Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Re: Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Post#51 » Jan 28 2016 04:45

Darkstrider in a gunrig can one-shot the Spyder. It has T6 which he reduces to T5, and then the S10 AP1 railgun bypasses its armor, reduces its RP to 5+, and removes all 3 wounds if not stopped. Since it's twinlinked and he's BS5, you have a 54% chance of success per shooting phase. Bringing the gunfort (3x gunrigs fired together) bumps you up to 90% chance.

So then it becomes a question of dealing with the actual wraiths. There is no reason to bother with AP against them, since they have both 3+ armor and 3+ invul. Therefore, using plasma on crisis is strictly worse than missiles or ion. One unbuffed S7 attack deals (1/2 to hit) * (5/6 to wound) * (2/6 to bypass invul) = 0.139 wounds in expectation. A CIB suit has 6 shots for 0.83 wounds, and a missile suit has 4 shots for 0.56 wounds. With proper markerlight support we can buff that to 5/6 to hit, giving 0.231 wounds per shot (2xCIB 1.39 wounds, 2xMissile 0.93 wounds).

A double-weapon suit costs roughly the same as 6 strike team fire warriors. Without MLs, they deal 0.083 wounds per shot. At long range that's 0.5 wounds for the team (hence 1 wound at close range). That's slightly less wounds than the missile crisis suit, for slightly more points, as slightly less range.

We can buff both units. We can twinlink the crisis shots through a buff'vre for less points than the CIB suit costs. At BS3, this improves the number of wounds per S7 shot to (1/2 + 1/2*1/2)*(5/6)*(2/6)=0.208, and 0.27 wounds at BS5. Ethereal+Fireblade costs a fair deal but allows your fire warriors to shoot 4 times, so the team of six strikers can put out 2 wounds using rapid fire. You're likely bringing more than one unit of them and the Fireblade buffs only one, so consider dropping the Fireblade for more fire warriors.

One idea I have been toying with lately is a taking a Hunter Cadre, choosing Breachers and putting them in a Devilfish together with Ethereal and Fireblade. The Ethereal can be allied in through a CAD or the Command slot of the Hunter Contingent. The Fireblade is there to allow them to run before shooting. It gives your S6 shots a threat range of 17+D6": Devilfish moves 6", Breachers pop out and move 6", fireblade allows them to run D6" and then they use their 5" shooting profile. This gets pricey. But putting all of this gives you 30 shots at S6 on the turn you exit the Devilfish. These shots deal in expectation 3.33 wounds without markerlights, 5.55 with. When they inevitably charge you next turn, you deal another 1.11 wounds. As noted, the price for this is steep (especially since Hunter Cadre is expensive in itself) but has the potential to wipe out a wraith unit in one turn.

Jewelfox
Por

Post#52 » May 07 2016 09:08

Unicornsilovethem wrote:One idea I have been toying with lately is a taking a Hunter Cadre, choosing Breachers and putting them in a Devilfish together with Ethereal and Fireblade. The Ethereal can be allied in through a CAD or the Command slot of the Hunter Contingent. The Fireblade is there to allow them to run before shooting. It gives your S6 shots a threat range of 17+D6": Devilfish moves 6", Breachers pop out and move 6", fireblade allows them to run D6" and then they use their 5" shooting profile. This gets pricey. But putting all of this gives you 30 shots at S6 on the turn you exit the Devilfish. These shots deal in expectation 3.33 wounds without markerlights, 5.55 with. When they inevitably charge you next turn, you deal another 1.11 wounds. As noted, the price for this is steep (especially since Hunter Cadre is expensive in itself) but has the potential to wipe out a wraith unit in one turn.

The downside, of course, is that wraiths have a threat range of 12+2D6", so you don't have much margin for error. The other downside is that each wraith only costs about as much as a minimum breacher squad or ethereal on its own, so altogether you're committing more points to these things than they cost, and on top of that this strategy requires good dice rolls (and gives your opponent a good chance at a victory point).

In my last game I played against Necrons, I had an Iontide use its heavy blast against the Immortals, before tying up literally an entire Canoptek Harvest because my opponent kept throwing models at it. When the scarabs didn't do the job, it sent in the wraiths, and its spyder just sat there regrowing the scarabs and not doing anything else. It took my partner awhile to realize that was exactly what I wanted it to do.

I think turning some high-value Necron infantry into a crater, before charging a minimum unit of wraiths and keeping them locked up for the whole game, is at least not a terrible use of a single battlesuit. ^^; Especially considering how much damage those wraiths can inflict if left unchecked. At best, you can use psychological warfare elements as well; your opponent may throw additional forces at the Riptide, not realizing just how durable they are (like mine did), or you might even be able to kite them.

nic
Kroot'La

Post#53 » May 07 2016 10:06

Unicornsilovethem wrote:
One idea I have been toying with lately is a taking a Hunter Cadre, choosing Breachers and putting them in a Devilfish together with Ethereal and Fireblade. The Ethereal can be allied in through a CAD or the Command slot of the Hunter Contingent. The Fireblade is there to allow them to run before shooting. It gives your S6 shots a threat range of 17+D6": Devilfish moves 6", Breachers pop out and move 6", fireblade allows them to run D6" and then they use their 5" shooting profile. This gets pricey. But putting all of this gives you 30 shots at S6 on the turn you exit the Devilfish. These shots deal in expectation 3.33 wounds without markerlights, 5.55 with. When they inevitably charge you next turn, you deal another 1.11 wounds. As noted, the price for this is steep (especially since Hunter Cadre is expensive in itself) but has the potential to wipe out a wraith unit in one turn.

Why not just put your Hunter Cadre in a Dawn Blade contingent and use plain old S5 AP5 massed pulse fire? With re-rolls to wound you will get work done. Cheapest high-mobility delivery system for this are probably Piranha, especially if you have a Drone Net VX1-0 backing them up and longer range shots from your troops will still get the re-rolls to wound. Supporting fire from 12" away if he goes after your annoying skimmers should finish the job.

In a hunter cadre those Piranha have a threat range that is incredible due to Ambushes & Feints. As always they make great blocking models and can really inhibit the movement of even Wraiths by their physical size on the table.

Jewelfox
Por

Post#54 » May 07 2016 04:27

nic wrote:Why not just put your Hunter Cadre in a Dawn Blade contingent and use plain old S5 AP5 massed pulse fire? With re-rolls to wound you will get work done. Cheapest high-mobility delivery system for this are probably Piranha, especially if you have a Drone Net VX1-0 backing them up and longer range shots from your troops will still get the re-rolls to wound. Supporting fire from 12" away if he goes after your annoying skimmers should finish the job.

In a hunter cadre those Piranha have a threat range that is incredible due to Ambushes & Feints. As always they make great blocking models and can really inhibit the movement of even Wraiths by their physical size on the table.

You'll want to keep in mind, of course, the FAQ nerf to the Piranha formation. >_>b This sounds like an interesting plan though!

jkin6198
Shas

Post#55 » May 09 2016 04:14

I've had very good luck taking out wraith-spam with ripple-fire SMS on a riptide wing (4 riptides, 2 HBC, 2 ION). The list I play against usually runs a destroyer cult and two conoptek harvests, and by turn 2 has a couple wraiths left and his destroyers. Destroyers of course aren't that scary since theyre ap3 and most of our heavy hitters are 2+ save or 2+ cover save. Throw in a retaliation cadre and drop behind his wraiths and you've pincered him in a tough position.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”