Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
por'el vior'la Kais

Re: Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Post#31 » Sep 05 2014 12:14

I have never really struggled with wraiths. To any weapon with an AP worse then 3 they go down just as easy as two marines, (easier if you have strength 8). My mate always uses them but they have never really made it in to combat. They do however soak up a lot of fire, but then again they also soak up a lot of points. However, sometimes he puts a destroyer lord upfront with a 2+ armour save, so now al my fire is even more ineffective. No problem you say? Shoot the ap 2? Too bad he will just look out sir onto the 3+ invurneable dudes behind him! There is literally no efficient way to get rid of this unit. All I can do now is fire even more strength 5 at it, killing a 3 wounds Sv 2+ model and then killing an entire squad (hope he doesn't come back). For once in my life I actually wished I had more str. 5 in my army.

SpaceCowboy
Shas
Posts: 14

Re: Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Post#32 » Sep 05 2014 03:10

Mauler wrote:
The walker is most likely a Triarch Stalker - fairly substantial ground-based spider-lookin' thing? The only other thing that comes close is a Tomb/Canoptek Spyder which is smaller, doesn't touch the ground and can produce scarab swarms.



Yes I think that's the thingamajig. It was actually pretty weak as it only had 2 heavy gauss cannons which were assault1 or something.

I'll be writing up a wee bit of a battle report next match, just to check if we are doing things right. We are probably not doing things right. But it's a blast :crafty:

por'el vior'la Kais wrote:. They do however soak up a lot of fire, but then again they also soak up a lot of points.


Kais, I think that the wraiths are actually pretty cheap for what they do. For 270points you get a 3++ shield which always strikes first. Especially the firepower they soak up, as you say, is just bonkers.

User avatar
Bitterman
Shas
Posts: 909

Re: Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Post#33 » Sep 05 2014 03:16

SpaceCowboy wrote:
Mauler wrote:Triarch Stalker


Yes I think that's the thingamajig. It was actually pretty weak as it only had 2 heavy gauss cannons which were assault1 or something.


I'm not sure, but I seem to remember there being more to it than that. I think that it has some crazy targeting rule whereby, if it hits its target when it shoots, all further shooting that turn at the same target counts as twinlinked, not entirely unlike Markerlights except arguably better. Something like that, anyway... I certainly remember there was some reason why I decided they were high priority for death, when I played against them.

SpaceCowboy
Shas
Posts: 14

Re: Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Post#34 » Sep 05 2014 03:20

Yes! I was thinking there was something more to it. During the game I was able to lure the thing away from the rest of his army so it didn't really come into question.

User avatar
CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1122

Re: Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Post#35 » Sep 05 2014 04:42

Triarch Stalkers have the Heat Ray, which is a formidable Melta weapon, and twin-link any subsequent firing at the same target. They're nasty, but fairly fragile.

My main problem with the 3++ is that it reduces the game to one of pure dice. How well do my dice do versus your's? If you never roll less than a three, you've won. If you roll a lot of 2s, I've won.

Target priority doesn't matter as you throw everything and anything at them. Delegating the proper AP weapons to them doesn't matter. It's simply a matter of spamming dice and hoping they fail.

I've had a lot of trouble with my Guard against Thunderwolves because of this. High-Strength weaponry is designed to have a low volume but great AP to back it up, which a 3++ renders irrelevant. Anything light enough to spam struggles to get the volume of Wounds needed. (I once fired 72 Lasgun shots at Thunderwolves and scored a pitiful but statistical 6 Wounds with were all saved. Two Demolishers killed two Wolves.)

Thunderwolves are worse due to getting S10 AP2 with five Attacks on the charge, as well as being T5. They automatically Penetrate most vehicle's Rear Armour, and at least Glance tougher ones like Necron vehicles and Russ Siege Tanks. Said swarm of 30 Guardsmen that put out those shots were killed to a man from the Hammer of Wrath and number of attacks. It's ludicrous that a unit be so point-and-click.

User avatar
Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Posts: 1117

Re: Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Post#36 » Sep 05 2014 08:45

It's because their shields are big enough to protect their mounts.

User avatar
TheCoolShark900
Shas
Posts: 18

Re: Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Post#37 » Oct 10 2014 11:12

IMHO pathfinders may actually do it. A unit with 3 Ion Rifles can overcharge (hopefully not getting hot) and Insta-Kill them. Against a unit of three if the blasts do not scatter the you'll get 9 wounds which will wound on a 2+ forcing roughly 7 3+ saves. This should kill 2 or 3 of the Wraiths. Then, they can wander off and markerlight the rest of the enemy army (on another turn). As well as this the rest of the unit could still markerlight the wraiths for another unit to kill off the last one.
Big Guns Never Tire???
"Longstrike, wake up"

User avatar
Zelnik
Shas
Posts: 41

Re: Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Post#38 » Feb 03 2015 04:14

Fusion blasters do not kill wraiths instantly. They have t5 now.

Best advantage against them are the following:

1: double missile suits, shasvre with cyclic ion and a missile Gives you between 10 and 13 s7 shots or a handy blast template.

2: r'varna. Since they are now very bulky, every hit counts as s 7 ap4 2 hits.

3. Submunition hammerhead. It may be only a 3 to wound but with longstrike you have bs5.

4. missilesides. Drown them in wounds.

User avatar
Bitterman
Shas
Posts: 909

Re: Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Post#39 » Feb 03 2015 04:30

Zelnik wrote:Fusion blasters do not kill wraiths instantly. They have t5 now.


Of course they have. :roll: Being good enough to take on entire armies on their own obviously wasn't enough. They clearly needed to be even harder to kill!

akkristor
Shas
Posts: 69

Re: Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Post#40 » Feb 03 2015 04:48

Bitterman wrote:
Zelnik wrote:Fusion blasters do not kill wraiths instantly. They have t5 now.


Of course they have. :roll: Being good enough to take on entire armies on their own obviously wasn't enough. They clearly needed to be even harder to kill!


Darkstrider and Ion-Rifle equipped Pathfinders can still insta-death them. Drop their T5 to T4, and Strength 8 from the Ion Rifles will OHKO. Plus it's a blast, so a chance to kill more than one per shot.
My goal is not to win, but to not lose the battle.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests