Engaging the Iron Hands Death Star

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Vailex
Shas'Saal

Engaging the Iron Hands Death Star

Post#1 » Jun 05 2016 07:43

So I am going to attend the Nova Open this year and there are multiple people bringing this nasty new death star and I am trying to find a way to beat it with Tau. Here is the Nova FAQ for reference http://40kfaq.com/

Long story short Nova Open is very similiar to ITC with the few exceptions.
1. Invis is ruled by RAW.
2. Hunter Contingent is by RAW meaning we can share USR's when combining fire, just not the guys split firing.
3. Destroyer weapons do 3 wounds when you roll a 6, not D6.

Here is the completely broken (in terms of math) Iron Hands list

Iron Hands Angels of Death Detachment containing the following
1 Demi Company bare bones
-1 Chapter Master on bike with Gorgon's chain, power fist, artificer armor, SS
-Command Squad with Apothecary
-3 Tacs in Rhinos
-1 Attack Bike or Speeder
-1 Dev squad in rhino with 2 Grav cannons
-3 Techmarines on bikes

1 Honor of the Ancients Aux
-1 Ironclad Dread

1 Librarius Conclave
-4 ML 2 Libby's with various weapons on bikes

Inquisitor Detachment
-1 Xenos Inq with Skulls, Rad, and Psychostroke grenades

Basically all the bikes get together with the Tech Marines, Inquisitor and the librarians in one big death ball. The goal is to get 2 powers, Invis and Veil of time and channel them on 2+.

What this comes to is snap firing at them, then they get to reroll saves, and finally the unit has a 3+ FNP with the Chapter Master having a 2+ FNP. Now the only thing you can pray for right now is either they don't get one of those powers, (mainly Veil of Time), and that you can get some d-weapon hits with stomps. The issue is that invis forces your marker lights to snap fire which limits your D missiles. The psychostroke grenades can negate your assault power from your Storm Surges as well.

So I am calling on the Tau Collective to help me build a list around the Hunter Contingent to defeat this. Or I can just bring 3 knights with some allies and hope for the best.

Here is my list so far based on the models i have...

[spoiler=List]Hunter Cadre (1188pts)
XV8 Commander Crisis Suit (50pts)
Command and Control Node (15pts), Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite (20pts), Puretide Engram Neurochip (15pts)
XV104 Riptide Battlesuits (190pts)
Early Warning Override (5pts), Ion Accelerator (5pts), Twin-linked Smart Missile System
Pathfinder Team (55pts)
5x Pathfinder (55pts)
Pathfinder Team (55pts)
5x Pathfinder (55pts)
KV128 Stormsurge (438pts)
Advanced Targeting System (3pts), Early Warning Override (5pts), Pulse Driver Cannon (15pts), Shield Generator (50pts), Twin-linked Airbursting Fragmentation Projector (5pts)
Broadside (70pts)
Early Warning Override (5pts), Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System
Broadside (70pts)
Early Warning Override (5pts), Twin-linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-linked Smart Missile System
Troops (175pts)
Breacher Team (45pts)
5x Fire Warrior with Pulse Blaster (45pts)
Kroot Carnivores (65pts)
10x Kroot (60pts), Kroot Hound (5pts)
Kroot Carnivores (65pts)
10x Kroot (60pts), Kroot Hound (5pts)

Optimized Stealth Cadre (628pts)
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits (95pts)
Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon (30pts), Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon (30pts)
Stealth Shas'ui with Fusion Blaster (35pts)
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits (95pts)
Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon (30pts), Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon (30pts)
Stealth Shas'ui with Fusion Blaster (35pts)
XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits (438pts)
Ghostkeel Shas'vre (148pts)
Advanced Targeting System (3pts), Cyclic Ion Raker, Early Warning Override (5pts), Twin-linked Fusion Blaster (10pts)
Ghostkeel Shas'vre (145pts)
Cyclic Ion Raker, Target Lock (5pts), Twin-linked Fusion Blaster (10pts)
Ghostkeel Shas'vre (145pts)
Cyclic Ion Raker, Target Lock (5pts), Twin-linked Fusion Blaster (10pts)

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (34pts)
Bolt Pistol, Carapace Armour, Chainsword, 3x Servo Skulls (9pts)
Independent Character, Psyk-out Grenades, Servo Skulls, Stubborn[/spoiler]

I have played this IH deathstar 2 times now and it comes down to what powers they roll and if I can get a lucky 6 stomp in. Its frustrating and I know Ill see plenty of these at Nova. I was thinking of dropping the Riptide and broadsides and bringing 4 or 5 Crisis suits with Plasma guns to force more invuls. It would help I guess. Or try to find more points for another Storm Surge. I just really didnt want to by another Storm Surge and paint it up.

