Genestealer cults might be a problem.

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
fraction64
Shas'Saal

Genestealer cults might be a problem.

Post#1 » Sep 26 2016 01:48

So the following is all confirmed by codex pictures.
The entire army can appear in front of you turn 1 on a 3+. Shoot twice on a 5+ and charge on a 6+. This is all within 6". 1 they just walk on and 2 they outflank.
They have ways to make this more likely with warlord traits and the like. They can also dissappear from the board and do it all over again. If they are in their special detachment they get d6 models back too.
They have ignores cover rending weapons, genestealers with 5++, and mind control powers that make you shoot your own units.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Re: Genestealer cults might be a problem.

Post#2 » Sep 26 2016 02:03

Ways to counter:

-Have screen units such as Kroot
-Stop depending on suits to win your games and hold them in reserve (how Tau used to play)
-volume over powerful weapons with an emphasis on army synergy (again, how Tau used to play before Titans walked the land)

Personally I'm excited to see them on the battlefield and more excited to destabilize the constant XV armies that have taken over the Tau army players.
~Good Hunting

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 26 2016 02:10

Very excited to see how this shakes up the meta.
The psychic powers are very good. They get access to their own Broodmind lore (one with the mind control plus they have a summoning spell too and plenty of buffs and debuffs), biomancy, and telepathy.
They can deploy using that ambush rule but all future uses of it will be from ongoing reserves so intersceptor will work on them after the first turn.
They are also very cheap with models as low as 5 pts per.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Sep 26 2016 02:17

Here's that rule:

City Ambush Rules

Cult ambush

Instead of arriving from reserves normally, unit can roll the ambush table D6
1/ your own table edge
2/ roll d6 1-2 left 3-4 right 5-6 you choose
3/ anywhere more 9" from enemy or 6" from enemy which have no los
4/ 6"
5/ 6" + bouns shooting or run
6/ 3" + charge on the turn arrive
~Good Hunting

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#5 » Sep 26 2016 02:38

Well Flamer still wreck them so unless they roll a 6 (in which case you could just screen your units) things like Ghostkeels with Flamer or Crisis with Flamer will still do the trick.
Also it sounds like they still come out of reserves just in a different way so Riptides with EWO still laugh at them while they throw pie plates around.

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Sep 26 2016 03:05

At least on every turn after the first. They can simply deploy this way.
The are various things that allow them to get better odds on the table. Warlord trait that allows them to pick result and core formation rolls 2 dice and picks result/ 3 dice if they are joined by a character.
Another possible combo is an icon that grants +1 to fnp and the biomancy power endurance. That can make them much harder to put down.
Don't expect the vehicles to be much trouble with chimera or lower stats but one is an assault vehicle. They do also have access to guard vehicles but those aren't too scary.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Sep 26 2016 03:15

I'd be more worried about their cheap rending that's all over the place, personally. Also the new 'snip' rule: for every unsaved wound, take a toughness test or die.
~Good Hunting

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#8 » Sep 26 2016 03:17

Yeah the amount of rending attacks is scary.
I guess GSC could become pretty competetive. If not against us then at least against many other armies who can't bring as much Interceptor, good Overwatch and JSJ shenanigans.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Sep 26 2016 03:20

Until I see the vehicles list I'm not worried about them. Their Genestealers are also souped up compared to the Tyranids. What i'm thinking is that we're seeing our first intelligent blob army with hidden knives amongst swarms of cheap models.
~Good Hunting

TauMan
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Sep 26 2016 04:45

Calmsword wrote:Until I see the vehicles list I'm not worried about them. Their Genestealers are also souped up compared to the Tyranids. What i'm thinking is that we're seeing our first intelligent blob army with hidden knives amongst swarms of cheap models.
He says serenely until the Genestealer Cult rolls out its first Baneblade! I remember the rules for the old rules for Genestealer Cults, they can operate anything their host race uses. Alright so I don't know what the new rule set is going to allow them, but I can see some creative types fielding a purple tinted Baneblade in their Genestealer army. :dead:

The TauMan is officially *snae'ta* terrified!
:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:
8th Edition is here: Keep Calm and Carry On!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”