First 40K Fight

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
minimuscle
Shas

First 40K Fight

Post#1 » May 14 2015 11:23

I have made a post like this on this forums. It was locked as not enough detail was added. I am going to add a lot more now :P

I have never played a game of Warhammer 40k. I will be versing my friend who has also never played a game, but has spent far more time studying ways to win and beat my Tau army. He has watched many videos, I just haven't had the time to do that.

My Tau army is as follows: 500pts.
[spoiler=]HQ
Commander Farsight 165
Crisis Bodyguard 32
Crisis Bodyguard 32

Troops x 2
6 x Fire Warrior 54
1 x Fire Warrior Shas'ui 10

Heavy Support
Hammerhead Gunship 125
Submunition Rounds 5
Automated Repair System 5
Disruption Pod 15
Twin-linked Smart Missile System

Total Points: 497[/spoiler]

My friend doesn't know what he is going to take.
His armies he has are here:

Veteran Army:
[spoiler=]Company Command Squad 60p
- Vox Caster 5p
- Camo Gear 8p (Veterans)
Total: 73p

Veterans 60p
- Voxcaster 5p
- Forward Sentries 10p
- Heavy Flamer 10p
- Flamer 5p
- Flamer 5p
- Krak Grenades 10p
Total 105p

Veterans 60p
- Voxcaster 5p
- Forward Sentries 10p
- Grenade Launcher 5p
- Grenade Launcher 5p
- Krak Grenades 10p
Total 95p

Chimera 65p
- Hull Mounted Heavy Flamer 0p
- Camo Netting 15p
Total 80p

Heavy Weapons Team 45p
- Autocannon 10p
- Autocannon 10p
- Autocannon 10p
Total 75p

Scout Sentine 35p
- Missile Launcher 5p
- Hunter-Killer Missile 10p
- Camo Netting 15p
Total 65[/spoiler]
Two HQ army:
- Vox Caster 5p
- Heavy Flamer 10p
- Flamer 5p
- Flamer 5p
- Krak Grenades x4 4p
- Melta bomb 5p
- Camo Gear 18p
-Carpace Armor 8p
Total 120p

Company Command Squad 60p
- Vox Caster 5p
- Heavy Flamer 10p
- Flamer 5p
- Flamer 5p
- Krak Grenades x4 4p
- Melta bomb 5p
- Camo Gear 18p
-Carpace Armor 8p
Total 120p

Chimera 65p
- Hull Mounted Heavy Flamer 0p
- Camo Netting 15p
Total 80p

Veterans 60p
- Vox Caster 5p
- Krak Grenades 10p
- Forward Sentries 10p
Total 85p

Veterans 60p
- Vox Caster 5p
- Krak Grenades 10p
- Forward Sentries 10p
Total 85p[/spoiler]
Leman Russ Vanquisher Army:
[spoiler=]Company Comand Squad 60p
-Vox Caster 5p
Total 65p

Veterans 60p
-Vox Caster 5p
-Forward Sentries 10p
Total 75p

Guardsmen Squad 50p
-Vox Caster 5p
Total 55p

Chimera 65p
-Camo Netting 15p
Total 80p

Scout Sentinel 35p
-Missile Launcher 5p
-Camo Netting 15p
-Hunter Killer Missile 10p
Total 65p

Leman Russ Vanquisher 135p
-Camo netting 15p
-Lascannon 10p
Total 160p[/spoiler]

Basilisk Army:
[spoiler=]Company Comand Squad 60p
-Vox Caster 5p
Total 65p

Basilisk 125p
-Camo Netting 15p
Total 140p

Chimera 65p
-Camo Netting 15p
-Hull Heavy Flamer 0p
Total 80p

Veterans 60p
-Krak Grenades 10p
-Forward Sentries 10p
-Vox Caster 5p
Total 85p

Veterans 60p
-Krak Grenades 10p
-Forward Sentries 10p
-Vox Caster 5p
Total 85p

Scout Sentinel 35p
-Missile Launcher 5p
-Smoke Launcher 5p[/spoiler]

Vehicle Army:

Guardsmen 50p

Guardsmen 50p

Leman Russ Vanquisher 135p
-Lascannon 10p
-Camo Netting 15p

Basilisk 125p

Scout Sentinal 35p
-Missile Launcher 5p
-Camo Netting 15p
Total 55p[/spoiler]

I'm mostly scared of his basilisk as its got the Barrage type. But his autocannons also have 48" range. And his sentinel can redeploy. How to I combat this?

For more updating info on my army, visit my website: tauempire.tk

Stygian
Shas

Re: First 40K Fight

Post#2 » May 14 2015 11:40

With what you have just crash farsight into the heavy weapons team, use the hammerhead to take down any vehicles he has, then use your firewarriors to claim objectives or safely snipe the guardsmen from 30". In a straight up gunfight between gaurdsmen and firewarriors you should win, especially if you get to shoot first

minimuscle
Shas

Post#3 » May 15 2015 03:03

Stygian wrote:With what you have just crash farsight into the heavy weapons team, use the hammerhead to take down any vehicles he has, then use your firewarriors to claim objectives or safely snipe the guardsmen from 30". In a straight up gunfight between gaurdsmen and firewarriors you should win, especially if you get to shoot first

Yeah just have to watch out for his sentinel, which has unlimited Missile range.

