How to beat Carnifex and Deathleaper

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Varyn
Shas

Re: How to beat Carnifex and Deathleaper

Post#11 » Jun 02 2016 04:29

Remember than anything S6+ will cause instant death to ripper swarms. Although any massed fire will do, it just means you have to chew through all 3 wounds if its less than S6

SniperTau
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jun 02 2016 04:46

Thanks, although i kinda meant he swarms his termagants and genestealers
'Snipers, ready, ready.....'

Varyn
Shas

Post#13 » Jun 02 2016 04:49

Ah ok, in that case, fire warriors are your best choice, save your missile pods/plasma for the bigger stuff :)

SniperTau
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jun 02 2016 05:04

Are breacher teams too much or should I just do fire teams?

AlmostMercury
Shas

Post#15 » Jun 02 2016 05:25

Illuria wrote:
AlmostMercury wrote:You can only snap fire against Deathleaper. I would just ignore it and kill the Carnifex first, which is far more dangerous.

What else does the player take in their army?

While true, markerlights specifically say in their entry they can improve snap shots, so you can just markerlight it up and shoot the hell out of it using Coordinated Firepower to share the markerlights out.

Of course you can raise the BS of snap shots, but before you can do that you need to snap fire your marker lights and drastically reducing their effectiveness. Deathleaper is not a Flyrant, so it's not that high on the target priority list. The OP also doesn't have the models for a Hunter Contingent, so he can't use co-ordinated firepower. If the OP had the models for a Hunter Contingent, there wouldn't even be a need for co-ordinated firepower.

Deathleaper, while very cool, is over costed and fairly ineffective. You either ignore it, or feed it a large fire warrior squad to keep it busy.

From the description of the units, I see the player uses:

A Carnifex
A Mawloc
Genestealers
Termagants
and Deathleaper.

The Carnifex and Mawloc do the heavy lifting of these models. The Carnifex you can interact with, and it only does work if it's equipped with 2 sets of twin-linked devourers. The Mawloc is more difficult to interact with, but may very well kill itself or make itself ineffective with common dice rolls. To be effective, the Mawloc needs to not scatter, needs to not kill what it's surfacing under, and then needs to roll itself into ongoing reserves on the mishap table. It's a lot of moving parts and a single Mawloc has quite the potential variance. Without lucky rolls it will do maybe 3 or 4 Blasts through the entire game.

Tyranid players (myself included) would run multiple Mawlocs in order to accomplish anything with them. That being said, Tau might actually be an army that a Mawloc could do CC damage against, and they are the cheapest source MC wounds in the codex. They can also actually attack Invisible units without penalty. Not all of that applies here.

Genestealers are overcosted glass cannons. They will do very well for their cost in combat. In fact, they might be the most point efficient combat unit in the game while in combat, BUT they die to a stiff breeze outside of combat. If you're afraid they can get to your lines, you shoot them and they die. They're actually most effective at this time as backfield objective holders as they pack quite the counter charge.

Termagants are just guardsmen with 12" guns, and if the player has paid for the 18" guns they're overcosted again.

Step one, kill the Carnifex. Step two, kill the swarm that is closest to you. Step three, ignore Deathleaper unless there's nothing else to shoot at. Step four, profit.

What I would also like to know is which units the tyranid player is using for Synapse control? The gaunts and Carnifex will be taking leadership tests each turn in order to do what the player wants. They're leadership isn't good, so they should be running for cover or charging a unit (depending on behaviour) without some assistance. Has your opponent been rolling on the instinctive behaviour table?

Final note, Crisis suits with flamers will eat these models alive.
Last edited by AlmostMercury on Jun 02 2016 05:33, edited 4 times in total.

AlmostMercury
Shas

Post#16 » Jun 02 2016 05:27

SniperTau wrote:Are breacher teams too much or should I just do fire teams?

Breacher teams might actually struggle against Genestealers based on range. If you get them in the shooting phase, they' kill them. But even a gene stealer or two will do some real work against Breachers in combat.

SniperTau
Shas'La

Post#17 » Jun 02 2016 05:45

Thanks again. for some reason the tyranid player does not know what synapse is? please help me understand what that is.

SniperTau
Shas'La

Post#18 » Jun 02 2016 05:50

I think the terrain is a no-mans-land type one with craters and stuff, so have divided the fire warriors into 5-man fire-teams for easy spread. one has the DS8 and the other has the shas'ui so I spread the advantages. which drones for my pathfinders would be best?

AlmostMercury
Shas

Post#19 » Jun 02 2016 05:55

Tyranids are grouped into Synapse creatures and non synapse creatures. The fluff explanation of this is that Synapse creatures link the Tyranids to the Hive Mind which is the "consciousness" of the tyranid race. When they're in synapse, they behave accordingly, when they're not in synapse they have a chance to behave accordingly or they fall into their instinctive behaviour.

Off the top of my head, the synapse creatures are Hive Tyrants, Tervigons, Trygon Primes, Tyranid Warriors, Tyranid Shrikes, Zoanthropes, Malanthropes, and Malenceptors. There might be another. Oh, and Tyranid Primes.

Everything else in the codex must be within 12" of a synapse creature or take a leadership test and possibly roll for instinctive behaviour. If they are outside of synapse range at the beginning of the movement phase, they take the test. There should be an instinctive behaviour table in the codex. I think it's in a funny place, before the unit descriptions if I recall. The appropriate table used is listed under each units data sheet entry.

When in synapse, all tyranids are fearless and act normally.

Genestealers are the only creatures in the codex who are not synapse creatures and can function on their own, regardless of they synapse coverage.

Is that sufficient?

AlmostMercury
Shas

Post#20 » Jun 02 2016 07:36

Verhalten Instinktiv or something like that.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”