1268 Point Battle Vs. Eldar

A review of past Alien Tactics by commanders during the First and Second Phase Expansion.
Cire Mont'yr
Fio

1268 Point Battle Vs. Eldar

Post#1 » Aug 09 2008 10:56

Hey guys, I need some major tactical help. Me and a friend are going to be playing a competitive game in 2 weeks. However, I've never actually played a full game of 40K, so I'm a bit of a new person in that regard. So, I need some tactical help to be able to atleast have a draw.

He apperently has 7 bright lances spread out through his army, mounted on 3 skimmers. I think he is going to field a fire prism also, and lots of gaurdians. He is deciding to leave me in the dark about his units, but I am going to guess that he will deploy striking scorpions and dark reapers. I only have 1 Long range anti-vehicle weapon, the railgun on my hammerhead. But, In the army I also have 3 fusion blasters, 2 sets of SMS, 2 Missile Pods, and plasma rifles. All rather close range, which may get me killed when I try to attack at close range, and from what I've heard about eldar vehicles, they JUST DON'T DIE!

Below is my list (I have no other models available really)

HQ
1 commander XV8 ( Shas’O , fusion blaster, plasma rifle counts as, Hard-wired multi tracker, vectored retro thrusters , stimulant injector) 132 pts.
Ethereal with honour blade(to join fire warrior unit), drone controller, 2 shield drones. 90 pts.
ELITES
2 XV8’s (shas’ui, plasma rifle, missile pod, multi-tracker) 124 pts.
1 XV8 shas’ui (plasma rifle, twin linked missile pod, Hard-wired multi-tracker) 73 pts.
5 Stealthsuits (1 target lock, team leader, 3 drone controllers. 2 Shield drones, 3 gun drones, fusion blaster, marker light) 237 pts.
TROOPS
8 Firewarriors (1 shas’ui + markerlight) with devilfish (SMS, disruption pod, Multi-tracker, target lock)231 pts.
15 kroot + shaper- 126 pts.
FAST ATTACK
1 piranha (fusion blaster, targeting array, disruption pod)75 pts.
HEAVY SUPPORT
1 hammerhead (railgun, SMS, disruption pod, multi-tracker, target lock) 180 pts.

Total: 1268 pts.

I am thinking of removing the fusion blaster on the Shas'O and replacing it with a missile pod. Basically I am going to try and use the hammerhead to take out the biggest threats, and once they are gone I will attempt to target his gaurdian squads. Meanwhile, the Firewarriors will zip around the battlefield and use the Fish of Fury tactic to disable lightly armored assault troops. Meanwhile, the one battlesuit team will attack the heavily armored troops like the dark reapers, while the other one will be a support unit (the Monat). Also, I will use the piranha to rush ahead and take out the skimmer with the twin-linked brightlance, although I'm thinking that the piranha will die easily. The stealthsuits will hopefully infiltrate and take out any lightly armored vehicles he has, then disrupt his troops from behind. Meanwhile, I will use the kroot alongside the Stealthteam to stop any melee units from attacking and tie them up in combat. The Shas'O will be another supporting unit, deploying alongside the firewarriors for extra fire support. The ethereal I'm thinking of removing from the list, because if he dies it will take a massive toll on the entire army. I will revise my tactics later, because they are rather basic at the moment and very unrefined. However, this is my first real battle and I need to begin to develop tactics. Can you guys provide any opinions? (Also, Please note that I can switch the weapons on the Shas'O and 2 man crisis team). Thanks

Kaiizen
Shas

Re: 1268 Point Battle Vs. Eldar

Post#2 » Aug 10 2008 01:32

Lets see if we can't stream line this list a little. Make it a little more eldar hatey.

Your HQ choices could be tweaked a bit. Vectored Retro Thrusters are not useful against eldar, Hit and Run is now an initiative check. Have you checked the initiative on eldar units? Even their standard guardians are I4 and it only gets better (or worse!) the more elite the unit is. Stim injectors are not really a great buy either. Put it this way, what is your Shas'o doing that an elite teamleader can't do cheaper? Does he really need to be protected that well? What is he doing that no one else can?If you can't think of something, chances are you could downgrade him to a shas'el with a target array and make him as cheap as possible. He'll do the same job and save you a ton of points.

The ethereal, the way I see it you're trying to take him as a close combat deterrent? The honor blade is not as effective as you think it might be, I would definitely drop that if not just drop the ethereal all together. What is the Ethereal doing that makes your list work? He's making your firewarriors fearless, but you only have one very small squad of firewarriors. There are only two units other than this that will benefit at all from the rerollable leadership at all (the rerollable leadership is the ONLY reason to take an ethereal) and that is the stealth team and the single unit of 2 XV8's. I really don't think that he is a worthwhile investment, especially due to the price of failure.

Now for the stealth team, you would greatly benefit from toning down the drones here. Shield drones are very broken in this edition, they do not work the way they should. They are also an expensive option to take in a stealth team because it's unlikely you'll get any use out of them at all. The best reason to take shield drones is for ablative wounds that soak up an instant death on a crisis suit. Now with your stealth team, instant death doesn't matter, you only have one wound anyway. The squad already has one of the best defenses in the game, the ability to not be shot at all! Keep them at a solid 21 inch range and they'll work wonders for you. As for the finer points, get rid of the fusion blaster, if you're within 12 inches to use it you're way to close, and it's just not worth risking for a single bs3 shot. Get rid of the target lock, without the fusion gun you won't need it anyway. If you make the drone controller Hard Wired you don't need to give the rest of your team support systems, hardwired and support systems are different codex entries. That will allow you to keep 2 of your gun drones, which are far cheaper and more effective ablative wounds than the shield drones (they are wounds that shoot back). Keep the markerlight though, it's a great investment if you can get more of them.

