How to beat Carnifex and Deathleaper

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
SniperTau
Shas'La

How to beat Carnifex and Deathleaper

Post#1 » Jun 01 2016 05:16

Hi, this is my first proper post. I am relatively new to the game, and do not know the best tactics for beating Carnifex and Deathleaper tyranids. I have a game coming up where my friend and I are having a game and I do not know what to do. Please help! :::( I have the starter set plus some pathfinders so not many points avaliable.
any help would be good.

SniperTau
'Snipers, ready, ready.....'

SomeTauGuy
Shas'Ui

Re: How to beat Carnifex and Deathleaper

Post#2 » Jun 01 2016 06:19

Use your pathfinders to marker light up Deathleaper. You want at least two on him for ignores cover then get your Firewarriors to shoot him to bits. Their weapons will ignore his armor save and have a higher strength than his toughness.

Equip your crisis suits with Plasma Rifles (or maybe Fusion) and send them after the Carnifex. If your pathfinder squad has Rail Rifles in it they can help too. Shoot with the pathfinders first to get some marker lights on the Carnifex and let the Crisis suits use them for increase to hit.

Edit: I'm assuming Deathleaper is lurking in cover near your troops and that the Carnifex is barreling across the table towards you. Tailor your marker light use to what is needed for ignores cover or more to hit.

SniperTau
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jun 01 2016 06:28

Thanks! I have a feeling he might try bring his tyranid drop pod thing too, so will come prepared with a lot of firepower.
thinking double fusion on 1-2 crisis and a twin-link plasma and burst cannon on a shas'vre.
Thanks for your quick reply. He also has swarms of genestealers too...

(Edit: added info on genestealers)

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jun 01 2016 10:53

Honestly Tyranids are in a very poor spot right now. Especially against Tau. That doesn't mean they won't have stuff that could hurt though but overall we shouldn't have too much trouble with anything he could throw at us.
Basically since he has no good armor saves, no high AV we can deal with everything and anything with just S7 spam (hell even S5 would be enough!) and markerlights to strip cover from them. Maybe some VT depending on how hard he wants to play (eg how many flyrants he plays).

Just remember that both of you are supposed to have fun and tyras already struggle against most armies so you shouldn't go all out with your list.

SniperTau
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jun 02 2016 03:46

Thanks Panzer. :D I am only a beginner so going easy should not be too hard

SniperTau
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jun 02 2016 03:49

He does have no flyrants or anything very big but has a mawloc that he recently got, although at this point level......
(and, fun fact, he lived in switzerland for the last 3 years so his codex is in german!)

AlmostMercury
Shas

Post#7 » Jun 02 2016 10:07

You can only snap fire against Deathleaper. I would just ignore it and kill the Carnifex first, which is far more dangerous.

What else does the player take in their army?

Illuria
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jun 02 2016 10:59

AlmostMercury wrote:You can only snap fire against Deathleaper. I would just ignore it and kill the Carnifex first, which is far more dangerous.

What else does the player take in their army?

While true, markerlights specifically say in their entry they can improve snap shots, so you can just markerlight it up and shoot the hell out of it using Coordinated Firepower to share the markerlights out.

Varyn
Shas

Post#9 » Jun 02 2016 01:55

I would personally go for missile pods on all 3 of your crisis suits, you want as much range as you can against tyranids. Split your pathfinders into 2 units of 5.

If you just have the get started! box and pathfinders, the only way you can field the list is if you run it as a CAD (or unbound).

Use the ethereal as your HQ, 2 units of 5 fire warriors as your troop choices (1 with SMS DS8 turret), 3 crisis suits and then 2 units of 5 pathfinders as fast attack

Those are my recommendations. As others have mentioned, tyranids are fairly low tier at the moment so you should be ok. The best thing to do if you're playing casual with friends is to try stuff out and figure out which units you enjoy playing and like the look of.

There's loads of really friendly experienced players on the forum here, so just ask anything :)

SniperTau
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jun 02 2016 03:37

Since he also swarms I want rapid fire so will need missile pods and burst cannons on 2 crisis and flamer and plasma on another.
Thanks for the help Varyn

Return to “Engaging the Alien”