Cyclopia Cabal - New hotness how to deal with it???

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Demorte
Gue'La

Cyclopia Cabal - New hotness how to deal with it???

Post#1 » Oct 18 2016 01:25

Hey guys,

As am building up my tau force, me and the other members of the tournament crew in my area have been hitting a lot of events.

One big thing some tau players going up against our demon players are running into is that Cyclopia Cabal utilizing Psychic Powers - Shroud of Deceit affectionately called " You work for me "

https://maleficdesign.wordpress.com/tag/black-legion-rules/

Shroud of Deceit is Psychic Power that targets a single non vehicle unit within 30" the target unit cannot be locked in combat. You can immediately make a shooting attack with that unit as if its part of your army.

if you are playing an army that has a missiles for days in shooting, like two stormsurges in a unit, or a charged up riptide wing things quickly get nasty.

It’s a regular shooting attack, that always the enemy to fire any weapons and including all one shot weapons as well.

Seems to me that with addition of this new spells and the genestealers competitive tournament meta is gonna shift.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Re: Cyclopia Cabal - New hotness how to deal with it???

Post#2 » Nov 15 2016 09:42

Stop taking giant shooting units. Go MSU so that if any of them get compromised they can't wreck the rest of your army. Play to the mission. Play like a space marine demi company player. This problem might even get worse if the thousand sons codex comes out and gives them even more access to these kinds of powers.
Now there are at least two armies that can control models and make them shoot their allies it's just too risky to consolidate that much shooting into one unit.

I've seen a cabal use a stormsurge to massacre their whole back line then pop it with psychic scream and crippling debuffs. Just not worth it.

nic
Kroot'La

Post#3 » Nov 16 2016 06:46

Due to the rather strange wording of the power the direct psychic defenses- culexus or sisters of silence - do not work. You could try to build for deny rolls with the Talisman and psyker allies but I suspect any such allies will dilute the core build concept too much.

Fraction64 is correct that MSU does not have the same issue. On the other hand if you are committed to using the gargantuan creatures then there might be a way - more commitment.

Unless you are going first and have a clear shot at hurting your opponent reserve everything but your stormsurges. Run them forwards as fast as you can and get stomping before your reserves arrive. If you have nothing else on the table then any "shoot your own models" power is negated.

If you need to do this often I think it pushes you toward a triple-surge build.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#4 » Nov 17 2016 08:47

fraction64 wrote: Play like a space marine demi company player.

I am a battle company player :)

And I do agree BIG mechs are something thats likely gonna need to become more rare to counter. Am thinking piranha spam may work out just fine. I gotta theory-craft some workable list and just play test them till I get a solid comp list.

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 27 2016 02:55

Fun thing. Now any Tzeentch chaos marine psyker can cast this power potentially. Also with the thousand sons returning there will be quite a few more of them including a certain red flying giant.
That is a lot of units shooting their friends.
9+ psykers would not be unheard of.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”