Eldrad Ulthran, a real pain

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
TheCoolShark900
Shas

Eldrad Ulthran, a real pain

Post#1 » Aug 20 2014 03:21

Hello all, I play my brother a lot and he plays Eldar. We only started 40k properly at Christmas and so we do not have very large lists. His list is:

Troops
8 Guardians (yes, not legal)
3 Rangers (again, not legal)
3 Windrider Guardians (finally, something legal)

Elites
6 Fire Dragons with a Wave Serpent
6 Howling Banshees (on the production line though)

HQ
Eldrad Ulthran
Eldrad is the real pain of this list, my brother always throws him with the Guardians who always meat shield him and I've never been able to kill him. As I do not have much that is able to kill him and everything that can is off killing other things.

My list:

HQ
Cadre Fireblade

Troops
6 Fire Warriors in a Devilfish
6 Fire Warriors

Elites
3 Stealth Suits

Fast Attack
1 Piranha

Heavy Support
1 Hammerhead with Ion Cannon

Production Line:
2 Riptides
a Unit of Pathfinders

What do you suggest I can do to defeat Eldrad first turn(or the damage he causes will make it hard to win) while still destroying the wave serpent

My Brothers Tactics:

Guardians walk and run then shoot when they're in range
Jetbikes harass the rear of the Piranha
Rangers snipe the Fire Warriors
Fire Dragons wait until something like turn three to jump out, shoot D'fish until destroyed then go to Hammerhead
No idea what the Banshees will do (probably run at my Fire Warriors)
As you can see my stealth suits are left untouched by Infantry, instead the Wave Serpent shoots at them
How should I get Eldrad?
Big Guns Never Tire???
"Longstrike, wake up"

Morollan
Shas

Re: Eldrad Ulthran, a real pain

Post#2 » Aug 20 2014 03:44

I'm not entirely sure how a unit of 8 T3, 5+ save models is any sort of problem to take out for a Tau army. Virtually anything you shoot at them will kill them and you'll end up with Eldrad on his own, at which point he's dead.

Just shoot them with Fire Warriors
Submunition rounds from the Hammerhead
Infiltrate your stealth suits as close as you can to the Guardians, hit them with some markerlights then open up with your burst cannon. Just 4 markerlight hits is enough to pretty much guarantee killing the entire Guardian unit (+2BS, Ignore Cover).

TheCoolShark900
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 20 2014 04:03

The main problem is, the Stealth Suits are taking out the Wave Serpent and he always (don't know how) gets first turn so I normally lose about three fire warriors and I sometimes lose a Stealth to the wave serpent and sometimes the Piranha loses a hull point to the Jetbikes sometimes another two or three Firewarriors. The Hammerhead could do I suppose but do you have any other ideas to have different ideas focus fire on the Hammerhead and I can still destroy Eldrad
Big Guns Never Tire???
"Longstrike, wake up"

Morollan
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 21 2014 03:13

Apart from the Wave Serpent and Rangers, everything he has in his list has an effective range of less than 24". It should be possible to have your entire army out of range of his entire army on the first turn and then your longer range guns can start picking him off. Having 2nd turn is usually better anyway as you can make a late grab for objectives.

tekkblade
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 21 2014 10:03

For starters make him play a legal list, or tell him you're allowed to proxy whatever you want since he isn't playing by the rules.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#6 » Aug 21 2014 10:23

Did you buy the Battle Force box? Your list sort of looks like you did. If so, can you field the crisis suits (arguably the best unit type Tau get)? If not, the BF Box could be a nice purchase for you... if purchasing stuff isn't out of the question.

And, I agree with Tekkblade. Your list is Battle Forged... make him do the same, assuming his is, in fact, not Battle Forged. I don't know Eldar well enough to say.

Recon.
My Cadre Log - [need better pictures]

jade_angel
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 21 2014 11:36

His list would be battle-forged if it had two more Guardian Defenders and two more Rangers; both units are below minimum sizes.

As it stands he's running almost 100 more points than you, too, and that just gets worse if you expand the Guardians and Rangers to legal minimum sizes. (I'm assuming no shinies in anyone's list, except a fusion blaster on one Stealth suit. Upgrades on the Serpent get expensive fast, but then, so do upgrades on the Piranha, Devilfish and Hammerhead)

So, for starters - have him run Eldrad as a regular Farseer instead. Not that Farseers aren't nasty, but bringing the points in parity will help.

What psychic powers is he using, anyway? You have to roll for them, so the Primaris powers are the only ones you can reliably count on a particular psyker getting. Eldrad gets four, sure, so he's got good odds.

TheCoolShark900
Shas

Post#8 » Aug 24 2014 10:27

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't get the battleforce though.
I have completed one Riptide and converted a Fire Warrior into a Cadre Fireblade enough to allow it to be used in the battle and he has completed his howling banshees.
I do have a Fusion Blaster on Stealth Suit and he has a scatter laser.
So, tactics: Let him go first but deploy out of range of his guns. Kill Eldrad & Guardians with Fire Warriors and kill the Wave Serpent and Rangers with Riptide and Hammerhead.
Big Guns Never Tire???
"Longstrike, wake up"

Blueshock
Shas'Vre

Post#9 » Aug 24 2014 10:08

Switch your Ioncannon Hammerhead into a Railgun Hammerhead with submunitions and you will easily win every game against that list. Str6/AP4 automatically wounds without saves and instant deaths any T3 models with 4+ or worse saves.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

Return to “Engaging the Alien”