The Topic of Allies

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
KaptinKrocodile
Shas

The Topic of Allies

Post#1 » Feb 18 2016 09:13

So, I was considering the possibility of a side-army to start up besides the Tau once my Hunter Cadre is up and ready for action, and I was wondering: could my side army become allies of my main one? Which armies would work as suitable allies of the Greater Good?

Necrons interest me, but I'm more of an Oldcron-leaning guy and can't think of a good reason why Oldcrons would work with the living even if it was only a temporary thing (apart from maybe being the mysteeeeeerious kind of Oldcrons who do things noone can explain). Newcrons would provide the opportunity of a reason to ally (a common enemy like 'nids or something) but I'm not really a post-5th ed fan apart from the Transcendent C'tan, which got a cool-looking model. On the board, they could be built as a choppy supplement to bolster my shooty Tau, which is probably their most major draw as allies. That and they're Allies of Convenience so we don't have to worry about One Eye Open while playing with them.

Eldar are another good choice. Taudar was apparently the allied army everyone loved to hate in 6th ed when they were Battle Brothers, and not even bumping them down to Allies of Convenience could eliminate it completely. I can see myself getting a lot out of this combination, at any rate.

Orks would have been good shooty/choppy AoC before, but with them now being Desperate Allies it's harder to justify, especially since Necrons can do the same thing with better synergy. Could be worth it if I used a very long-ranged mech-focused Ork list with a Shokk Attack Gun Big Mek and his Mek Gunz shelling the enemy while my FWs and the like use their superior Ballistic Skill potential to blast them with plasma fire.

The Imperium used to offer us Space Marine BBs and Imperial Guard AoCs for use as Gue'vesa auxiliaries. As it is all Imperial Armies are now Desperate Allies, so Sisters of Battle-level right now. Again I'm sure I could make it work, but I'm not sure what I want from them, so it's likely gonna remain on the shelf for now.

What do you guys think?
We are the Tau. This is our time. For the Greater Good!

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui

Re: The Topic of Allies

Post#2 » Feb 18 2016 05:16

A similar topic already exists here
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

KaptinKrocodile
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 19 2016 06:58

Agent00abe wrote:A similar topic already exists here

Oops. Is there a way to delete superfluous threads?
We are the Tau. This is our time. For the Greater Good!

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Feb 19 2016 07:00

If you're an admin yea :P
I'll mark your post for the admin team :)
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

shasocastris
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Feb 19 2016 05:00

Eh, I'll just lock the thread. Deletion is reserved for ... other things.

-shasocastris

Return to “Engaging the Alien”