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: Engaging the Iron Hands Death Star

Post#2 » Jun 05 2016 11:50

Well as with any deathstar where you can't force your way through you either try to ignore it to some degree and play for objectives and such or you try to take it from multiple sides so he can't take everything with his chapter master.
There is no 100% save way to defeat such a nasty deathstar though. Stomps can work fine if you get a bit lucky, markerlights help a lot against snap shooting and being mobile is key if you cant force your way through (which you most likely can't against this one).

Also make sure to provide some speed bumps for the death star so it can't take out a lot of your points with a single charge.

Vailex
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 06 2016 07:41

Panzer wrote:Well as with any deathstar where you can't force your way through you either try to ignore it to some degree and play for objectives and such or you try to take it from multiple sides so he can't take everything with his chapter master.
There is no 100% save way to defeat such a nasty deathstar though. Stomps can work fine if you get a bit lucky, markerlights help a lot against snap shooting and being mobile is key if you cant force your way through (which you most likely can't against this one).

Also make sure to provide some speed bumps for the death star so it can't take out a lot of your points with a single charge.

Ya I agree. I can wrap some things in Kroot. The Breachers do surprisingly well being ap3. A good player is going to position those 2+ armor saves. I feel my current list has enough tank busting power so I should really drop the broadsides as they are not mobile at all and get some crisis with double plasma rifles in there. They might have a chance to keep away for a couple turns.

Usually the deathstar is going to multi assault so you will usually only get 1 round of speed bumping off.

I find that my Riptide really does nothing for my army. He could go in and charge with the storm surge but will likely get swept. Having advanced targeting should help. Ill just do my best to put all my precision shots on that Apothecary.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jun 06 2016 10:41

The Broadsides are fine imo. They can keep the deathstars attention to the front since even though they don't have AP2 on their main weaponry (HRR is really not worth it) they put out enough wounds to force saves.
The Riptide should do fine with the Ion pie plate. Lots of AP2 wounds and he is pretty mobile. Maybe take TL Plasma Rifles instead of a TL Smart Missile System as well.
However i'm not so sure about 3 Ghostkeels in the OSC. Normally it's pretty strong but i don't think it would help you a lot against such a deathstar unit.

Whether he can multi assault you and put his 2+ Armor guys between all of your hard hitting units or not entirely depends on how the game goes and how good you and he is though. It's not easy to fight against a Deathstar if you decide to do so but not impossible (kinda the whole point of playing a Deathstar).

Vailex
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jun 06 2016 11:06

The problem with the riptide in this situation is that he cannot snapfire the large blast ion weapon. The issue with the broadsides is, though they may place some wounds on a model, they are rerolling 2+ saves and then rolling 3+ FNP (2+ with the chapter master). Its hard to get through that numerically.

The OSC in my list is Key for taking out things like Knights, Gladius, or anything mechanized. Though I could reduce it to 2 Ghostkeels instead of 3. I just find 3 to be perfect for this formation.

In taking out this deathstar list, they are good for applying more wounds from a different direction, possibly getting to the Apothecary. I would keep them on a flank. They can effectively destroy the rest of the detachment while the rest of my army deals with the deathstar.

Varyn
Shas

Post#6 » Jun 06 2016 11:21

I feel like this is wrong to say; but I wouldn't want to even play against someone using that combination, it utterly takes the fun out of the game. Snap firing at T5 units, with a 3++ and rerollable saves.

Lets say you fire 100 fire warriors at the unit, you boost them to BS5, which means you get 83 hits, 42 of those hits wound. 6 get through the artificier armour, 1 gets through the armour save reroll and then that 1 wound needs to get through a 2+ fnp, which equates to 0.17 wounds on the chapter master (assuming he has invisibility and veil of time up)

some of the maths might be a little off, but it's close enough, so that means you need 600 shots to get 1 wound through (speaking purely from a statistical point of view)

I just cannot see any way that you can have a fun game against that kind of list.

