Guilliman returns: Dealing with an Imperial Primarch

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
GuidingOlive
Shas'Saal

Re: Guilliman returns: Dealing with an Imperial Primarch

Post#11 » Mar 05 2017 05:46

Messed up my wording there a bit. I meant to say that Jump and Jet Pack Infantry are "Infantry" and they are allowed to embark. It's just they usually have rules that make them less desirable in transports (Jet-Pack confers Very Bulky for example).

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#12 » Mar 05 2017 01:13

You guys. :D

Yes he has Eternal Warrior, so no you can't snipe him properly.

And no he obviously can't join units nor embark in vehicles. Independent Character IS a subtype but even if he had it the FAQ prevents him from joining units just like our Coldstar Commander. ;)

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Mar 05 2017 09:19

Allegedly at the end of the book he goes on a new crusade. I wonder where who is target is?

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#14 » Mar 06 2017 02:42

Also on a sidenote the formation with Cato and Sternguard/Vanguard Veterans is supposed to let him LOS! wounds onto them when he is in 3" range or so.
Whether that means that you still have to wound against his T6 or not is unclear though. Guess we'll have to wait for some proper screenshots of those rules.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La

Post#15 » Mar 06 2017 10:59

I apologise. I had forgotten about the FAQ.
Panzer wrote:Independent Character IS a subtype but even if he had it the FAQ prevents him from joining units just like our Coldstar Commander. ;)

All of the Tau HQs are "Infantry (Character)" or "Jet Pack Infantry (Character)." I have yet to see a datasheet in any current codex that has "[Unit Type] (Independent Character)." That's because Independent Character is a special rule, not a subtype. But this discussion is now moot because the rest of have been revealed, and as you say, Independent Character isn't among them.

MasterCraft
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Apr 20 2017 01:04

So I have a (for fun) game this weekend where my opponent is bringing Guilliman and I am using my Stromsurge for the first time. I'd like to share with you the units that I have. Basically, I'm looking for tips and tactics on fighting him. Not sure of his list, he's not super competitive but plans on bringing a stormraven and another flyer. Playing at 2000pts.

I'm deathly afraid of flyers to so I planned on taking VT on my surge and broadside. Want to make sure I have enough to deal with them.

Units I own:
-Commander
-Fireblade
-Darkstrider
-Ethereal
-2x FW squads w/Fish
-14 Kroot
-10 Hounds
-All types of drones
-10 PFs (all MLs)
-3 Crisis (2x Plasma)
-2 Crisis (2x Melta)
-2x Stealth (all burst cannons)
-Riptide
-R'Varna
-Stormsurge (PDC)
-2 Misslesides
-1 Railside
-Hammerhead (rail and Longstrike)

Thanks in advance.

MasterCraft
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Apr 30 2017 08:55

With 8th ed on the horizon I find it not so necessary at this point for feedback on my prior request. However, I would like to share my experience with fighting Guilliman.

In preparation I intentionally built a static list that had little to no mobility. I was prepared to batten down the hatches and dig in. As far as fighting Guilliman it proved effective. I threw pretty much everything I could at hime for 2 rounds and he only took 1 wound. It wasn't until he got in range of my Fireblade and Warriors that whittled him down. That and a whole lot of luck as he never resurrected.

On the other hand it left me in trouble with scoring objectives. I couldn't move anywhere because my opponent was aggressively dropping pods and flying up to my front lines. While the game ended in a 13 to 5 Tau victory, it was only because a unit of terms failed a moral check that I was able to gain the upper hand.

Because those terms failed, when the game continued past turn 5 I was able to draw more objectives (malestrom: escalation). Because my opponent had nothing really left I had free reign to grab all my objectives. Lesson learned though. Always have maneuverability. ;)

R.D.
Shas'La

Post#18 » Apr 30 2017 11:12

Jacket wrote:Allegedly at the end of the book he goes on a new crusade. I wonder where who is target is?

Judging by the latest trailer, he's focusing on Chaos (and given the state of the galaxy, rather sensibly enough...)

Return to “Engaging the Alien”