Beating AM conscript horde

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Vailex
Shas'Saal

Beating AM conscript horde

Post#1 » Jul 01 2017 11:23

So I have played against this list a few times now and It can be pretty difficult to deal with. This is the list in a nutshell

HQ
Yarrick
Iron Hand Straken
Ministorum Priest
Astropath
Celestine

2 x 50 man conscripts
1 Aegis defense line

3x Manticores
3x Wyverns
3x Taurex with autocannon and gatling guns

Scion Prime
2x Tempestus scions squads, 2 plasma guns each

yarrick and the buff crew are bubble wrapped with vehicles and 100 conscripts behind a defense line. Scions deep strike and shoot stuff. Celestine usually does act of faith crap to move 24" on the board and kill things. The artillery cares not for line of site and rerolls 1's to hit do to buff squad. The conscripts auto pass morale due to Yarrick and retreat only to get back in the fight during their turn. Manticores are usually hidden and protected behind LOS stuff along with the wyverns and the Taurax are in front of them for protection.

Its like this ball of death you cannot break through. I mean what do you do just bring crap tons of burst cannons and hope for the best? Yarrick is absolutely key to this list as he keeps the battleshock on the conscripts in check. Just have to bring a crap ton of long range firepower and take out the artillery IF you can see it or get to it but our long range firepower is expensive while their's is frustratingly cheap.

Thoughts?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Beating AM conscript horde

Post#2 » Jul 01 2017 11:35

Vailex wrote:yarrick and the buff crew are bubble wrapped with vehicles and 100 conscripts behind a defense line. Scions deep strike and shoot stuff. Celestine usually does act of faith crap to move 24" on the board and kill things. The artillery cares not for line of site and rerolls 1's to hit do to buff squad. The conscripts auto pass morale due to Yarrick and retreat only to get back in the fight during their turn. Manticores are usually hidden and protected behind LOS stuff along with the wyverns and the Taurax are in front of them for protection.

Its like this ball of death you cannot break through. I mean what do you do just bring crap tons of burst cannons and hope for the best? Yarrick is absolutely key to this list as he keeps the battleshock on the conscripts in check. Just have to bring a crap ton of long range firepower and take out the artillery IF you can see it or get to it but our long range firepower is expensive while their's is frustratingly cheap.

Thoughts?

My guess is, you'd need a change in tactics as opposed to (big) change in your list, like you mentioned. Focus the vehicles and Celestine first, and try to stay out of range of the Conscripts. They can probably be ignored. If you can knock out a couple of vehicles, that's a great start. Hopefully XV8s or Fusion Commanders can kill Celestine. Let Longstrike, Missile Commanders, and maybe a few Seekers make a dent in their parking lot. Once the vehicles start to go down, the Conscripts will be forced to move forward, where your Fire Warriors can hopefully o them in.

Have you played many games with this player? I'd be curious to hear more detail about how the games went.

Vailex
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 01 2017 11:42

Ive played 2 games against this so far. The Manticores, Wyverns and Taurex can be brutal with their firepower. I don't list tailor so just thinking tactically. The conscripts certainly can be ignored as they really do not do much shooting wise. Its tough parking lot to shoot through and you can't get close enough with fusion guns.

I feel like our sniper drones are just not good enough to take down Yarrick if you can get in position to see him

knute
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 01 2017 02:54

Have you tried a max stealth suit team with a homing beacon? Decent anti-infantry fire plus gives you the ability to deep strike within fusion range so you can kill a vehicle or cripple two of them (or, or if you're supremely lucky, four of them).

Also, that's the Taurox Prime you're referring to; the regular Taurox can't take a gatling cannon.

I think target priority will be key to fighting the list you've posted. I would actually ignore Yarrick, his conscripts, and Celestine to the extent you can; all they'll due is soak up your shots without meaningfully diminishing your opponent's combat effectiveness. Rather, I would focus on your opponent's vehicles.

Unfortunately, as with most things guard, their vehicles are efficiently priced and generally very effective in the shooting phase. All three of the vehicle types he's brought pose a significant threat to your army. However, I think there is a (marginal) hierarchy to his vehicles. I would probably prioritize the Taurox Primes due to their BS3+ and extremely high rate of fire. Next on the target priority list would be the Manticores; S10 guns dealing multiple damage with each shot is really good against Tau battlesuits. In fact, depending on how your opponent deploys his army, I would say it's a toss-up between the Primes and the Manticores as to which you should target first. I assume that he'll deploy the Primes towards the front of his lines because of the 24" range on the gatling cannon, and that he would deploy the manticores towards the rear, where it would be almost impossible to deep strike within 18". If that's the case, I would go after the Primes first. But if your opponent is sloppy and gives you room to deep strike within 18" of his Manticores, I'd go after them first. I would priority the Wyverns last because they're BS4+ and have a variable number of shots, but which will generally be less than the Primes. The ability to re-roll failed wounds is good, but I don't think it's good enough to put them ahead of Manticores and Primes in the target priority list.

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#5 » Jul 01 2017 03:01

There's some good discussion and advice here, though I'm curious as to what list you're running. Would you mind posting yours as well?
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jul 01 2017 10:34

Sa'cea Mont'yr wrote:There's some good discussion and advice here, though I'm curious as to what list you're running. Would you mind posting yours as well?

Definitely. I assume you're running a competitive list given the one you're up against, but let us check out your army roster!

Vailex
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jul 03 2017 09:32

I haven't played against this list with Tau just yet, though I own enough Tau models to field most things. I only lack Forgeworld items.

This guard list I think you guys will see a lot in tournaments as it circumvents some key elements of the game right now, battleshock tests, and line of sight.

I have played this list using space marines a couple times. Thanks for the feedback so far. I generally like the idea of using Ghostkeels and stealth suits along with a stormsurge and a few commanders. Then 3 units of fire warriors, a unit of pathfinders and some gun drones/marker drones.

Tetra's look so awesome now though so it may be better to simply use them.

Im mainly looking for list ideas on how to handle this. 1 thing that really hurts this list is -1 or -2 to hit modifiers. The ghostkeels would largely not care much about this army, they simply need to avoid combat.

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Jul 03 2017 01:07

I wonder if a change of point of view might help.

Tall units (Stormsurge, Riptide, Knights) might be able to see over the masses to engage the artillery directly. Flyers may also be able to similarly engage those hidden at the back.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”