Matchup against Aeldari

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
QimRas
Shas'Saal

Matchup against Aeldari

Post#1 » Sep 20 2017 11:35

So I have played 3 games against my girlfriend who is both new to the game and new to Aeldari.

Put bluntly, I have wiped her out all three times. Each time I have tabled her by turn 3. I am getting the feeling their short range vs tau's long range is just too hard to cope with. That said, is anyone aware of some successful strategies that Aeldari can use to get an edge on Tau?

My list is primarily infantry. Firewarriors with Shield Drones in 5 man groups make the backbone. There are usually at least two 5 man Pathfinder teams with 3 rail rifles and Grav-Inhibitor, Pulse Accelerator and 2 Shield Drones acting as fire support. Cadre Fireblades are my go-to HQ choice, with the occasional Ethereal. Anti-Armor is usually provided by a 3 man Crisis Team with 2x Fusion and 1x CIB each and stiffened by a pack of 6 Shield Drones, but in one game I used two Barracudas instead. Which are beastly, by the way.

Her lists have been a mix bag. Rangers, Guardians in blobs, Bikes, Dire Avengers, Striking Scorpions, Swooping Hawks, Warlocks, an Autarch, a Farseer, Wave Serpents, Falcons, Fire Prisms.

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Re: Matchup against Aeldari

Post#2 » Sep 20 2017 03:45

Well making sure there is enough line of sight blocking terrain may be a good thing to look into.
Long range shooting out of bikes or wave serpents should do fine against Tau.
Some wraithguard hidden and waiting for closer range suits should work well too.
Trying to form a gun line to fight you is probably the wrong idea but a mix of mechanized melee threats and some long range pressure should do fine.
Now she is rather new so are you helping her with target priority and positioning?

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Sep 20 2017 04:28

fraction64 wrote:Well making sure there is enough line of sight blocking terrain may be a good thing to look into.
Long range shooting out of bikes or wave serpents should do fine against Tau.
Some wraithguard hidden and waiting for closer range suits should work well too.
Trying to form a gun line to fight you is probably the wrong idea but a mix of mechanized melee threats and some long range pressure should do fine.
Now she is rather new so are you helping her with target priority and positioning?

Those are noted, and in her next list she is going to try a very bike heavy list with three transports full of troops to dump on objectives or in my face.

She is very new, and... I don't think I am helping her enough with prioritization or positioning. Any tips or hints you can think of?

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Sep 20 2017 04:43

I would think about how your units work mostly. Tell her what you think needs to die and who she has that can do it.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”