Your only hope of killing it, is to spam markerlights at the unit til you get enough and then hit it with loads of D missiles, everything else is completely futile.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to sound depressing! just thinking through some of the maths and what a d@%$ punching list that is.

GeorgeJetson
Shas

Post#7 » Jun 06 2016 11:26

Marine named characters are still only T4, right? My suggestion might be OSC with Overcharged Ions + Wall of Mirrors. I suppose they've disallowed fortification networks, so the Darkstrider + Breacher CAD and Gun Fort trick won't work-- that would be a pretty nasty counter.

The only problem with this I guess are Marines on bikes are T5, IIRC and Invisibility means you cannot fire template weapons. Does Ignores Cover have any effect on that? I suppose it wouldn't, but for some reason I was thinking Invisibility worked like a cover save (or is it that ITC ruled it that way?).

I just cannot see any way that you can have a fun game against that kind of list.

Your only hope of killing it, is to spam markerlights at the unit til you get enough and then hit it with loads of D missiles, everything else is completely futile.

Do they weigh dice at these larger tournaments? Otherwise, you could do some interesting "modifications" to your dice when you face off against these lists. :crafty:

Here's a bucket of 6s. Fight statistical anomalies with "statistical anomalies."

"If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'."
Last edited by GeorgeJetson on Jun 06 2016 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jun 06 2016 11:28

Well i think it's obvious enough that it's a super cheesy opponent and that you either have to dedicate your whole tactic and list to take it out or you try to ignore the deathstar/keep it busy while taking out the rest and going for objectives.......or you accept that it might not be worth it to tailoring your list towards such an opponent because it would make the list too weak against other lists.
It's a tournament after all and sometimes you just can't win every match up with the faction you are playing no matter what list you write.

Marine named characters are still only T4, right? My suggestion might be OSC with Overcharged Ions + Wall of Mirrors. I suppose they've disallowed fortification networks, so the Darkstrider + Breacher CAD and Gun Fort trick won't work-- that would be a pretty nasty counter.

The deathstar is on bikes so it's T5 and those are the only real problem in such a list.

nic
Kroot'La

Post#9 » Jun 06 2016 01:10

I have not played against this particular deathstar build but I do believe that a couple of typical anti-deathstar weapons are still relevant and useful

1. The culexus assassin
2. Plenty of sniper kroot

So I do not expect the assassin to be able to charge across the table to shut down their powers but to an extent it does not need to - I out-shoot a list like that so it has to come to me or just watch as I delete the rest of the supporting (and objective scoring) army. I position the assassin ahead of my lines to block out a large part of the table with its null zone - this creates channels on either flank which the enemy can move down so I put kroot in those channels.

So long as there is decent enough terrain to hide the very small culexus model this leaves the opponent with the choice of spending multiple turns on chaff before getting to grips with the main Tau force (which can relocate as soon as it sees which flank is under attack) or forcing their way through the middle and spending at least a turn right under the Tau guns with no defensive buffs. If they go through the middle use all the precision shots and positioning tricks you know to put the wounds onto key models and to avoid hitting the Chapter Master tank.

If the tournament is unlikely to have the right sort of terrain then it gets harder because his supporting units can eliminate the assassin - in that case I would strongly consider one of the new Munitorum Crates to deliver your assassin. Other than that he needs deep-strikers to kill the assassin and so long as you have adequate numbers of EWO you can deal with any number of those that he can fit into a death star build

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jun 06 2016 01:46

Kroot-Snipers are indeed nice. Maybe AFP Crisis could work as well. While it doesn't wound as good as a sniper rifle does it doesn't require to hit 6s to actually snipe since it's a barrage weapon.
11 sniper kroot are about 1,5 times as expensive as a singe dual AFP Crisis suit.
I have no experience and haven't made any calculations but it could be a nice alternative to sniper kroot....maybe someone can do some quick calculating here (i don't have any of the formular required for this).

Vailex
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jun 06 2016 03:44

Oh ya its a super cheesy list. The Nova Open is one of the biggest tournaments in the US and all the cheese comes out to play. Now it is possible I wont play this list in the first day but I am pretty certain I will come across it at some point. I already know 2 people who are bringing it. It is totally not cool to play against. The guys playing it are nice guys they are simply super competitive and are preparing for this tournament. I like to have some kind of a balance with fluff myself. I hate the fact that I have to bring the inquisitor already to stop the Whitescars gladius scouting nonsense.

