3000 pt TE List against Necrons

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Bean_Town_Tau

3000 pt TE List against Necrons

Post#1 » Jan 08 2015 06:20

So the guy I play pretty regularly has been tearing me to pieces with his Necrons. I don't have his exact list, but I'm sure that I could get it from him at some point. Basically, he has something of everything. He has a formation that brings 3 of the croissant lookin fliers in and their damn death rays. The scarabs are obnoxious yet threatening and they have so many wounds! He brought 21 of them! And then theres the reanimation protocol. I just couldn't seem to get a whole squad down at once. Not to mention he's bringing in like 20 of them that don't scatter on deepstrike. Then this Imhotep guy goes around firing lightning at everything once every turn. Its ridiculous. So here is my list:

HQ

Shadowsun (135+159)
Bodyguards
TL Burst, Target Lock, 2xMarker drones
TL Burst, Target Lock, 2xMarker drones

Cadre Fireblade (84)
2xMarker Drones

Troops

12 FW (142)
Shas'ui, 2xMarker Drones

12 FW (142)
Shas'ui, 2xMarker Drones

12 FW (142 + 80)
Shas'ui, 2xMarker Drones
Devil Fish

Elites

Crisis Team (Scarab Hunters) (192)
Flamer, Flamer, DC, 2xGun drones

Crisis Team (Flier Deniers) (258)
TL Fusion, VT, 2xMarker Drones

Riptide (240)
Ion, Fusion, Stim, VT

Fast Attack

10 Pathfinders (135)
1 ion rifle, Pulse accelerator

2 Piranhas (90)
1 fusion

Heavy

HammerHead (176)
Longstrike, blacksun, auto repair

HammerHead (131)
Blacksun, auto repair

Attachment

Firebase Support

Riptide (290)
Ion, Fusion, Stim, VT, 2xShielded Drones

3 Broadside (Railsides) (298)
EWO, seeker, 2x Missile drones
EWO, seeker, 2x Missile drones
EWO, 2x Missile drones

3 Broadsides (Missile Sides) (306)
Target Lock, Seeker, 2xMissile Drones

So I hope I made it pretty obvious what I'm using for what. 1 Crisis for scarab control, 1 crisis for flier control, Shadow Sun for her ability to fire shots in hoards of necron warriors and jump backwards. Riptides designed to destroy fliers and Independent Characters. Hammerheads for Tank fighting, Railsides to snipe incoming units (although would it be smarter to swich the EWO override to the missile sides since He mostly deepstrikes a lump of warriors into my backfield?) Then missilesides for the hoards of crons and their skimmers. Anything I else I could be doing? I have no fliers and no immediate plans to get any unfortunately. Thanks for the advice.

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui

Re: 3000 pt TE List against Necrons

Post#2 » Jan 08 2015 08:55

I've fought Necrons quite a bit so hopefully you will find at least some of this helpful.

If he just has 3 Doom Scythes how is he deep-striking his warriors(I assume warriors with 20 in a squad)? It might be a rule I'm not familiar with, could you give a little more detail on how he's deep striking his units?

For the Scarab Hunter Crisis squad you might want to consider using missile pods they have better range(more shots over time) and insta-kill scarab bases, while a flamer would need 3 wounds to take one down(if I remember correctly), only downside is that missile pods are more expensive, For your anti-air crisis squad, I don't think fusion blasters have good enough range, unless he likes to move his Doom Scythes right on top of your units. Your riptide load-out should be very good verses necrons.

For your hammerhead's Longstrike already has a blacksun filter so you don't need to buy one, and auto repair doesn't pay off that often, it might be worth it to take those off and put the points elsewhere. Put submunintion rounds on your hammerheads AP 4 goes through necron warriors's armor and with the large blast, it can take quite a few down.

What are your Fast Attack units supposed to do? With the Ion Rifle and Pulse Accelerator in the pathfinders it seems like you intend to use them more as a combat squad than markerlight support. Why one Piranha with Fusion and one with a Burst cannon in the same squad?

For the broadsides I would swap the EWO's to the missile sides, and you might want to put Advanced targeting systems on your Railsides, so they can target Independent characters, that will give your riptides even more target options.

If he is bringing 2 or 3 Monolith's put Fusion Blasters on shadowsun's bodyguard's and use that squad to target those, it tends to be much faster at taking one down than a hammerhead. If not two hammerheads should be fine.

Bean_Town_Tau

Re: 3000 pt TE List against Necrons

Post#3 » Jan 08 2015 10:00

I believe he has a special character that gives him that ability, although his name escapes me.

I like your suggestion for missile pods, i might even double them up to fire twice.

The pathfinders arr markerlight mainly, i just find them to be in close proximity to fw in early turns so i might pay off early.

I think i will switch the ewo over to the missilesides. And advanced targeting might not be a bad way to go.

I forgot all about submunition rounds! Of course! Thank you kind sir. I will update you after an actual match.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”