Curse of the Wulfen and the new rules it brings

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
KuroRyu
Shas'La

Curse of the Wulfen and the new rules it brings

Post#1 » Feb 15 2016 06:58

So as a Space Wolf collector (as well as Tau) I picked up Warzone Fenris on saturday. It's an excellent read by the way that i would reccomend to everyone for excellent fluff even if you don't care for the new Wolves and Daemons rules.

However the rules is what we're here to talk about and I'd like to encourage a discussion from my fellow wargamers about the strengths and weaknesses of these new formations and units.

The Wolves have been given the 7th ed astartes treatment and received a couple of interesting formations. I want to look at two in particular.

The Ironwolves and The Blackmanes.

The Iron wolves have 3 special rules.
Firstly they can move an extra 6" when moving flat out and impose a -2 penalty to Ld checks caused by tank shocks.
Secondly they can disembark after moving 12".
Thirdly they get free weapon and wargear options on all their vehicles.
Their only restriction is that they must take enough dedicated transports with enough capacity to transport all non vehicle models.

I quickly wrote up a sample 1000 points Ironwolves list that maximised razorbacks to give upgrades.

1 Wolf guard leader
3 Squads of Blood Claws in razorbacks
4 Squads of Grey Hunters in razorbacks
1 Squad of Long fangs in a razorback

That's 38 guys in 8 razorbacks all with extra armour, stormbolters, HK missiles and whichever turret variant, or combination of, you find most scary.
This works out at 380 points of free vehicle upgrades, more if you're silly and give them all dozer blades as well. (why not i suppose)

In 1000 points this seems pretty frightening when you consider the prospect of 38 guys with bolters and chainswords who are better at hitting us with swords than we are them. Also 8 armoured vehicles with las/plas, assault cannons or twin las that will give our own armour and battlesuits a hard time.

That's one potential enemy we face.

The blackmanes have a similar setup but a different method.

Blackmanes also have 3 special rules.
Firstly they get free drop pods and those drop pods all arrive on turn 1. They also don't count towards the number of drop pods arriving by drop pod assault.
Secondly if Ragnar Blackmane is on the battlefield he and all blood claws (and variants thereof) re-roll failed to hit rolls in melee.
Thirdly Anyone who gets out of a drop pod is fearless and has FnP 6+ until their next turn.

Once again I made a sample 1000 point list maximising free drop pods.

1 Wolf Guard Leader
1 Wolf guard squad in a drop pod
5 Blood Claws squads in drop pods
6 Grey Hunters Squads in drop pods
1 Wolf scouts squad
1 Long Fangs Squad in a drop pod

That's 64 guys in 13 free drop pods.
At the cost of 2 grey hunter squads we can turn the Wolf Guard leader into Ragnar Blackmane to make use of that second rule as well as the man's own special rules.

54 guys in 11 drop pods is still a daunting prospect and with Blackmane in the mix.

So I put it to the ATT community. How would you counter these lists? What other additions from Curse of the wulfen do you think are noteworthy? Who else thinks posing the wulfen leader like a callidus assassin was a bit silly?

Pseudomancer
Shas

Re: Curse of the Wulfen and the new rules it brings

Post#2 » Feb 17 2016 07:25

I'd fight them at above 1000 points.

Not meaning to be snarky; it's just that any list that gives you free stuff will be more powerful in games where people don't have as much stuff to start with. Even though the amount of stuff these guys get scales with the points value, in higher-points games you can more easily handle a swarm of light vehicles. Two Iontides are more than twice as good as one, if you know what I'm saying.
The Eastern Fringe Co-prosperity Sphere wants you!

gmaleron
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 17 2016 09:23

I run a pure suit army so I think in the case of the Blackmanes I'm definitely going to put Interceptor on absolutely everything!

xenotau
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 17 2016 05:27

Seeing all these free transport rules coming out really makes me wish we could get some points retooled on our devilfish >.>

KuroRyu
Shas'La

Post#5 » Feb 17 2016 10:20

Pseudomancer wrote:I'd fight them at above 1000 points.

Not meaning to be snarky; it's just that any list that gives you free stuff will be more powerful in games where people don't have as much stuff to start with. Even though the amount of stuff these guys get scales with the points value, in higher-points games you can more easily handle a swarm of light vehicles. Two Iontides are more than twice as good as one, if you know what I'm saying.

I get your point but what do you do if that isn't an option. Say it's a tournament or event and that's the points limit for that event. Do you simply not play?

shasocastris
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Feb 17 2016 11:07

I feel like the play against this army would be an OSC with a full ghostkeel team and as many drones in a Drone-net as one can fit. Against the razorback list, you're doing probably killing five razorbacks a turn at 18" (assuming target locks on the ghostkeels). Afterwards, you have a lot of 3+ saves to burn through, but that's nothing new for the Tau. And if need be, you have three MCs to charge in.

Against the Drop Pods, you have interceptor. I think such a list would be obnoxious to face, but certainly not unwinnable.

The army as I envision it would be:

3 Ghostkeels, 2 w/ Target Locks
2x Stealth Team (3 members each)
30 Drones (So seven units)

So, while you can't pin them, you have a lot of firepower. I don't know who you are playing, but I'd totally attempt to play up the OSC so they shoot the ghostkeels and not the drones.

Basically, I'm not convinced that this army has the firepower necessary to suppress us long enough to focus fire on key targets. Ragnar might be scary, but he can't charge out of a Drop Pod and he's only T4. Use cyclic ion rakers to kill his friends and then meltas to finish him. As always, I'd have to play against this army to really get a feel, but I'm not at this point super scared.

Cheers!

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Mar 03 2016 02:16

So what do people think of thunder wolves moving 24" getting a run with fleet then charging? Quite possible with a couple of space wolf formations.

Blueshock
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Mar 03 2016 03:36

fraction64 wrote:So what do people think of thunder wolves moving 24" getting a run with fleet then charging? Quite possible with a couple of space wolf formations.

Take a Royal Court Necron Formation and batter the crap out of the wolves, problem solved. Dunda Volfes are nasty thou and 3++ is no joke. Our new commanders wouldn't fare too bad against them either if paired with farsight.
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

KuroRyu
Shas'La

Post#9 » Mar 03 2016 08:51

fraction64 wrote:So what do people think of thunder wolves moving 24" getting a run with fleet then charging? Quite possible with a couple of space wolf formations.

That's only if you have a wulfen murderpack and can roll a 7+ on the curse table. The other effects can be just as nasty if not moreso in my opinion given that cavalry are already fast moving.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”