Culexus assassin tactica

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Culexus assassin tactica

Post#1 » Oct 01 2014 05:42

Overview

Since the publication of the Officio Assassinorum ebook there has been particular interest in one available unit - the Culexus assassin. Either as an opponent or as an ally Tau players should expect to see more Culexus assassins on the table than under the old Grey Knights codex version and as it is such an unusual unit I think it is worth it having a mini-tactica in its own right.

The key attraction of the Culexus assassin to a commander is their extensive set of special rules against psykers of all kinds. The Culexus is the single strongest counter in the game to army lists which depend on psyker powers and is extremely powerful against any army containing psykers. Against non-psyker armies the Culexus assassin will be less powerful but still carries some threat.

Adding a Culexus to a force

Each of the assassins may be taken as a single model detachment from the Officio Assassinorum and allies as a part of the Imperial Forces. A Culexus assassin is a handful of points less than a Razorshark fighter.

Special rules for assassins mean that they must operate alone - further special rules for the Culexus mean that it cannot benefit from psyker support. A Culexus in a battle brothers alliance may benefit from using transports but is generally little affected by the alliance level with the rest of the army.

A Culexus is a desperate ally for Tau, as this unit is designed and intended to operate alone this will rarely be a significant problem for a Tau force with such an ally.

Basic profile and general combat abilities

All assassins have strength and toughness similar to space marines with a 4+ invulnerable save. They have WS and BS of 8 and an initiative of 7. The Culexus has a unique defense in addition to its invulnerable save so that all attacks against it are reduced to WS or BS 1 - these are not snap shots so the assassin remains vulnerable to template and blast weapons. The Culexus has a leadership of 10 and is fearless.

The Culexus has 4 basic attacks which ignore armour and inflict instant death on a damage roll of 6. With high initiative and skill the Culexus is a dangerous opponent in close combat for most infantry but highly unpredictable against monstrous creatures such as Riptides who will be either unharmed or killed instantly. Invulnerable saves are the only form of defense against a Culexus' close combat attacks.

Although the Culexus lacks any conventional shooting weapon it has a shooting attack in the psychic phase with a variable number of shots with a range and power equal to a pulse carbine and an AP of 1. It may take as many shots as there are psyker levels within 12" plus up to 3 additional shots from the psychic dice pool. As a Tau force has no other use for the dice in its pool a Culexus would normally have as many as are rolled on a single die up to the limit of 3 when facing non-psyker opposition.

Tau commanders should be wary of the relative positioning when an opponent has both psykers and a Culexus. An opponent with both can choose to use their own psykers to power the shooting attack by positioning them within 12" of each other. With its high BS and low AP this can be an efficient way to turn warp dice into damage. As written the rules allow multiple Culexus to benefit from each psyker so where detachment limits are not applied very high outputs of high quality shooting are possible.

All attacks from an assassin have a -2 penalty to any look out sir rolls and the assassin can earn an additional VP should it kill an enemy warlord.

The Culexus assassin moves as a normal infantry model and may infiltrate and move through cover. An advantage of its shooting attack being in the psychic phase is that it may freely run in the shooting phase. Using this the assassin can perform a shorter range version of the JSJ familiar to Tau players and being a single small model is very good at using cover to avoid retribution from enemies that survive its shooting attack.

In a battle with no psykers on the table the Culexus assassin is useful but not especially powerful. It has respectable shooting and close combat ability but is vulnerable to massed fire which will kill it by sheer number of shots or to multiple blast/template weapon attacks. A single IA blast or similar can instant-kill a Culexus which fails its invulnerable save.

Use against psykers

The rule which has attracted so much attention to the Culexus is one which gives it a 12" radius anti-psyker null zone. Within this zone no blessing or malediction works and when a Culexus moves within range all such powers cease immediately. Additionally all warp dice generated within the zone go to the Culexus to feed its shooting attack and any attempt to harness warp power in the zone succeeds only on a roll of 6. Finally all psykers in this zone take -3 to their leadership.

