Countering Magnus the Red

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
TauMinded
Shas'Saal

Countering Magnus the Red

Post#1 » Dec 27 2016 01:03

Looking for some input on ideas in general to get a discussion going.

However my particular scenario is for a 1k pt game. I'm thinking I want to limit my models on the field and force my opponent to deal with a specific threat.

With that in mind; I believe a Ghostkeel wing seems like a decent option. Run them with CIBs and upgrade to TL-BCs as well. Include the VT support system on each as well. Mathhammer indicates the upgrade to TL-FBs isn't any better.

I don't believe Magnus has many ways of ignoring cover saves, but lots of ways of ignoring 2+ armor. So broadsides and crisis suits seem to be easy pickings and not helpful here.

The Ghostkeel toughness is also a good bonus as long as a 6 isn't rolled to wound with a D attack (thinking of his beam psy power).

Maybe it's also useful to bring a FSE Commander with Talisman of Arthas Moloch and surround him with the GK wing.

I'd add a drone net formation and the FSE Commander would be in a CAD accompanied by 2x crisis suits.

Let me know what you guys think. Perhaps I'm missing some specific details on Magnus that makes this strategy moot.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Countering Magnus the Red

Post#2 » Dec 27 2016 02:02

Well one thing is for sure: Don't try to kill him. There might be a small chance to kill him if he is on the ground but as soon as he is flying you shouldn't even try.
Mathhammer tells us that even a BS5 Ghostkeel Wing with VT would need 2 whole shooting phases to take a single wound off of him if he's pushed himself to a 3++ (which is fairly easy). Totally not worth it at all.

So the only thing that's left would be to focus on the rest of his army and play the mission. TSons are fairly expensive and with a Magnus on the field he can't have much else at 1k points so that should be pretty easy. Small Plasma Crisis teams to kill stuff and Kroot MSU units to get all the objectives before Magnus can kill each of them would be my way to go I guess.

Some durable stuff sounds good to me as well. Especially the Ghostkeel. But without knowing what Psychic Powers he will have it's hard to say imo.

And last but not least....bringing Magnus to a 1k point game sounds like as much a dick move as bringing a Riptide Wing or a Stormsurge. :P

TauMinded
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Dec 27 2016 02:44

Wouldn't 18 shots from CIBs with VT and BS5 inflict 7.5 wounds on average with 2.5 wounds taken. This is what mathhammer tells me when Magnus is 3++.
Plus the 12 BC cannon shots from the GKs and shots from crisis suits and commander would be nice if he's downed.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 27 2016 03:35

It would if he couldn't re-roll 1s as Thousand Son. :D After this Mathhammer tells us that he gets only ~1,6 wounds through from the Ion Accelerator (not CIB) and ~0.4 wounds from the TL BCs.

Okay I forgot to add the wounds that went through before the re-roll of 1s. My bad. But yeah only about 2 wounds with a BS5 Ghostkeel Wing which has only 18" range anyway. Expensive and if the TSons player manages to land and charge they are done for since Ghostkeels aren't exactly great in melee with their T5 3++.

Also keep in mind that mathhammer is not exactly accurate when it comes to this kind of stuff...others should be able to provide better numbers here. ;)

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#5 » Dec 27 2016 12:24

Shouldn't even allow Magnus in a 1000 point game personally, he's got to much going on to make it a very fair fight.

That being said :evil: if you can get shots on him before he juices up that can help, other then that kill everything around him, spread out force him to have to move around and out play him on the mission.

Crooked Bird
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Dec 28 2016 11:38

You could call his brother. It worked for Horus! :P
I regret what I have not done.

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jan 06 2017 11:24

He's actually crippling to take at 1k unless your opponent just takes all Tzaangors to try to get as many bodies as possible and then he won't have any shooting or extra pay dice to pump into Magnus.
More bodies is the way to go against him that or a stormsurge shooting all 4 D missiles at him. Though hope you get 1st turn with the second one because Magnus can make one of your units shoot for him.

Suppose you should also watch out for the either 3 flamers of Tzeentch or the burning chariot he can summon every turn. At 1k he'll be focusing on that instead of the D beam to make up for his numbers.

Vailex
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jan 27 2017 10:33

Ya i have played against Magnus and played Magnus as well. Simply ignore him unless you somehow magically get him on the ground.

Even though he can cast 6 powers a turn, he will only have so much warp charge.

He chews up so much of his lists points that there isn't much of an army to support him. Kill the rest of the army.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”