The Culexus assassin is probably the best plan as I can move within 12 inches of the bike squad and their blessings go away. Ill have to take away from something I guess.

I should be able to handle a lot of lists. Plenty of str 7 ignores cover in OSC hitting rear armor. Some D with stomps and some AP2.

nic
Kroot'La

Post#12 » Jun 06 2016 04:21

Vailex wrote:Oh ya its a super cheesy list. The Nova Open is one of the biggest tournaments in the US and all the cheese comes out to play. Now it is possible I wont play this list in the first day but I am pretty certain I will come across it at some point. I already know 2 people who are bringing it. It is totally not cool to play against. The guys playing it are nice guys they are simply super competitive and are preparing for this tournament. I like to have some kind of a balance with fluff myself. I hate the fact that I have to bring the inquisitor already to stop the Whitescars gladius scouting nonsense.

The Culexus assassin is probably the best plan as I can move within 12 inches of the bike squad and their blessings go away. Ill have to take away from something I guess.

Are they applying the new GW FAQ which allows you to deploy Infiltrators normally if you prefer? That can be a good option against hostile servo-skulls

The thing is that if you do deploy this way and they go right down the middle (which they quite possibly will) you can decide which side of their unit you want all the damage to hit and move the flank-guard kroot on that side in so that one of them is the nearest model when you launch into your huge Coordinated Firepower shooting attack on the turn their defenses are down. Obviously you would be aiming to either reduce their damage output (techmarines) or ability to buff (librarians) and with multiple targets it gets very hard for your opponent to deny you a 'closest model' on something good - he only has so many storm shields in there.

The other thing to consider is when room to maneuver is running out charging a unit of kroot into the deadliest part of the death star ahead of your stormsurge - if the kroot eat all the S8 AP1 hits for a turn they will keep your GC alive longer to maximise your chances of rolling that 6 on the stomp. Once you are running out of bubble-wrap waiting for them to charge you lets them position their characters just as they want, going on the offensive can seem rash but if it gets your models into the better position it might be worth it.

Vailex
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jun 06 2016 04:39

nic wrote:Are they applying the new GW FAQ which allows you to deploy Infiltrators normally if you prefer? That can be a good option against hostile servo-skulls

The thing is that if you do deploy this way and they go right down the middle (which they quite possibly will) you can decide which side of their unit you want all the damage to hit and move the flank-guard kroot on that side in so that one of them is the nearest model when you launch into your huge Coordinated Firepower shooting attack on the turn their defenses are down. Obviously you would be aiming to either reduce their damage output (techmarines) or ability to buff (librarians) and with multiple targets it gets very hard for your opponent to deny you a 'closest model' on something good - he only has so many storm shields in there.

The other thing to consider is when room to maneuver is running out charging a unit of kroot into the deadliest part of the death star ahead of your stormsurge - if the kroot eat all the S8 AP1 hits for a turn they will keep your GC alive longer to maximise your chances of rolling that 6 on the stomp. Once you are running out of bubble-wrap waiting for them to charge you lets them position their characters just as they want, going on the offensive can seem rash but if it gets your models into the better position it might be worth it.

Good points. I definitely need to charge with the Storm Surge to get those stomps in. I didn't think about throwing kroot in to absorb pf attacks. Most of the times I deploy I do it on one side and then deploy my OSC either in the middle or on the other side. I generally want to be in terrain for covers saves.

Vailex
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jun 06 2016 04:42

Here is an updated list. Throws more reliable AP2 out and can deal with the powers. Once the powers are down its over for that death star. I just have to figure out how to deploy the Culexus.