Troops... More more more. 2 squads of troops, even with one in a devilfish are going to get creamed without more support. a Single fish of only 8 firewarriors rapid firing on a squad is going to be so ineffective that your opponent might suffer a sudden fit of the 'giggles'. Especially since that squad probably won't exist anymore after your opponent is done shooting them. I would say that 3 squads of troops is mandatory for this points level.

If you know you're going to be fighting eldar you should also realize they don't have a single vehicle with an AV over 12, also, their transport vehicles cannot be hit with a weapon over str 8, any weapon over that mark goes right back down. That means the railguns are not necessarily the best choice here. They also have a piece of wargear that has you roll two dice on the damage table and pick the LOWEST this piece of wargear is available to all of their skimmers. This is why eldar vehicles are so resilient.

An eldar tanks worst enemy is missile pod spam. Fire enough shots and you're bound to do something. This is especially useful because of their ability to pick the lowest of two dice. Against Falcons and Fireprisms, the railgun is still useful due to the fact that you'll be adding 1 to the damage result, but Missile Pods will do a number on them as well.

So now that you've heard what I have to say what would I do? Gut your list of anything excess you don't think you absolutely need. If you decide to take my suggestions you'll end up with a staggering 170 extra points to play with. Thats another hammerhead or another squad of firewarriors with enough points left over to add more to the original squad and bond them both! You could even buy a full squad of firestorms with 20 points to spare. Trimming the fat a little is going to do you a world of good.

Taipan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: 1268 Point Battle Vs. Eldar

Post#3 » Aug 12 2008 03:06

It's an odd point level...if you can, I would try to bring it to 1,250 to make things even.
HQ
1 commander XV8 ( Shas’O , fusion blaster, plasma rifle counts as, Hard-wired multi tracker, vectored retro thrusters , stimulant injector) 132 pts.

For Eldar hunting, I would recommend the following build;

Shas'O, CIB, MP, SG, Stims, hw multi
(137 points)

You'll never reach melta range to kill their vehicles, they'll easily intercept and kill you. Hang back and stun/shake their stuff with the MP, and then close to rain death into their infantry. Except for WG, Avatar and Scorpions the Eldar lack 2+/3+ armour, so the PR is overkill. MP will cut through most of their armour types, and is better for breaking their Farseer's invul save for an instant-gib. The CIB owns their infantry and it's ion hits will cut through any heavier stuff you need to engage. SG prevents cheap bright-lance death, the Stims prevent death by Bladestorm.

Ethereal with honour blade(to join fire warrior unit), drone controller, 2 shield drones. 90 pts.

I don't really see the need for an Ethereal. Personal choice, but I would use those points for something else.

ELITES
2 XV8’s (shas’ui, plasma rifle, missile pod, multi-tracker) 124 pts.
1 XV8 shas’ui (plasma rifle, twin linked missile pod, Hard-wired multi-tracker) 73 pts.
5 Stealthsuits (1 target lock, team leader, 3 drone controllers. 2 Shield drones, 3 gun drones, fusion blaster, marker light) 237 pts.

Quantity over quality is the name of the game against Eldar infantry and vehicles. To this end, the Firestorm supplies cheap and plentiful firepower. As I said before, PR is overkill, and on regular suits you'll never get enough hits on target to justify the cost (BS3 sucks). So, using the same points (and using your points from the Ethereal);

(two teams of the following)
Tm L, BC, MP, MT, bk, 2 x shield drones
Shas'ui, BC, MP, MT
(140 points each)

With the Stealths, you really need to streamline them to do one thing well. Stealths against Eldar are great for counter-Infiltrating and hosing down their infantry with mass S5. You won't get close enough to fusion their vehicles, but adding a marker drone is a good idea. It can be used by the squad (hence if you don't have seekers it can still be of use), unlike the Team Leader markerlight.

Tm L, hw DC, 1 x marker drone
4 x Stealths, BC's
(185 points)

TROOPS
8 Firewarriors (1 shas’ui + markerlight) with devilfish (SMS, disruption pod, Multi-tracker, target lock)231 pts.
15 kroot + shaper- 126 pts.

With only 2 Troop units you are courting disaster. I woud even go as far as dropping the Stealths to get another mechanised team, and bump both up to 12-man (drop the markerlight and Shas'ui upgrade). Drop all the firepower upgrades, just take DL+DP for the 'Fish. It's an APC in 5th Edition, not the gunship of 4th.

With the Kroot, split them into 2 x 10-strong squads, and drop the Shaper completely. These guys are your tarpits for Wraithlords, your cheap scoring units, and general harassment.

(two of the following)
12 x FW's, Devilfish, DP, DL
(210 points each)

(two of the following)
10 x Kroot, rifles
(70 points each)
FAST ATTACK
1 piranha (fusion blaster, targeting array, disruption pod)75 pts.

Perfect.

HEAVY SUPPORT
1 hammerhead (railgun, SMS, disruption pod, multi-tracker, target lock) 180 pts.
[/quote]

You really need another Hammerhead, so you'll have enough mobile anti-tank to destroy his tanks. The XV8's can't really destroy their ultra-hard skimmers, you need the raw killyness of S10 AP1 to the face to take out a holo-Falcon. WS requires mass firepower, because of their 'you are only S8' front shield. So, I would consider dropping the Stealths and using the points for another Railhead here, as opposed to bulking up on infantry.

So, final list should be along these lines;

HQ:

Shas'O, CIB, MP, SG, Stims, hw multi
(137 points)

Elite:

(2) Tm L, BC, MP, MT, bk, 2 x shield drones
Shas'ui, BC, MP, MT
(140 points each)

Troops:

12 x FW's, Devilfish, DL, DP
(210 points)

(3) 10 x Kroot, rifles