Dealing with Necron Destroyer Lord w/Nightmare Shroud

A review of past Alien Tactics by commanders during the First and Second Phase Expansion.
Eiglepulper
Shas'O

Re: Dealing with Necron Destroyer Lord w/Nightmare Shroud

Post#11 » Apr 30 2010 07:04

The NS has no statline for range, strength, AP or weapon type. Its description designates it as a 'weapon' which has an area effect. If it is used, it precludes the user from firing any ranged weapon (Staff of Light). It is not categorised as any specific weapon type, nor is there any mention in its explanatory notes in the Codex or in the Necron FAQ to say that the Lord cannot assault after using it.

If you think that a Destroyer Lord with a Nightmare Shroud is bad, try facing him doing his "thing" with the Shroud when a Pariah unit is nearby .... Now *that* can be real fun. :evil:

As for getting rid of him: max range shots from plasma rifles (don't forget to factor in the JSJ extra range) to negate his armour save and force him to use the WBB roll instead. He is a hard nut to crack, but enough shots hitting home will eventually do the trick.

E.

russ29
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » May 01 2010 03:52

You must treat killing the lord as a bonus, because he can actually get back up with all his wounds back, considering that he has that phylactery, which is a rather cheap item. And also, choose your targets well, since his fast troops are not really good at close combat, even wraiths. Hurt the lord with firepower that can be expended, meaning that can shoot no other necrons nearby(They are rather slow), and then tie up other fast units with close combat, such as broadsides to wraiths, for they don't have power weapons. Just plan to kill right, and they will fall quite easily.
Through unity, devastation

Huru MorDae
Shas

Post#13 » May 01 2010 06:40

Instead of putting your infantry in reserve I suggest keeping them inside a devilfish/smartfish, this way you do not have to wait for reserve rolls, and they just do not up and run off the board.

As for bait, a unit that expensive is going to need a pretty good sized bait element to get its attention, the lose of such a unit would not be worth the gain usually...

Focus your vehicles on him and leave your infantry to handle the rest of his army. If he gives you and opportunity lay into him with EVERYTHING.

Personally I found the Ionhead does the best here.
Manta spam, its the future.
The Tau on The Attack
Manta

Bear
Fio'Vre

Post#14 » May 01 2010 10:17

eiglepulper wrote:The NS has no statline for range, strength, AP or weapon type. Its description designates it as a 'weapon' which has an area effect. If it is used, it precludes the user from firing any ranged weapon (Staff of Light). It is not categorised as any specific weapon type, nor is there any mention in its explanatory notes in the Codex or in the Necron FAQ to say that the Lord cannot assault after using it.

Necron Codex wrote:The Nightmare Shroud may be activated in the shooting phase instead of firing a weapon.

It's not a weapon, but you need to be able to shoot to use it (ie, no running).

But yeah, volume of fire is your solution to a lonesome lord with obnoxious toys.

gr1m_dan
Shas

Post#15 » May 01 2010 10:29

Cheers for the advice guys.

I'm definitely thinking of getting a slightly more mech army (i.e get the FW squads in Vehicles - no way a LD test can be taken then surely?) I think this is a toy/unit he will use for a long time because it is VERY annoying and VERY effective against my army (I don't use Shadowsun).
The Shadow that strikes, he that walks unseen

Huru MorDae
Shas

Post#16 » May 02 2010 01:31

Its very effective against most armys which do not have a consistent Ld 10 across the board. My first time I played against one I lost my Aun right off the bat who ran off the table, I then failed EVERY Ld test and ran all my units off the board. That day I bought 4 Devilfish to compensate. Then again that was back when I only had like 3 fireknive suits running and was still a new person.
Manta spam, its the future.
The Tau on The Attack
Manta

djhg
Shas

Post#17 » May 03 2010 11:01

gr1m_dan wrote:i.e get the FW squads in Vehicles - no way a LD test can be taken then surely?)

There are a few things in the game that can force Ld tests while you're embarked in a vehicle.
Thankfully they're few and far between.

I'd have to read the precise wording of the Nightmare shroud to be certain, though it sounds like the NS makes units fall back if they fail a test. Which cannot happen in a vehicle as far as I am aware.
Knowledge is power... Use it well.

gr1m_dan
Shas

Post#18 » May 05 2010 01:06

I best get buying a couple more DF's then!

I can't believe how crazy some of his upgrades are, I mean, this thing can turboboost into your weak LD lines, take a round of firing (it has done too! T6 3+ save and 3W AND can get up again in the next round) and pretty much make your army run away!!!
The Shadow that strikes, he that walks unseen

Sherpa
Kor

Post#19 » May 05 2010 03:49

gr1m_dan wrote:I best get buying a couple more DF's then!

I can't believe how crazy some of his upgrades are, I mean, this thing can turboboost into your weak LD lines, take a round of firing (it has done too! T6 3+ save and 3W AND can get up again in the next round) and pretty much make your army run away!!!

It's a good thing the rest of the army is pretty slow then huh? The Lords are the pivotal part of a Necron army, as without him the crons are even slower than usual [no Veil] or less resilient than they should be [no Res Orb]. While the Nightmare Shroud can be annoying, it is easy for us to protect our scoring units by mounting them in Devilfish or Outflanking later with Kroot. The amount of Missile/Plasma we can pack in Elite and HQ slots can lay the smackdown on any of the Necron Infantry or Destroyers, and Warrior Squads are easily slowed down by suicidal Piranha or Kroot - making objective games against Necrons quite an easy task.

Oberon
Shas

Post#20 » May 05 2010 11:34

Argh just rechecked this thread and can't believe what an idiot I made of myelf. A necon with a Psychic power? Damn. The same goes for forgetting his toughness 6.

I'd agree with the above posters, delay his slower units and focus fire, preferably of the low-AP kind. Ionheads can work wonders here, and easily make more points back shooting Destroyers aftewards.

Return to “Archival Datacore”