[spoiler=]+++ tau cadre (1849pts) +++

++ Tau Empire: Codex (2015) (Tau Hunter Contingent) (1675pts) ++

+ Core (1044pts) +

Hunter Cadre (1044pts)
Command (150pts)
Commander (150pts)
XV8 Commander Crisis Suit (65pts) [Command and Control Node (15pts), Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite (20pts), Puretide Engram Neurochip (15pts), Stimulant Injector (15pts)]
Elite (171pts)
XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (171pts)
Crisis Shas'ui (57pts) [Early Warning Override (5pts), 2x Plasma Rifle (30pts)]
Fast Attack (110pts)
Pathfinder Team (55pts) [5x Pathfinder (55pts)]
Pathfinder Team (55pts) [5x Pathfinder (55pts)]
Heavy Support (438pts)
KV128 Stormsurges (438pts)
KV128 Stormsurge (438pts) [Advanced Targeting System (3pts), Early Warning Override (5pts), Pulse Driver Cannon (15pts), Shield Generator (50pts), Twin-linked Airbursting Fragmentation Projector (5pts)]
Troops (175pts)
Breacher Team (45pts) [5x Fire Warrior with Pulse Blaster (45pts)]
Kroot Carnivores (65pts) [10x Kroot (60pts), Kroot Hound (5pts)]
Kroot Carnivores (65pts) [10x Kroot (60pts), Kroot Hound (5pts)]

+ Auxiliary (631pts) +

Optimized Stealth Cadre (631pts)
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits (95pts) [Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon (30pts), Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon (30pts)]
Stealth Shas'ui with Fusion Blaster (35pts) [Fusion Blaster (5pts)]
XV25 Stealth Battlesuits (95pts) [Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon (30pts), Stealth Shas'ui with Burst Cannon (30pts)]
Stealth Shas'ui with Fusion Blaster (35pts) [Fusion Blaster (5pts)]
XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits (441pts)
Ghostkeel Shas'vre (148pts) [Advanced Targeting System (3pts), Cyclic Ion Raker, Early Warning Override (5pts), Twin-linked Fusion Blaster (10pts)]
Ghostkeel Shas'vre (148pts) [Advanced Targeting System (3pts), Cyclic Ion Raker, Target Lock (5pts), Twin-linked Fusion Blaster (10pts)]
Ghostkeel Shas'vre (145pts) [Cyclic Ion Raker, Target Lock (5pts), Twin-linked Fusion Blaster (10pts)]

+ Primary Detachment +

Primary Detachment

++ Inquisition: Codex (2013) (Inq Inquisitorial Detachment) (34pts) ++

+ HQ (34pts) +

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor (34pts) [Bolt Pistol, Carapace Armour, Chainsword, 3x Servo Skulls (9pts)]

++ Officio Assassinorum: Dataslate (2014) (Officio Assassinorum Detachment) (140pts) ++

+ Elites (140pts) +

Culexus Assassin (140pts)

Created with BattleScribe[/spoiler]

Vailex
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jun 14 2016 09:12

Just an update. I had the chance to play against an eldar seer star list and added a culexus. Worked like a charm. Just had to be careful of positioning for one eye open ruling. To beat the IH star you need the culexus and group up to move forward.

Bolter&Rail
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Jun 17 2016 06:41

I am also planning on adding a Culexus Assassin for the points already mentioned. Also does NOVA nerf 2+ rerollable like ITC does? I assume not given the discussion, but at ITC a 2+ rerollable is a 4+ on the second roll which drastically changes the scariness of this list.

The Tau Hunter Contingent should be as good as it gets for us dealing with deathstars. Markerlights improve snapshots and drones are BS2 anyway so firing a handful of drones at the deathstar first shouldn't be too painful. Just having a handful of markerlight hits before you fire the rest of your army against the deathstar is absolutely crucial to improve BS or ignore cover. Just 3 ML hits will have you firing at better than normal BS and your entire army will benefit from it. I thing adding a drone net formation into this list instead of squishy pathfinders could be key. You will want a ton of makerlight options already for the stormsurge and you can have them all fire at a deathstar if you need to. Between that and a Culexus you can make invisibility a non-issue and then it all comes down to the armour save of the deathstar. Looks like you are bringing the plasma suits to help get around that, but could also consider running the melta blast on some of the ghostkeels as well if you want some additional low AP (I agree that Cyclic Ion Raker is a better gun but maybe not x3 for this situation)...

My 2 cents would likely drop a ghostkeel and pathfinders to make room for a drone net formation. Ya you lose the firepower of a ghostkeel, but you know your needed markerlights (for the stormsurge and deathstar) won't get alpha-striked and will really grant your army improved BS or ignore cover wherever you want. Ghostkeels are fantastic, but they are risky since they won't eat any firepower since opponents wont shoot at them and they are forced to play the mid-field and I have lost many a ghostkeel unit to psychic shriek or assault...

