Looking for a guide for various match ups?

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
slothosaurus
Shas

Looking for a guide for various match ups?

Post#1 » Jul 04 2015 08:47

Paraphrasing Sun Tzu, victory is assured by knowing both the self and the enemy - so I'm looking to know my enemy. Maybe a basic rundown on various tau match ups? I've been looking for a guide online and on this site, but can't find a summary anywhere.

Does someone know of anything like that? A link or anything?

There is both a tournament and a league coming up, and I don't want to come unprepared.

This is the army I plan on running, if it matters.

[spoiler=]3x XV8 w/ 1 Shas’vre, TL Plas Rifle, Fus Blaster + 4 shield drones - 229 pt
3x XV8 w/ 1 Shas’vre, TL Plas Rifle, Fus Blaster + 4 shield drones - 229 pt
Cadre Fireblade - 60 pt
12x FW - 108 pt
12x FW - 108 pt
3x Missile-Sides (HYMP + SMS) w/ 1 Shas’vre, 1 Seeker Missile + 2x shield drones - 237
3x Missile-Sides (HYMP + SMS) w/ 1 Shas’vre, 1 Seeker Missile + 2x shield drones - 237
Riptide w/ Ion Accel, TL SMS, VT, stim - 240 pt
10x Pathfinders - 110 pt
10x Pathfinders - 110 pt
Aegis Defense Line - 50 pt
Hammerhead Gunship w/ sub rounds, TL SMS - 130 pt[/spoiler]

edit: If there isn't a summary of match-ups available, could we maybe start one? If anyone has a lot of experience fighting any particular army, a quick run-down would be great. I'd be happy to compile them myself and post them up somewhere.

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Looking for a guide for various match ups?

Post#2 » Jul 04 2015 11:39

Your list is a bit on the soft side; can you list the models available so the forum can help you out? We do have a tactica section, but with the speed of GW releases, we cannot keep up. :::(
For the greater good!

slothosaurus
Shas

Post#3 » Jul 05 2015 08:25

Hmm... that's a shame. All I can really find is some charts that give you an idea of whether or not an army is shoot-y or melee oriented, horde or heavily armored, fast or slow.

Yeah sure.

I have the following:
[spoiler=]a cadre fireblade
24x FW
20x PF
6x XV8
6x XV88
2x Riptide
1x Hammerhead
16x Drones
6x stealth suits
1 Sniper + 3 S. Drones
ADL + Quadgun

I'm trying to go for an intermediate between casual and competitive so that I can run it in both.
Also - I'm a little bit hesitant about forge world stuff, but am willing to spend around $60/mo. to get the army where I want it.
Right now, I'd be using my army as the following:

anti-horde: missile-sides, pie-plates off the IA & hammerhead, FW on overwatch w/ supporting fire
anti-MEQ: most things
anti-TEQ: missile-sides (if they're moving in to attack), pie plates off the IA & hammerhead, and crisis suits
anti-tank: hammerhead and crisis suits

Rear: FW & ADL, Missile-sides
Mid-field: Riptide, pathfinders for support
Forward: Crisis suits

the list is very weak on Anti-Air, but the missile-sides can probably glance things to death. I used to have a quad gun in there, but after some play testing, I decided I'd rather have the Shas'vres. I'm all about reliability in my army, and the missile-sides are too easy to send off the board's edge (where I normally like to keep them)

I'm looking for a commander HQ to throw in with my riptide (but that's a huge point sink, and I already have tank hunter because of the firebase support cadre. probably over-buffing), and really like shadow sun's ability to give my team infiltrate (to get my crisis team further up, and wreck tanks even harder)[/spoiler]

edit: keeping my list and options in spoilers because this isn't the right sub-forum for cadre building, and because I'm looking for info on other armies here.

MODELGLUE Eio'Y
Kor'El
Kor'El

Post#4 » Jul 05 2015 12:09

Macknight wrote:Your list is a bit on the soft side; can you list the models available so the forum can help you out? We do have a tactica section, but with the speed of GW releases, we cannot keep up. :::(

True, I went looking for slothosaurus last night after I read the OP and didn't find a lot beside the latest battle reports.

That might be the best solution for you:
viewforum.php?f=43

slothosaurus
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 06 2015 09:50

modelglue wrote:
Macknight wrote:Your list is a bit on the soft side; can you list the models available so the forum can help you out? We do have a tactica section, but with the speed of GW releases, we cannot keep up. :::(

True, I went looking for slothosaurus last night after I read the OP and didn't find a lot beside the latest battle reports.

That might be the best solution for you:
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewforum.php?f=43

yeah - I think I'll look around on youtube for a unit overview of each army with their new codex, and take some notes about what I think of each. I'm on vacation right now, so it won't be any time soon, but I'll share what I find at some point.

How often do new codices come out? Maybe once a month or something like that?

Return to “Engaging the Alien”