The damage output of the Culexus is also considerably greater against psyker enemies. The number of shots for their shooting is increased by their presence as explained above, their BS against any unit with a psyker in increases to 10 although this rarely makes much difference. Additionally all close combat wounds inflicted against psykers inflict instant death. When targetting a unit containing a psyker the Culexus can use its one true shooting attack, the psyk-out grenade which will force the psyker to roll for perils - combined with the -3 to leadership this can be dangerous for the psyker. The range of the grenade is of course limited but with BS10 it generally hits the target and can be a useful way to soften up a target before assault. The Culexus itself is immune to psyker powers of all kinds.

The key value of the Culexus is its null zone which shuts down psychic death-star type units completely. With all blessings gone they are generally vulnerable to attack and can only escape the zone by conventional movement. Offensive powers are near useless when generated within the null zone, even if warp dice are available from beyond the null zone. This effect is the main reason why Culexus assassins will be seen on the table and it has the same value for a Tau commander as for any other. There is no comparable counter in the game to psyker death-star units which can and have dominated games, any army needing a counter to these powerful lists should seriously consider the option of a Culexus assassin.

As Culexus assassins become more commonplace the prevalence of psyker dependent armies will presumably drop until some new balance of between them is found, as between predator and prey.

Use with psykers

Until very recently the Culexus assassin was part of the Grey Knight codex and many Grey Knight players will have one in their collection. Although any psyker army must fear this assassin it is also powerful in their hands if they use it carefully.

A psyker army can use the warp charge from units out of effective range of their powers to charge up the shooting attack of the Culexus to considerable effect. When facing a psyker army such as the Grey Knights which contains a Culexus a Tau player should be aware of the considerable high quality shooting power that can be generated. A Culexus backed up by two combat squadded units of Purifiers can make 11 shooting attacks in a turn, a considerable threat to most units. The psykers providing the warp charge will suffer disadvantages as noted above but some, especially fearless units such as Purifiers, will take little practical penalty from this.

Defending against a Culexus

A Tau army is one of the forces least affected by a Culexus and should have no particular difficulty dealing with one. Massed fire from pulse weapons (or similar) will usually be sufficient to deal with the threat and units with good cover saves - such as Stealth suits - have little to fear from its shooting attack which has no way to ignore cover saves. The shooting attacks of a Culexus are only really dangerous to Tau units when backed up by warp charge from a psyker heavy army, in this case the Tau player must use cover as best as possible and decide between eliminating the assassin or the psyker units powering its attacks. Twin linked low-BS shooting such as that from gun drones is a cost effective way to deal with the BS lowering defense that the Culexus partly relies upon. A Culexus is extremely dangerous to Tau infantry in close combat, which is something of a non-issue as almost everything is dangerous to Tau infantry in close combat.

Modelling considerations

The blanks who are trained to become Culexus are described as repulsive to normal sentients - it has to be said that many players find the figure for the Culexus to be too realistically repulsive for their taste. Some suggestions for alternative modelling ideas to incorporate a Culexus in a Tau army are:

Taking a dark eldar medusae as your base it is quite easy to convert it to something akin to a mind flayer, representing an alien race unit who literally feeds on psychic power, yet does not get along well with others making them and their tau allies distrust each other.

Or you can have post-firewarrior Kais, given that he is mentally broken beyond believe after being practically possessed by Khorne-he makes sense both as an anti-psyker beacon, someone with abnormal stats, and someone that nobody trusts or gets along with

Happy to receive any comments or suggestions to improve this.
Last edited by nic on Dec 12 2014 04:16, edited 3 times in total.

timb6ea
Shas

Re: Culexus assassin tactica

Post#2 » Oct 01 2014 09:59

Thanks for the write up Nic. Well presented and informative.
Will Flak'O for food.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Oct 02 2014 03:54

I'd like to point out that when facing the culexux, as with any "invis" unit-twin linked guns are superior to higher BS non twin linked.
So your gun drone is better than your fire warrior.

