Mordians

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
Callumibob
Shas'Saal

Mordians

Post#1 » Jan 06 2018 06:45

Hi all,

So I've got a guy I play with regularly who plays mordians. At 1500 points he's got 130 men, 4 officers, 2 salamanders, 3 earth shaker platforms and a load of heavy weapon squads. Officers can give out all kinds of crazy buffs. I can beat him when playing objectives but in open war he just stomps me. I've tried dropping crisis flamers on a homing beacon, burst cannons, fire blade gun lines but there's just that many infantry units I could roll straight 6s on my entire army and not take a sizeable chunk out.

Anyone come across this before? Or have any ideas? I'm a bit stumped.

leo1925
Shas

Re: Mordians

Post#2 » Jan 06 2018 11:15

Officers don't give crazy buffs, they give good buffs and it is the army's force multiplier.
Anyway, can you give us the usual way he deploys his men?

Callumibob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 06 2018 11:29

Earth shakers on the edge of the board then heavy weapon teams then the infantry in a line along the edge of his deployment three lines deep if he can, with officers evenly spaced. The salamanders tend to go each end so they can vanguard. Infantry in base contact to get the mordian buffs. There's enough men to go end to end 2 lines deep with dawn of war deployment.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 08 2018 10:35

Need to start using CC to your advantage against his awful troops. Crash devilfish, y'varha, or dakka piranhas in his mouth and use shield drones near some commanders to clear the heavy weapons. You can pull troops away or into your models to then deepstrike units as well. Stop trying to outshoot guard. It won't work well for you, or any of us for that matter.

Also, if you can beat him with mission based scenarios I don't think it much matters that he can beat you in a straight up kill everything on the board game. If you play against anyone in any real setting, his victory will mean far less than yours since yours takes tact and skill whereas his is optimized to just throw dice and crush you with the weight.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Jan 08 2018 10:30

Yojimbob wrote:Need to start using CC to your advantage against his awful troops. Crash devilfish, y'varha, or dakka piranhas in his mouth and use shield drones near some commanders to clear the heavy weapons. You can pull troops away or into your models to then deepstrike units as well. Stop trying to outshoot guard. It won't work well for you, or any of us for that matter.

I think this is likely the only way to do it. Get battlesuits and vehicles shooting, then charging, into the infantry lines. Get him to fall back, and hit the Heavy Weapons Teams and artillery with long-range firepower like Missile Pod Commanders or something else. There's no way to actually kill all of those models, but if you disrupt the formation and disable its firepower you may be able to score a tactical victory.

I wonder, though, how a counter-list with 130 Kroot and some Commanders would do though... :D

Callumibob
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jan 09 2018 05:35

Ooooh I'm almost tempted to bulk buy kroot too see what happens :P I've got another get started kit on order so that'll take me to 9 suits. I'll try shooting and charging next time see how they fare

Nymphomanius
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jan 15 2018 11:08

Just remember when charging mordian hit on 5+ if base to base with another model! Doesn't sound like much but it's twice as many hits as expected

QimRas
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jan 15 2018 12:45

I wonder if using individual Piranha would work. They will get wounded by the lasguns on a 5+, hit on a 5+, and if destroyed still potentially leave a pair of gundrones behind, or can ditch the drones when nearby to be able to charge two sets of units.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”