Engaging a Space marine Strike Force Ultra list

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Engaging a Space marine Strike Force Ultra list

Post#11 » May 22 2016 05:11

Raverrn wrote:If you're going to be running drones in a Stealth unit, you really should have a controller somewhere. It's cheap and you've always got a guy who isn't carrying anything.

^this.
Also when you already take a drone with them take a second one as well. There is no point in doing something only half way (you already risk the double 1 testing with the 4th model in the unit and a 5th won't change that).

Raverrn
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » May 22 2016 05:30

Also also, if you have two drones and manage to get one of your silly Stealthmans killed you get to count the unit as T4.

Quartz
Shas

Post#13 » May 22 2016 08:09

DC doesn't work on the missile drones?!?
Damn that's annoying, I played them as it did work in our previous game and they wrecked! Maybe that's why, but the missile drones became more effective than the broadsides themselves.
That should be a thing in the next update, it should be all drones anyway as I'm assuming they use the same AI system. (Not to wish list too much)

I did however play them in a retaliation cadre so the broadsides could move and deep strike and that worked amazingly!

So I could swap out buff commander's DC for the stealth teams, also, does DC work with counterfire defence system? I.E. The commander has BS2 in overwatch and DC says uses the BS of the commander for shooting - so do the drones get BS2 in overwatch just because the Commander has 5pts worth of CDS?
We gave them a chance at the greater good, now they die

ShasODerpy
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » May 22 2016 11:25

Raverrn wrote:If you're going to be running drones in a Stealth unit, you really should have a controller somewhere. It's cheap and you've always got a guy who isn't carrying anything.
For just 2 Drones, that equals 4 points/model to make them BS3. One might say it's cheap, but in my humble opinion it's 8 points better spend elsewhere.

Raverrn wrote:Also also, if you have two drones and manage to get one of your silly Stealthmans killed you get to count the unit as T4.
A nice little bonus. Though I prefer to sacrifice the much cheaper Drones. They fully benefit from the squads Stealthfield, and the pair combined is cheaper then a single Stealthsuit.
Using them as Ablative wounds like that is another reason I wouldn't add any DroneControllers to this unit. They are expected to take the early wounds, so might aswell keep it cheap. (Not saying it's thé right way, simply that it's my preferred way).

Quartz wrote:So I could swap out buff commander's DC for the stealth teams, also, does DC work with counterfire defence system? I.E. The commander has BS2 in overwatch and DC says uses the BS of the commander for shooting - so do the drones get BS2 in overwatch just because the Commander has 5pts worth of CDS?
Faintly remember this from an earlier topic. The general consensus seemed to be that it does not because of the order in wich the modifiers are applied.

A normal Overwatch has you fire Snapshots at BS1. A CDS instead modifies that value to BS2.
The Commander's actual Ballistic Skill value is still BS5, wich the DC shares to the drones, only to be set back to BS1 (Snapshots). BS2 is not conferred because the Drones do not have a CDS.

Basically, the DC still works but causes the Drones to fire BS5 Snapshots. The Commander simply has a Wargear piece that says his Snapshots are resolved at BS2.

-Derp
Shas'O 50mm, the Foresighted
WIP Tau

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » May 22 2016 11:39

ShasODerpy wrote:
Quartz wrote:So I could swap out buff commander's DC for the stealth teams, also, does DC work with counterfire defence system? I.E. The commander has BS2 in overwatch and DC says uses the BS of the commander for shooting - so do the drones get BS2 in overwatch just because the Commander has 5pts worth of CDS?
Faintly remember this from an earlier topic. The general consensus seemed to be that it does not because of the order in wich the modifiers are applied.

A normal Overwatch has you fire Snapshots at BS1. A CDS instead modifies that value to BS2.
The Commander's actual Ballistic Skill value is still BS5, wich the DC shares to the drones, only to be set back to BS1 (Snapshots). BS2 is not conferred because the Drones do not have a CDS.

Basically, the DC still works but causes the Drones to fire BS5 Snapshots. The Commander simply has a Wargear piece that says his Snapshots are resolved at BS2.

I agree on that interpretation.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”