And for thoes who wishes to use one, here is something I came up with for my (might be made) custom culexus.
Taking a dark eldar medusae as your base it is quite easy to convert it to something akin to a mind flayer, representing an alien race unit who literally feeds on psychic power, yet does not get along well with others making them and their tau allies distrust each other (justifying the "come the apoclypse" relations)

Or you can have post-firewarrior Kais, given that he is mentally broken beyond believe after being practically possessed by Khorne-he makes sense both as an anti-psyker beacon, someone with abnormal stats, and someone that nobody trusts or gets along with

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#4 » Oct 02 2014 04:29

boomwolf wrote:I'd like to point out that when facing the culexux, as with any "invis" unit-twin linked guns are superior to higher BS non twin linked.
So your gun drone is better than your fire warrior.

A good point and edit made.

I will think about how to include modelling options.

Myrdin
Shas

Post#5 » Oct 02 2014 05:55

Very nice breakdown. As i have not yet faced one of these, its good to be informed of such a threat (though as we lack any psykers, the threat is rather negligible i would say).

The only problem i see is the miniatures itself. Its extremely bad. Looks like something from their 90ties production. Just the very glimpse of it makes me disgusted. No idea who designed this thing, but even now i can see at least 3 different variants all of which would make that piece of junk better.... alas.... it is what it is.

On the other hand, the proposition of DE Medusa IS very tempting, i like that miniature a lot and do believe it fits the idea of an assassin rather nicely. If needed you can always mod the mini with additional bitz and accessories.

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#6 » Oct 02 2014 04:03

boomwolf wrote:

The idea of having Kais with a modified rail rifle and a katana - on a pile of skulls of course - does sound like a project that would be fun. Hmmm

parigi41
Shas

Post#7 » Dec 12 2014 10:01

Yesterday I used the Culexus for the 1st time and he was amazing. GK lost 4 warp charges since turn 1 and he was able to survive until the last turn, blasted in cc by a dreadnought.
His shots cleaned the table from one paladin squad. I reccomend it to every shas'o.

reconjsh
Shas

Post#8 » Dec 12 2014 10:21

parigi41 wrote:Yesterday I used the Culexus for the 1st time and he was amazing. GK lost 4 warp charges since turn 1 and he was able to survive until the last turn, blasted in cc by a dreadnought.
His shots cleaned the table from one paladin squad. I reccomend it to every shas'o.

If your opponent is running Grey Knights, this thing is devastating and is almost an auto-include. I've done it a couple of times. Against, other opponents, I feel that it can still be a solid addition, but it's hit-or-miss because you don't know your opponents dependence on Psykers (unless you know their list in advance). Though, the WS1/BS1 against this guy makes him pretty nice regardless.

Recon.
My Cadre Log - [need better pictures]

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#9 » Dec 12 2014 04:20

parigi41 wrote:Yesterday I used the Culexus for the 1st time and he was amazing. GK lost 4 warp charges since turn 1 and he was able to survive until the last turn, blasted in cc by a dreadnought.

Sounds like you had fun with your soulless assassin :evil:

That did remind me to update the article with the use of the grenade, a little situational but it can be quite nasty in its own right.

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Dec 12 2014 04:58

nic wrote:That did remind me to update the article with the use of the grenade, a little situational but it can be quite nasty in its own right.
Seems to me that it would be ideal for targeting low level psykers buried in infantry units. The catch is that you have to assault what you throw it at, and those infantry units can bog you down if they have decent leadership outside of the psyker.

