Tau verses Chaos Daemons (Tactics)

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui

Tau verses Chaos Daemons (Tactics)

Post#1 » Mar 23 2015 07:18

This Friday I will be playing a Chaos Daemon army as part of a league that I'm in, the last time that I fought Chaos Daemons(which was 7-9 months ago) I was tabled on turn 4, so some help would be appreciated. My list can be found here.

here is my opponents list;
HQ
Herald Of Khorne (135 Pts)
- Herald Of Khorne (1): Hellblade, Exalted Lotus Of Wrath, Lesser Rewards, Juggernaut of Khorne, ,
Daemon Prince (355 Pts) Daemon Of Tzeentch, Daemonic Flight, Warp-forged Armour, Lesser Rewards(2), Exalted Rewards, Psyker Master Level(3), ,

Troops
Plaguebearers Of Nurgle (95 Pts)
- Plaguebearer (9): Plaguesword, ,
- Plagueridden (1): ,
Bloodletters Of Khorne (120 Pts)
- Bloodletter (10): Hellblade, Icon Of Chaos, Banner Of Blood, ,
Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch (110 Pts)
- Pink Horror (10): Icon Of Chaos, Blasted Standard, ,

Fast Attack
Flesh Hounds Of Khorne (320 Pts)
- Flesh Hounds Of Khorne (20): Collar Of Khorne, ,

Elites
Flamers Of Tzeentch (115 Pts)
- Flamer Of Tzeentch (5): Flames Of Tzeentch, ,

[/]Heavy Support[/I]
Soul Grinder (180 Pts) Harvester Cannon, Iron Claw, Daemon Of Nurgle, Phlegm Bombardment, ,
Soul Grinder (195 Pts) Harvester Cannon, Iron Claw, Daemon Of Slaanesh, Baleful Torrent, Warpsword, ,
Skull Cannon Of Khorne (125 Pts) Skull Cannon

We will be playing a Maelstrom mission(I don't know which one yet), I would appreciate help with identifying the big threats my opponent has and possible some general tactics that my list can use verses daemons. Last time I had a lot of trouble dealing with Flesh Hounds they reached my lines on the first turn with their scout move and I couldn't take them down before they charged, the Princes did something similar and charged into my battlesuits, and my fire warriors and pathfinders wouldn't stay alive against their weapons, but some of them where not in a good spot for cover. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Dal'yth Shas'len'ra on Mar 23 2015 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

Aun Tier
Por'Vre

Re: Tau verses Chaos Daemons (Tactics)

Post#2 » Mar 23 2015 09:35

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra,

Whilst I'm sure that there are many members who would be able to help you out, your post currently doesn't really have much in it. It's more or less an enemy list, and an open question of how to beat it. If you really want posters to be able to help you, you need to give a little bit more.

In particular, you mentioned that you had a bad loss last time. So why did you lose? If you just say that you had poor dice, then there really isn't much more to talk about. On the other hand, if you say that you couldn't work out how to deal with the opponent's Screamerstar, another member might chip in with their own experiences of how to handle them. Of course, if you're just after general advice, the best place I can point you would be Da Skyman's Daemon Tactica, or just generally browsing articles on beating Daemons through the internet. Also, don't forget to use the 'Search function', which is where I found Da Skyman's article when I realised it wasn't in the Academy. It's really handy for seeing what other people have already said on a topic (particularly ones like this).

On a side-note, I couldn't find a Member Profile from you when I Searched. When you get a chance, please fill one out so the community can get to know you a bit better. And, if you haven't already, make sure you've read over the Membership Primers. They're the rules for the forum, and we take them quite seriously.

Otherwise, I hope your Daemon's match goes better than last time! Personally, I've had barely any experience with them, so I won't be of much help unfortunately. Good luck! :D

~ Por'vre Tier.
Truth was flame against a sleeping lake of petrol.

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Mar 23 2015 09:57

Edited Original Post, should be better now.

Aun Tier wrote:
On a side-note, I couldn't find a Member Profile from you when I Searched. When you get a chance, please fill one out so the community can get to know you a bit better. And, if you haven't already, make sure you've read over the Membership Primers. They're the rules for the forum, and we take them quite seriously.

~ Por'vre Tier.

I will make one right away.

Yes I have read them, I had just finished spending a long time typing something else and forgot some of them, my mistake.

Agnos
Gue

Post#4 » May 22 2015 06:26

How did this game go?

I can say as a Chaos player that your opponent's list really doesn't come across the table with much resilience or reliability, lacking a lot of the key units and upgrades that would make it shine against an average gunline or mobile tau force.

Specifically, I think Daemons need a psychic presence (including or in lieu of CSM - or nowadays, Daemonkin - allies) to support things like DoS Grinders and large Hound units, which four warp charges and no access to Telepathy isn't going to cut.

Moreover, his list seems pretty unoptimized, with lots of points thrown into units that are redundant or poor choices, unit sizes being quickly thought out (where's the 11th Horror? Why five flamers? Why baleful torrent if you're running each phase to use the warpsword, or vice versa? etc)...

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#5 » May 23 2015 12:39

I have watched a few games and I know his warlord (or flying stuff in general) is pretty resilient so I'd recommend at least a VT. Blast template stuff ie cyclic blaster and the Air Frag to deal with the troops.

It might also help us to know remotely you will be bringing to the table as well for this particular game.

Hope this might help a little bit. :biggrin:

Emagdnim
Shas

Post#6 » Jun 28 2015 02:12

I played the missus yesterday. got massacred lol.

I didn't have too strong a list as I am currently teaching her to play but the tooled up great unclean one and big squads hit like a wrecking ball.

I really hope in the next codex our MCs get stubborn or fearless lol.
" Blasphemy is a victimless crime"

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jun 29 2015 09:49

Oops, missed the replys.

Agnos wrote:How did this game go?

I can say as a Chaos player that your opponent's list really doesn't come across the table with much resilience or reliability, lacking a lot of the key units and upgrades that would make it shine against an average gunline or mobile tau force.

Specifically, I think Daemons need a psychic presence (including or in lieu of CSM - or nowadays, Daemonkin - allies) to support things like DoS Grinders and large Hound units, which four warp charges and no access to Telepathy isn't going to cut.

Moreover, his list seems pretty unoptimized, with lots of points thrown into units that are redundant or poor choices, unit sizes being quickly thought out (where's the 11th Horror? Why five flamers? Why baleful torrent if you're running each phase to use the warpsword, or vice versa? etc)...

Very close, I won by 1 point, if your interested I posted the results under battle reports, http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=23222, it's the last battle.

Ifrit wrote:I have watched a few games and I know his warlord (or flying stuff in general) is pretty resilient so I'd recommend at least a VT. Blast template stuff ie cyclic blaster and the Air Frag to deal with the troops.

It might also help us to know remotely you will be bringing to the table as well for this particular game.

Hope this might help a little bit. :biggrin:

I think I posted a link to my list in the initial post, I did have a sky ray in the list so it helped some and a VT on the Riptide, but there were not many times when it was used to fire at Flyers and FMC's.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”