shots@BS3, 3 hits, 1.5 wounds, 0.5 saved on 5+ so 1 dead

So now we are more effective on BS3 shots, specially with +2 BS increase instead of removing cover.

The thing that can change now is the 6+ FNP options: for any shot that cannot do ID (ie. less than S8) you can outnumber the unsaved over the pool but with some orks remaining at the end thanks to FNP...

jade_angel
Shas

Post#4 » Jul 15 2014 08:14

Actually, Crisis with gun drones seems like a really good option. Put some burst cannons on 'em, and maybe fusion blasters for blowing away transports or Meganobz, and the whole unit is based around an 18" range. Pour on enough fire to maybe kill them, and then try to pin the survivors. Don't forget, though, that if you do pin them, their lousy armor save that pulse weapons ignore becomes a (still lousy) cover save, so a few more might survive each volley. Practical upshot: fire the burst cannons and fusions first. Stealths might be useful for the same trick, but can't take as many gun drones or cannons. That said, stealth suits are very handy, especially in Farsight detachments where they're not competing for Elite slots with Crisis teams, as a mobile source of supporting fire.

Another possibly overlooked benefit: don't forget that your Pathfinders have pulse carbines and can pin. I forget that part myself, since I'm always playing against Tyranids or Daemons who mostly ignore pinning. Those Fire Warrior teams could take carbines directly, too, though I'm not sure if that makes sense, given the long charge threat ranges, unless you have a pile of flamersuits on standby...

(Speaking of Tyranids - a little bone to throw to all the 'nids players out there, learn to love barbed stranglers and stranglethorn cannons! Sounds like they'll eat the green tide for lunch.)

gmaleron
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 17 2014 07:41

Also to touch on this I have had GREAT success running these Crisis Suits for my Farsight Enclaves:

-x2 Crisis Suits
*w/ x2 Fusion Blasters, x1 Flamer, x1 Target Lock

Jump down and pop a transport with one and then flame the occupants with another, its quite gratifying!

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#6 » Jul 17 2014 09:46

Popping transport then killing its passengers cannot be done with a single unit (like Split fire USR tell):
You pick one main target and secondary target before doing any shooting. So you cannot target an unit not disembarked.

The only way to do what you tell need less tools (that works too with DE wyches in raiders) : some Crisis with single FB and single Flamer shooting at a trukk. No TL needed
-They shoot the flamers firsts, hitting the trukk and doing 2D6 hits on passengers
-They fire the blasters, making the truk hopefully explode twice, doing others wounds on passengers

gmaleron
Shas

Post#7 » Jul 22 2014 07:49

Kael'yn wrote:Popping transport then killing its passengers cannot be done with a single unit (like Split fire USR tell):
You pick one main target and secondary target before doing any shooting. So you cannot target an unit not disembarked.

The only way to do what you tell need less tools (that works too with DE wyches in raiders) : some Crisis with single FB and single Flamer shooting at a trukk. No TL needed
-They shoot the flamers firsts, hitting the trukk and doing 2D6 hits on passengers
-They fire the blasters, making the truk hopefully explode twice, doing others wounds on passengers

You are correct, still am somewhat new to Tau and glad I got this worked out (thankfully never really tested it out beforehand!). However since it seems that not many people on here are talking let me post some more ideas that I have come up with after playing the new Orks again:

-Fire Warriors with Pulse Carbines give Ork Boyz fits! Took x2 Devilfish with x6 Fire Warriors and kept forcing them to take Mob Rule after Mob Rule.
-Bikes are troublesome, cheap with lots of cheap TL Dakka and getting into your face turn 2 really can cause issues.
-Meganobz...bring plasma, all I need to say to that, if running Crisis Suit heavy would recommend at least x1 team of them.
-The new Mek Gunz if spammed can really bring the pain, even to your Riptide. If someone is taking an excess of 10 or more would advise targeting them ASAP.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#8 » Jul 23 2014 07:34

gmaleron wrote:-Meganobz...bring plasma, all I need to say to that, if running Crisis Suit heavy would recommend at least x1 team of them.

DualPlasma crisis or an Iontide with a blast. If they are close to a massed pulse fire (specially under a KFF), the FW teams may works too.

gmaleron wrote:-Fire Warriors with Pulse Carbines give Ork Boyz fits! Took x2 Devilfish with x6 Fire Warriors and kept forcing them to take Mob Rule after Mob Rule.

It works if there is no buffing Ld IC in the mob (or rerolls like in the StormClaws formation). But carbines are a little too short ranged to be used on FW.
Gun drones have the jetpack move and 2x 6xGD are cheaper and more resilent than 2x 6xFW + Devilfishes.

gmaleron wrote:-Bikes are troublesome, cheap with lots of cheap TL Dakka and getting into your face turn 2 really can cause issues.

Most of all the Orks can get into CC in turn 2 with the Waaagh rule, so the most important problems are the T5, Zoom and Hammer of Wrath.
Again, a hail of pulse/burst fire, supported with ML can help with volume of fire (keeping your crisis behind a wall of FW for example).
Deathrains and Missilesides are nice tools too, specially with Ignore Cover.

gmaleron wrote:-The new Mek Gunz if spammed can really bring the pain, even to your Riptide. If someone is taking an excess of 10 or more would advise targeting them ASAP.

Then put some outflanking sniper kroots / DualFlamers-AFP-DualBC deepstriking Crisis / Stealths / piranhas to kill the weak grots (they are the weak point of the unit) since the gunz can't be targetted.
Sniper kroots will be good to ignore the T7 of the gunz and have a good volume of fire to kill enough grots to make them panic. Too bad snipers have not anymore Pinning.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”