Fighting chaos

Discuss both Auxiliary, Allied and Aliens tactics
fraction64
Shas'Saal

Fighting chaos

Post#1 » Jan 06 2018 12:45

Was wondering how many people play against chaos here?
With the new daemon codex coming out turn one charges by 30 man blood daemons or even primarchs is an unavoidable part of the game.
Do we just have to take interceptor now on everything?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Fighting chaos

Post#2 » Jan 08 2018 09:51

fraction64 wrote:Was wondering how many people play against chaos here?
With the new daemon codex coming out turn one charges by 30 man blood daemons or even primarchs is an unavoidable part of the game.

This is a huge problem that we'll have to learn to deal with. However, I don't think that Support Systems are the answer. Rather, screening will be an absolute necessity. Keep your important units screened behind Fire Warriors, Gun Drones, or Kroot.

Also, going second will be important too. If Mortarion deep strikes out of position, you need to make sure there aren't huge targets he can take out. Let Mortarion drop in, erase some Fire Warriors, then erase him in turn with counter-deep striking XV8s.

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 09 2018 01:03

Need at least 2 layers of chaff if fighting khorne. 5cp buys them a deepstrike and a second pile in and attack, just like berzerkers.
Against a Primarch interceptor might not be enough but it could really help against the troop blobs. They tend to only be t3 with a 5++.
Granted I'm more scared of the deepstriking daemon engines. Really any high end shooting unit.
Tzeentch daemons got a lot scarier with shooting.

Draaen
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jan 09 2018 01:04

Arka0415 wrote:Also, going second will be important too. If Mortarion deep strikes out of position, you need to make sure there aren't huge targets he can take out. Let Mortarion drop in, erase some Fire Warriors, then erase him in turn with counter-deep striking XV8s.

Why not go first take some pot shots with what is there and move around to create a larger deep strike denial area. Then just deep strike top of turn 2 and wipe out Mortarion?
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

fraction64
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 09 2018 05:48

What if he pops the +1 invuln save stratagem and tanks your counter attack?
Feel lioke spread out long ranged firepower is the way to go but don't know where to get it from.

nic
Kroot'Ui
Kroot'Ui

Post#6 » Jan 09 2018 06:10

Arka0415 wrote:
fraction64 wrote:Was wondering how many people play against chaos here?

This is a huge problem that we'll have to learn to deal with. However, I don't think that Support Systems are the answer. Rather, screening will be an absolute necessity. Keep your important units screened behind Fire Warriors, Gun Drones, or Kroot.

Also, going second will be important too. If Mortarion deep strikes out of position, you need to make sure there aren't huge targets he can take out. Let Mortarion drop in, erase some Fire Warriors, then erase him in turn with counter-deep striking XV8s.

All of this ^

Also zoning out the mid-field with infiltrators is a powerful counterplay and can force an opponent right back into their own deployment zone - CP wasted.

These are the foundation-stones of knowing how to deploy and play games of 8th edition:
Screen your valuable units with cheaper disposable units
Hold firepower in reserve to hit your opponent where it hurts

I know we are pretty much on hold with academy articles while we wait for the codex but does anybody think it would be worthwhile to put together a tactica for some of these key concepts?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Jan 09 2018 07:11

Draaen wrote:Why not go first take some pot shots with what is there and move around to create a larger deep strike denial area. Then just deep strike top of turn 2 and wipe out Mortarion?

There are a number of possible situations, but it boils down to this: the goal is to have Mortarion drop before the suits do. Then the suits counter-drop and kill Mortarion. Unless Chaos has some very fast screening units they won't be able to screen an out-of-position Mortarion.

If we go first, we can screen against deep strikers, but we lose a valuable turn of battlesuit shooting. If we go second, we still get shooting on the first turn but Mortarion will hopefully have already arrived.

If we go second and Mortarion hasn't already arrived, then we may need to drop anyway, since 1000 points of battlesuits waiting for a 500 points of Mortarion is a win for Chaos, I think.

nic wrote:Zoning out the mid-field with infiltrators is a powerful counterplay and can force an opponent right back into their own deployment zone - CP wasted.

These are the foundation-stones of knowing how to deploy and play games of 8th edition:
Screen your valuable units with cheaper disposable units
Hold firepower in reserve to hit your opponent where it hurts

I know we are pretty much on hold with academy articles while we wait for the codex but does anybody think it would be worthwhile to put together a tactica for some of these key concepts?

Honestly I can't speak to the viability of screening units like Kroot in the current Index because I don't think they're cheap enough, but I think there's a very high chance that, the meta as it is, Kroot screen spam will be highly effective in the upcoming Codex.

Return to “Engaging the Alien”