Syzygy
Shas

Post#17 » Aug 11 2016 10:03

I'm engaging a similar deathstar soon and I'm frankly unsure how I'll be able to dent it.

The plan is to bring the following formation detachments:

Heavy Retribution Cadre
Stormsurge -- pulse driver cannon, burst cannon
Stormsurge -- pulse driver cannon, burst cannon
Ghostkeel -- fusion collider, fusion blaster
Riptide Wing
Riptide -- ion accelerator, plasma rifle
Drone Net
4xmarker drone squads

and a Farsight CAD with 6 vanilla suits to snag objectives and a mark'o commander.

This is what I'm facing:

[spoiler=]Wolf Guard Battle Leader Thunderwolf / Runic Armour / Power Fist / Storm Shield

Wolf Guard Battle Leader Thunderwolf / Runic Armour / Power Fist / Storm Shield

Wolf Guard Battle Leader Thunderwolf / Runic Armour / Power Fist / Storm Shield

Elites:

Servitor

Servitor

Fast Attack:

Drop Pod

AoD Fist of Medusa Strike Force(Iron Hands Chapter Tactics)

Command:
Librarius Conclave
Librarian ML2 / Power Armour / Bolt Pistol / Force Stave / Space Marine Bike
Librarian ML2 / Power Armour / Bolt Pistol / Force Axe / Space Marine Bike

Strike Force Command
Captain / Chapter Master / Artificer Armour / The Gorgon's Chain / Lightning Claw / Power Fist / Space Marine Bike
Core:
Armoured Task Force
Techmarine / Bolt Pistol / Power Axe / Servo-arm / Space Marine Bike
Whirlwind
Whirlwind
Whirlwind

Auxiliary:
Honoured Ancients
Dreadnought / Power Fist / MM

Dark Angels Allied Detachment
HQ:
Elites:
Ravenwing Command Squad Black Knight(3) / Ravenwing Apothecary / Ravenwing Company Banner
Troops:
Scout Squad Scout(4) / Sergeant[/spoiler]

3+FNP on libbies and 2+ FNP on chapter master... Everyone's seen it, now, just in varying shapes and configurations. Nigh-impossible to kill.
The plan is to simply keep putting pie plates on the blob. I've never ran the heavy retribution cadre before, but I reckon its special rules are going to limit the deathstar's movement dramatically. No turbo boosting/running, halved charge range. I plan to simply use this formation to kite the deathstar in the middle while I hopefully play to the objectives with my weaponless obsec suits. I'll alpha strike the whirlwinds and peripheral units, leaving all but the star to worry about, keeping my important suits wrapped in drones, and altogether keeping my distance.

Anyone have experience with this sort of plan? Is the heavy retribution cadre as effective as I'm hoping?

GeorgeJetson
Shas

Post#18 » Aug 12 2016 01:48

Syzygy,

The good news is that, unless I misread something, I don't see a lot of Grav in that list. Which will mean that your Riptides will be more (theoretically) survivable. I would use your Riptides to strip hull points from his Whirlwinds and vaporize the Ravenguard.

Maybe I'm suffering from an undiagnosed mental disability or adult learning disorder, but to me the Stormsurge would be a pretty good hard-counter to the IH FNP/IWND deathstar. IIRC, marines on Bikes (Librarians or otherwise) are T5. With the PBC (without anchors) you get two (four with anchors, but you have to keep him in range) Strength D (read: instant death, no FNP roll to even a bike mounted marine) per shooting phase, plus the option for two pretty high Str (albeit low AP) pie-plates. 8 wounds on a T6 GMC is not exactly a push-over, plus your 12" move and D-stomps.

Are you planning on using the Pulse Driver Cannon or the Pulse Blast Cannon?

I would play aggressively with the SSs and take the PBC (I've yet to use the Storm surge without it). Positioning the Ghostkeel for the re-roll benefits would be the biggest tactical concern, IMO, that and saturation of fast-moving targets. It may take a couple turns to disable it, but I think you could start removing models theoretically turn 1 from the deathstar (I would alpha-strike the Conclave or the Chapter Master with D-missiles, you can pie-plate the whirlwinds once the Libbies and Wolf Guard are smoldering craters).

Return to “Engaging the Alien”