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#4 » May 16 2015 01:49

What did you kit your XV8s with?
Also I feel like the repair system is a kind of wasted points but idk what you could possibly replace it with :/
Also I think a Commander might be better.
Also It'll free up points to kit out your XV8s better to deal with infantry with some burst cannons or plasma rifles.

So my two cents as to what I think you should run (if mostly infantry)(if mostly tanks then fusion?)

Commander 85
Air Frag. 15
Cyclic B. 15
C&C. 15
Total. 130

XV8 22 (2)
PR. 15
Ext Wep. 15
Total. 52(104)

Fire Warrior 54 (2)
54 (108)

Hammerhead unchanged (I'd probably drop the repair systems)

Grand total 492

Honestly with so few bodies I don't think you should be rushing into CC with a Farsight.

Hope this helps or gives you more food for thought. :biggrin:

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » May 16 2015 05:44

Farsight is great for the smaller 500pts battles.
Against IG he's a god in CC, play him agressive, and try to get into CC as much as possible.
Do take care around Str8AP3 shooting though, (Krak missiles etc.) as these are enough to Instant-death him after just a single failed 4++ save.

Replace the Bodyguards with a regular Crisis Team. They are 10pts cheaper each, and the minor bonusses the Bodyguards get does not outweigh the 20 pts saved.
What weapons do they have? every Crisis suit is allowed to take 3 weapon/sub-systems, and each should at the bare minimum always take 2 of those with them (preferably guns, since unlike most models, Crisis Suits can fire both at the same time!).
In combination with Farsight, seeing how you're up against IG, are short on points, and already have a HammerHead to deal with armor, I'd advice you take 2x BurstCannons, or MissilePod + Flamer. Or if you're feeling brave, 2x Flamers (because Farsight doesn't scatter if you choose to deepstrike)

Drop the 2x Fire Warrior Shas'ui's and save another 20 pts. The extra leadership they give is usually not worth the 10 pts.

For the Hammerhead, drop the Automated repair, and with the points saved above add Longstrike,
Rolling 1's is a Hammerhead's nightmare, and with Longstrike you get to re-roll olmost all of them VS an IG opponent.

Due to the Bodyguards initially not having any weapons, you might now be over the 500 pts limit.
As the saying goes, Boys before Toys wins you most games. So the best thing to drop first, would be Longstrike, any leftover points can then be re-filled with Gun-Drones.

-Derp
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

minimuscle
Shas

Post#6 » May 18 2015 06:32

ShasODerpy wrote:Farsight is great for the smaller 500pts battles.
Against IG he's a god in CC, play him agressive, and try to get into CC as much as possible.
Do take care around Str8AP3 shooting though, (Krak missiles etc.) as these are enough to Instant-death him after just a single failed 4++ save.

Replace the Bodyguards with a regular Crisis Team. They are 10pts cheaper each, and the minor bonusses the Bodyguards get does not outweigh the 20 pts saved.
What weapons do they have? every Crisis suit is allowed to take 3 weapon/sub-systems, and each should at the bare minimum always take 2 of those with them (preferably guns, since unlike most models, Crisis Suits can fire both at the same time!).
In combination with Farsight, seeing how you're up against IG, are short on points, and already have a HammerHead to deal with armor, I'd advice you take 2x BurstCannons, or MissilePod + Flamer. Or if you're feeling brave, 2x Flamers (because Farsight doesn't scatter if you choose to deepstrike)

Drop the 2x Fire Warrior Shas'ui's and save another 20 pts. The extra leadership they give is usually not worth the 10 pts.

For the Hammerhead, drop the Automated repair, and with the points saved above add Longstrike,
Rolling 1's is a Hammerhead's nightmare, and with Longstrike you get to re-roll olmost all of them VS an IG opponent.

Due to the Bodyguards initially not having any weapons, you might now be over the 500 pts limit.
As the saying goes, Boys before Toys wins you most games. So the best thing to drop first, would be Longstrike, any leftover points can then be re-filled with Gun-Drones.

-Derp

Thank you so much. I didn't know some of these things.

I actually had my first battle.... It was a custom game but ultimately we tied.

I scored 1st blood, 2 kills.
He scored Line Breaker and 2 objectives (we altered to 1pt each, not 3)

We had a trophy, i got it just because we forgot about Line Breaker.

I will tweak my army accordingly for our next battle, which may involve a riptide. (750 pts)

BTW, I have missile launchers and burst cannons on my battlesuits i believe.....
As i still don't know 100% of the rules, things like the Shas'ui I thought were good, until it was too late to change.

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » May 18 2015 10:13

It always takes a few games to get a feel for what works, and what doesn't. Ofcourse that's also what ATT is for!, so we can share these experiences.

For the the Riptide most people prefer an Ion Accelerator (because ap2 large blasts are awesome!).
Then either a TL-SMS (long range with a potential of 8 shots, if the secondary is nova-charged) or a TL-Fusion (Anti-Tank).

I'd leave the Drones at home, since if he loses 1, he'll have to take a Leadership test leaving your mega-mecha potentially running off the table.

Stimulants are expensive, but work wonders on his surviveability (you're even allowed to take FeelNoPain saves against failed Nova-charges!)
Again though, expensive! an extra Crisis suit might be much more usefull then a few FeelNoPain rolls.

-Derp
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Return to “Engaging the Alien”