Combating the Invisible Centurian Star

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui

Re: Combating the Invisible Centurian Star

Post#21 » Oct 02 2014 08:20

Snipers no longer have Pinning by default. The weapon must have it in its profile to inflict the ability.

This leaves Pulse Carbines as the only option in our Codex that does so, IIRC.

jade_angel
Shas

Post#22 » Oct 02 2014 08:30

Unless you have huge numbers of gun drones, no. Also, it's not especially uncommon to have a way to give this unit Fearless. It's not an extremely dangerous unit in melee, though - would tarpitting it with Kroot be a workable strategy? With enough Hounds to get a large volume of attacks, you might even get lucky and knock off a wound or two.

I think the best way to overcome the snapshot issue without going outside the codex is a Buffmander/Mark'O combo with as many marker drones as you can muster, but that's awfully specialized. Tetras might be the second-best option, but they'll also be targeted mercilessly. On the other hand, you're snap-shooting anyway; Jink until you're blue in the face.

This may sound dumb, but what about Shadowsun and Darkstrider with a pile of Pathfinders with rail rifles? Their poor saves reduce the utility of the grav-guns, Darkstrider reduces the impact of the T5, while the rail rifles and Shadowsun's fusion blasters punch through the Cents' armor. Also, reduced to T4, one wound getting through from Shadowsun will cook 'em. (ETA: Also, Shadowsun's Stealth field will allow you to shrug off a good number of the wounds that do get through. Throw in the command-link drone for some minor mitigation of accuracy issues even if you can't get any markerlights)

Myrdin
Shas

Post#23 » Oct 02 2014 09:08

Too bad for the sniper rifles. Same with flamers. If you could cover the unit in 6 flamer templates from a deepstriking C. suit unit well.... too bad indeed -_-
Also i would not depend on doing anything to the unit in CC. Especially with Kroot.
They will go before the Kroot, and kill few. Then you hit on 6 wound on 6 (see the numbers already diminishing to nonexistent ? heh) and 2+ save comes if you get lucky to get through all that.

As for the Rail Pathfinder units, that sounds pretty decent honestly. x5 each with 3 rail rifles. You would have to get the marker source to begin with from somewhere else, but once you score a few hits, the two pathfinders in the squad should be able to "resuply" at least one of those for the next unit, while you also shoot with the ap1 weaponry.

2x3 or even 3x3 HRR Broadsides sounds good as well. TL AP1 guns. The TL goes a long way.
Tetras offer 2 TL marker shots, so two teams of 2 would be nice as well.

My question though is - how much points is that deathstar and what else remains on the table. As is usual with things like this (the Warlock council on jetbikes with DE Count in front and such) these units are made to soak up all your fire and protect the rest of the army.
It might be good to focus and mow down all that he has to offer and once only the Centaurstar remains, just keep running around, hug cover and block LoS as much as possible. Even if he could teleport, he can cover only one place at a time, and kill only one unit in a turn. So the table should be more or less yours to ensure multiple objectives, and maybe linebreaker.
Then again - i never faced this particular unit so all my suggestions are theory heavy yet have to be tested on the actual battlefield.

Anyway as far as could say, you would have to tailor your list appropriately - something of which i never found "cheese" or unfair. The game pushes you to your limits, and it is a trait of a good general toknow his enemy and prepare accordingly with what he has at his disposal.

jade_angel
Shas

Post#24 » Oct 02 2014 10:06

The idea with the Kroot wasn't to actually kill them in melee - especially with the Cents having ATSKNF and a 2+ save, it's a lost cause. (And FNP, if they're Iron Hands!) The idea was more to tie them up and allow the rest of your forces to worry about something else. The Kroot will die, and will probably need an Ethereal to keep them in combat, though. Maybe even Aun'Va, to put up both Stubborn and FNP to maximize the tarpit.

As far as point cost - Draigo is major-league expensive and a Lord of War now, but he's not essential to making this work. The version I played against was 3 Cents, Tigurius and a Librarian that started out there but moved over to a unit of Terminators later. The basic version costs about two well-kitted Riptides; that's a lot but in a 1500+ point game, there's still a lot of army left. You could do it without Tigurius, too, with just a basic ML1 Space Marine Libby, if the dice like you.

Watch out, also, for the Eldar version of this that uses Wraithguard with a Spiritseer and/or Farseer, too. Weaker saves, but meaner guns and majority T6.

nic
Kroot'La

Post#25 » Oct 02 2014 10:41

As in the OP Draigo prevents any attempt to tarpit this unit with his Gate of Infinity.

Cover saves are as good a defensive option as pure Tau get. However be aware that the GK list will usually have a librarian as their mandatory HQ and will roll Perfect Timing in about half the games that they want it. A Farsight/Shadowsun bomb is viable against the centurion star but is risky against an opponent who can shunt and deep strike into your face on turn one.

nic
Kroot'La

Post#26 » Oct 02 2014 04:29

boomwolf wrote:
And the obvious solution to invis stars-avoid until the invis fails, than target all guns on it.

While Tigurius has a decent chance of failing to get Invisibility in the first place once he has it I think you would be waiting a long time before it fails. With the generous dice pool of a GK list the Imperial player will be putting plenty of dice onto this mission-critical blessing and in the unlikely event of failure Tigurius grants a re-roll.

I do not think most players run this as a true death star. The opportunity to run as many Dreadknights as possible will rarely be missed - the new improved cheaper Dreadknight when fully kitted out is in its own way a match for the Riptide and a significant threat. Basically this is an aggressive shunt list that does a lot of damage on the first couple of turns, it does not wait around and it does not really give many opponents that opportunity either.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”