Genestealer cults might be a problem.

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Genestealer cults might be a problem.

Post#21 » Sep 27 2016 11:33

I would agree.
~Good Hunting

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Sep 28 2016 05:50

Tau are uniquely poised to counter this with cheap interceptor available to a wide variety of units. Though they can deploy this way as well which would mean that they can be in your face turn one without interceptor, though if they don't have turn one that would not be a good move on their part.
Another thing to note is how insanely inexpensive their units are pointswise. Their most expensive unit is a purestrain at 14 points and that has a 5++ and an extra attack now. Their better guard equivalent is about 5 points per model. I've seen early decurions over 100 models at 1500. Plus if you don't kill a unit and it sneaks off it heals d6 models
All their HQs provide buffs like fearless, hatred, or FNP in 12" bubbles. You also cannot snipe them out because they auto pass all look out sir. They do also have formations where they can roll up to 3 dice for the ambush and there's a warlord trait where the warlord and its unit picks the result.

Seishin
Lore Shas

Post#23 » Sep 28 2016 08:03

They might indeed...

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#24 » Sep 28 2016 11:58

So Web weapons were featured on BoLS. Those will bypass the armour of everything short of Crisis Suits, Broadsides and Monstrous Creatures.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Sep 28 2016 01:05

Jefffar wrote:So Web weapons were featured on BoLS. Those will bypass the armour of everything short of Crisis Suits, Broadsides and Monstrous Creatures.

I don't know how it's been for you but in my games a Firewarriors armor wasn't reliable anyway. With T3 they get too many wounds to survive any half-serious shooting thrown at them.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#26 » Sep 28 2016 01:24

If they get within 16 inches you're going to have bigger problems then a blast weapon.
~Good Hunting

nic
Kroot'La
Kroot'La

Post#27 » Sep 28 2016 02:15

Jefffar wrote:So Web weapons were featured on BoLS. Those will bypass the armour of everything short of Crisis Suits, Broadsides and Monstrous Creatures.

True enough but I tend to play my games on the basis that most special weapons will kill Fire Warriors or Drones and anything at all will kill Kroot or Pathfinders. Another special weapon in the game that can kill our infantry is not a shock.

Harlequin2
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#28 » Sep 28 2016 02:18

I wouldn't worry about them. Firewarriors and drones die anyway whilst XV25s should be in cover. Webbers seem to be more deadly to Craftworld Eldar and Sisters of Battle, both of which have expensive Strength 3, Armour 3+ units in spades.

Calmsword wrote:If they get within 16 inches you're going to have bigger problems then a blast weapon.

Also this.

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » Sep 28 2016 08:29

I'd say the webber would be a lot scarier to suits if a psyker enfeebles the unit first. Then it's ap3.

The army will have to rely on psyker powers and bodies to survive tau shooting. Question is if you can shoot enough sms before they close in.

And of course they'll generally win objective games because of their crazy mobility.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#30 » Oct 07 2016 09:34

Tau Suits' generally-high strength value means that the Webber isn't really a threat to them. Their S is almost always higher than their T and Sv.

The big problem the Jean Genies present is their whack-a-mole playstyle. It'll be easy to write lists dedicated to killing them, mind, but the problem is adapting normal lists to the challenge. Stuff like those Mining Lasers will be nasty popping up behind a line of Broadsides, for example.

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#31 » Oct 07 2016 02:30

I played a mixed Tyranid and Gene cult list in a tournament back in August before their new codex came out, primary objectives ended in a draw, but I lost on secondary objectives(almost tied secondary too). Counter-striking was important that game with all my Crisis suits and my Ghostkeel starting in reserve.

Looking at the new cult ambush table, going first is probably better(and hope they don't seize like in my game) unless you have an Infiltration cadre then go second hold almost everything in reserve except the cadre.

Mind control... the only real counter is killing the model that has it before it can get in range(it does have a range right?).

Trying to think of counters to the point-blank infiltration possibilities has made me think of some interesting options. Most of them would only work vs. cult, but one I've been thinking about that would also work against Gene cult, is a Retaliation cadre and a Counter-strike cadre (in a dawn blade contingent or not), a Recon drone in a devilfish allows precision deep strike for the retaliation cadre near it and it is difficult to kill.

EmbraveYourInnerGeek
Shas

Post#32 » Oct 18 2016 01:56

If you will forgive the intrusion (I was a dedicated supporter of the greater good....but I've lapsed), I really don't think Tau need to worry about GSC.

I'm planning a GSC army. I've been reading the codex for the last week or so, and theory hammering various scenarios, and the one that always stumps me is Tau with lots of early warning overrides. Unless the GSC goes first, and rolls a bunch of 6s, a Tau army will absolutly wreck it. I just cann't see a way past intercept and smart missle systems. Even if the GSC player goes first, with a few units of kroot screening your heavy hitters, it's going to be a tough game for the Cult.

As others have said, the only option the GSC player has is to play strictly to the mission and almost forget about killing the Tau army.

Against any other foe, I think the Cult will be pretty strong, but Tau will be a real struggle.

EYIG

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#33 » Oct 18 2016 05:20

That's a situation where they've specifically built a list to take down your force, mind. Also a Riptide firing EWO to kill a 50pt squad is hilarious overkill.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#34 » Oct 18 2016 07:30

I agree. Tau are really good at list tailoring so it shouldn't be surprising for them to wreck GSC if they actually do so.
However I believe with the right list and tactic GSC would be able to take care of EWO Crisis. They have enough access to tanks after all and you don't HAVE to infiltrate near the Crisis if it would kill you.

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#35 » Oct 18 2016 12:41

Well with EWO being broken cheap at 5 points why wouldn't you always take it? Especially when it protects your army from a ton of very powerful tactics.
Now if you were to say that sky fire was a given I'd be more skeptical.

EmbraveYourInnerGeek
Shas

Post#36 » Oct 18 2016 12:56

CoffeeGrunt wrote:That's a situation where they've specifically built a list to take down your force, mind. Also a Riptide firing EWO to kill a 50pt squad is hilarious overkill.

Not really - Riptide wing with SMS and EWO is a pretty strong all comers list at the moment, at least in the UK. I was at a 2 day, 6 game tournament last weekend. Thirty six players 9 tau players all of whom were running Riptides with SMS in Riptide wings. There were over 30 Riptides. Now I don't know how many of them had SMS ... but I would be willing to bet the vast majority.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#37 » Oct 18 2016 01:56

Yes EWO SMS/Iontides are pretty much the standard for any halfway serious Tau list right now. Especially in a Riptide Wing. Most of the time it's probably enough for them to just use the SMS as interceptor and the Ion weapon in the actual shooting phase for other targets.

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#38 » Oct 19 2016 06:14

Really? I take Fusion Blasters for the AT ability, personally. Then again I haven't gone near a tournament, so I don't have to worry about pandering to a a meta. :)

Return to “Engaging the Alien”