Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Re: Necron Canoptek Wraiths, oh heavens

Post#41 » Feb 03 2015 05:06

Zelnik wrote:Fusion blasters do not kill wraiths instantly. They have t5 now.

Best advantage against them are the following:

1: double missile suits, shasvre with cyclic ion and a missile Gives you between 10 and 13 s7 shots or a handy blast template.

2: r'varna. Since they are now very bulky, every hit counts as s 7 ap4 2 hits.

3. Submunition hammerhead. It may be only a 3 to wound but with longstrike you have bs5.

4. missilesides. Drown them in wounds.

See my posts there: http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?p=289843#p289843
Double missile suits are not listed, because they can provide an average of 1.00 wounds for more than 140points per wounds (with the Canoptek formation and the 4+ reanimation).
R'varna is too costy to be tied in CC by these beasts
Submunitions have too few shots.
The only way to reliably take them is massed fire (Missilesides or our cheap S5 shots)

akkristor wrote:Darkstrider and Ion-Rifle equipped Pathfinders can still insta-death them. Drop their T5 to T4, and Strength 8 from the Ion Rifles will OHKO. Plus it's a blast, so a chance to kill more than one per shot.

Darktrider is a nice addition (like against Nurgle marines) to help with S5 shots. The cost of ion rifle is too high with the randomness of blast to be effective IMHO. But Darkstrider in a large unit of FW with an Etheral nearby (or maybe a fireblade) can become dangerous to soften the wraiths.

tekkblade
Shas

Post#42 » Mar 03 2015 02:23

akkristor wrote:Darkstrider and Ion-Rifle equipped Pathfinders can still insta-death them. Drop their T5 to T4, and Strength 8 from the Ion Rifles will OHKO. Plus it's a blast, so a chance to kill more than one per shot.

Unfortunately double toughness doesn't ID necrons anymore, it just lowers the results of the RAP roll by 1 now.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre

Post#43 » Mar 03 2015 03:15

tekkblade wrote:

Unfortunately double toughness doesn't ID necrons anymore, it just lowers the results of the RAP roll by 1 now.
True, their reanimation protocols are reduced by 1, but they are still vulnerable to instant death. They do not have Eternal Warrior. If they fail an invulnerable, and then fail the RP roll, they will instantly die.

tekkblade
Shas

Post#44 » Mar 03 2015 04:05

You're right. I forgot they had multiple wounds. If they make the RAP roll they come back with only one wound right?

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre

Post#45 » Mar 03 2015 04:20

As I understand it (Somebody correct me if I am wrong) a successful RP roll will negate the wound in its entirety. So it would either take No wounds, or it would die instantly, depending on the roll.

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Post#46 » Mar 03 2015 04:43

tekkblade wrote:If they make the RAP roll they come back with only one wound right?

If they make their roll, the wound is negated. RAP is basically FNP in every respect. So if a Wraith had 2 wounds, and made both it's RAPs then it would still have 2 wounds. The fun thing is that Necrons can modify the roll needed, but never better then 4+. ID weapons just give it a -1 modifier.

Czar Ziggy

Dubey
Shas

Post#47 » Mar 04 2015 10:55

If they're really getting you down and you don't feel that massed firepower is working, you could always invest in an assassin. They can ignore armour and invulnerable saves.

akkristor
Shas

Post#48 » Mar 04 2015 11:01

Czar Ziggy wrote:
tekkblade wrote:If they make the RAP roll they come back with only one wound right?

If they make their roll, the wound is negated. RAP is basically FNP in every respect. So if a Wraith had 2 wounds, and made both it's RAPs then it would still have 2 wounds. The fun thing is that Necrons can modify the roll needed, but never better then 4+. ID weapons just give it a -1 modifier.

Czar Ziggy

Most necron abilities that boost RAP give their RAP value a modifier, but ID gives the roll a -1 modifier, not their RAP value. RAP can never get better than a 4+, If something with a 4+ RAP gets hit with a weapon that would cause Instant death, they would need to get a 5 or better on the die. The die roll is given a -1 modifier, not their RAP.
My goal is not to win, but to not lose the battle.

SomeTauGuy
Shas'Ui

Post#49 » Jan 23 2016 04:48

I've been researching these forums for ways of beating up Necrons and was very interested in this discussion around killing Wraiths.

I've only looked at the "Gamers Edition" of the Necron Codex (rules only, ePub book) but something worth noting is that wraiths do not have the Reanimation Protocol special ability.

I suspect this means all the math discussed above just doubled in effectiveness (assuming a 4+ RAP roll)?

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Post#50 » Jan 23 2016 05:02

SomeTauGuy wrote:I've been researching these forums for ways of beating up Necrons and was very interested in this discussion around killing Wraiths.

I've only looked at the "Gamers Edition" of the Necron Codex (rules only, ePub book) but something worth noting is that wraiths do not have the Reanimation Protocol special ability.

I suspect this means all the math discussed above just doubled in effectiveness (assuming a 4+ RAP roll)?

But as a quick note, they can gain that rule through the Canoptek Harvest formation. The spyder in the Formation must select Reanimation as it's special rule, and the Wraiths must be within 6" to gain the benefits.

Czar Ziggy

P.S. And if run in the Decurrion Army set-up, that roll will be a 4+ because of the Decurrion special rules.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”