Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Glassjaw
Shas

Re: Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Post#11 » Aug 26 2014 08:59

If in doubt, mass pulse fire. We can bring a lot of S5 firepower at a base cost and it's a cheap way to drown a good 3++ in dice. You could use gun drones to kite around his wraiths, using their thrust moves to play a game of keep away continuously whittling them down, or crisis suits with dual burst cannons, or long range Firewarriors to just hammer them at range.

I also agree with the above statements, missile pods. Again we can field these in large numbers quite easily, and the only way to beat a 3++ is to just force them to roll on it a lot.

Another option is to try an tarpit them, or present him with a lure and keep them distracted while you take on the rest of his army.
dakka dakka dakka

DrMedicine
Shas

Post#12 » Aug 26 2014 10:36

If massive amounts of firepower does not bring them down and your firewarriors are in trouble of being assaulted, you can always try a Iridium suit, Onager Gauntlet and Failsafe detonator suicide squad of crisis suits or put all that on a commander. Well maybe except the Onager gauntlet, you should probably put that on a shas'vre so your commander gets all his attacks. Or have your riptide charge in with his Hammer of wrath and make sure it has FnP so it can survive a little bit.

tekkblade
Shas

Post#13 » Aug 26 2014 11:06

Spacecowboy, let us know how things go. A friend plays necrons and he has wraiths, but only three models and we've only played 1500+ point games so I've had plenty of firepower to bring to bear. I know I'd like to find out what works well in a smaller point game.

jade_angel
Shas

Post#14 » Aug 26 2014 03:35

My advice is similar to what others here have offered, but from two directions: first, lots of S8. It instant-kills them, so spam as much as you can. Helios Crisis teams are a good start, but don't forget about a Riptide with ion accelerator (and fusion, for good measure), Hammerhead with ion cannon, cyclic ion blaster, Razorshark with ion turret and Pathfinders with ion rifles. Combine that with pulse/burst cannon spam, augmented by a Cadre Fireblade, Ethereal or both. Basically, force as many saves as you can, and of those, try to make as many as possible cause instant death to maximize the effect of any that do fail.

AP doesn't matter, so just focus on as much volume of fire as you can muster, and make as much as possible S8 or greater. Boost it with markerlights, don't bother stripping cover unless it's 2+.

Remember that he can only assault one unit per turn, and Wraiths have stinky Initiative. Vectored retro-thrusters can give your Crisis or Stealth suits a fighting chance of escaping. Bring drones so you're testing to escape on I4, and gun drones also provide that all-important dakka. (And pinning, in case it ever matters.) You can blind them with photon grenades; I haven't tried this but it could soften the blow a little if they do get into assault.

jade_angel
Shas

Post#15 » Aug 26 2014 04:54

Just did a bit of mathhammer on this, and a squad of Crisis suits with dual fusion blasters (I said Helios in the post above; I meant Sunforge. Oops!) plus Shadowsun with Command-Link Drone and two marker hits should, on average, drop two Wraiths per turn. Combined with a squad of Fire Warriors in double-tap range with a Cadre Fireblade, you can probably polish off the entire squad. Probably.

If you have S8 blasts, fire them first to maximize the probability of multiple hits, then use fusion blasters to finish off the survivors.

TheCoolShark900
Shas

Post#16 » Aug 27 2014 04:26

My own advice from experience against three Wraiths is to give them two Ion rifle pie plates and 2 Seeker Missiles (I used a Skyray) or a Burst Cannon and 2 Seekers, It may of been down to my luckiest dice rolling ever but the Burst Cannon took out a Wraith and the Seeker Missiles Instant Killed the other two. My other game (Same Guy) was the same but the Ion Rifles took out two Wraiths and the Seekers 1 Wraith

Hope this helps :P
Big Guns Never Tire???
"Longstrike, wake up"

SpaceCowboy
Shas

Post#17 » Aug 27 2014 05:12

Alright thanks guys!

Next match is tomorrow Thursday, I'll let you know how it goes.

Due to model constraints I'm going with Missile Pods, Fusion Blasters and a whole lot of pulse rifles :fear:

tekkblade
Shas

Post#18 » Aug 27 2014 06:41

Sounds like a solid plan. Good Luck

Myrdin
Shas

Post#19 » Aug 28 2014 06:02

Just thought of something, maybe it´ll work.

Wraiths are T4, soo it requires at least S8 to instagib them. Interesting (although expensive) option might be to take Darkstrider, to enhance the effectivnes of yoru troops. Either in a full unit of Pathfinders with max. amount of special weapons (Thus the Rail Rifles and Ion rifles from the pathfinders would cause instant death due to reducing Wraiths T, with Darkstrider.)
Or
Plop him and a Cadre Fireblade in one full man squad of Fire warriors. Though not instant killing it would quite interesting to see the reult.
Then again, its expensive since he costs something around 100 or 110 points just by himself. Might be fun to try in a larger game though.

SpaceCowboy
Shas

Post#20 » Aug 29 2014 01:57

Well that went less than swimmingly!

I let loose on 6 Canoptek Wraiths with 3 broadsides, 1 commander & 2 bodygaurds with TL missile pods and fusion blasters and 24 fire warriors. All supported by markerlights from a pathfinder unit. Even got 2 rounds of overwatch in by sacrificing unit of fire warriors. In 3 turns I managed to kill 4 of them. 3+ invulnerable save is such a *$/=M%@. (if I missed a rule that bypasses these, please do tell!) At this point they managed to get in melee.

The first lesson for me was that against crisis suits these guys arent that formidable in melee. 2 crisis bodygaurds managed to fight 2 wraiths to a draw. Second lesson was that pouring all that firepower into the wraiths allowed the rest of his army to advance unharmed. My mate also had a Nightscythe with a deathray which, due to my underestimation, managed to knock off my commander.

So next time I'll be paying these guys a little less attention. Maybe round up Farsight and unleash Tau Melee!
Also, I need to buy less food and stuff and buy more Riptide. Priorities.

Thanks for the input guys!

Return to “Engaging the Alien”