Darn you all. Now I am filled with inspiration for another conversion and I just don't have the TIME!!!! :::(

Lotus
Shas

Post#11 » Dec 13 2014 08:12

As far as modelling considerations go, I am currently making an assassin army themed up as a spyrer gang fully upgraded and brought into the fold of the tau empire. There are some slightly odd fits but the malcadon is going to be eversor, the yeld a vindicare, the jakarra as the callidus and finally the orrus as the culexus. The culexus seems like the oddest but I'm looking at it like he has great defenses (bs/ws1), powerful fists (instant death) and a variable number of shots.

Unusualsuspect
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#12 » Dec 13 2014 02:29

This thread has definitely inspired me to add a Culexus (and maybe a few other assassins as well) to my army, and I'd much prefer a converted model myself.

However, that statline makes it almost impossible for me to consider using an actual Tau as the base - I don't care how good Tau battlesuit technology is, it isn't granting a Tau a WS and I nearly double that of a Space Marine, especially given that Farsight (a commander who has lived significantly longer than any other Tau and who wields a melee weapon adroitly into combat) is below the Assassin-level WS (For now... I plan on representing my Horus proxy from Forgeworld's Horus Heresy as an older Farsight finally fully attuned to a few artifacts... Yes, yes, warptau).

...Well, I might make an exception for Tau in larger battlesuits. Or, say, the "impossible" results of an captured but eventually freed Earth Caste engineer "eksparamint'd on" by a Mad Doc... Yeah, my conversion ideas tend to be a bit weird and silly :crafty:

The only exception I can imagine would be a chaos-infused Tau. Kais was mentioned, and that might work, especially given the relatively unique level of chaos possession, especially given that possession was Khorne, notoriously anti-psyker...

An additional ally race would be intriguing, or even a perversion of an existing one... Nicassar would be one possibility, though that would be a fairly extreme level of modification for the Tau to go through... wouldn't it? :eek: :evil:

But given the theme of my own conversions, it seems much more likely I'll be converting a Kroot. The source of their anti-psyker elements seems a bit easier to swallow (hehe), given the Tau have at least a few planets of humans, and my personal background has the Tau experimentally "guiding" a small contingent of Kroot "volunteers" through perfectly-controlled dietary restrictions.

My Tau Empire are done being naive, and through observance in battle or the fearful whispers of their more psychically attuned allies, will undoubtedly have learned about the existence of nulls and their effect on psykers. Given enough time, delicate enough instruments/allies to find those nearer the null spectrum, and sufficiently unscrupulous experimental methods, a sufficient breeding population of nulls could probably be established within 50-100 years. Given the unscrupulous nature of the experimentation, this activity would probably be off the books, and known only to high level Ethereals and a few Earth Caste sworn to secrecy (as well as the droids that help them).

How long has it been since Damocles, again? :crafty: ;)

Certainly not enough in that time frame to build an Assassinorum, but likely enough to build a reasonably sized Kroot Null (Knull?) population, from which perhaps 1 or 2 of the best and the brightest might be trained to the impossible levels that the Imperium Assassins represent.

...Dangit, now I'm excited. I have finals to study for, not modelling plans! :sad:

Das'Kyman
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#13 » Jan 03 2015 10:03

I just played a 2000 pt doubles game with the Culexus added to an enclaves list (Riptide and Crisis suits). My partner was an inexperienced Necron player and we played Maelstrom mission 2. Our opponents were Orks and Mechanised AM. It was a close and fun game, but we eked out a win.

Anyways, there was only one weird boy on the board, and I steered clear of that huge blob of boyz. Even so, he killed a veteran squad, finished off another veteran squad, wiped out a squad of 4 ork artillery guns, a Big Mek, and a Wyvern.
I think his success was due to a few factors:
-opponents' inexperience with assassins. They didnt realize just how good his stats were, even against regular guys
-nearby canoptek wraiths. Maybe it wouldnt have mattered, but they took most of the flak due to their reputation
-matchups against units not good in close combat
-luck (against the Wyvern)

He really does ride that line, like stealth suits, between "need to shoot it" and "not worth it". Another fun bonus I hadnt anticipated is that his initiative 7 makes him very good at sweeping advances.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”