Dark Eldar Tactica- the looming threat

A review of past Alien Tactics by commanders during the First and Second Phase Expansion.
BikesR'Fun
Por

Dark Eldar Tactica- the looming threat

Post#1 » Dec 02 2008 04:25

I played a battle last week with my Dark Eldar and wound up winning by quite a bit. My (slightly over competitive) friend (playing Tau) rightly got huffy and began to say that the DE are broken. I disagreed with him and, in response; he basically dared me to write a useful tactica for taking down Dark Eldar. I figured I would post it here just because Dark Eldar is one of those armies (for most people) that don’t show up often, but when it does it is no easy feat to take them down. Soon enough though, I figure with the new set of models released we are going to see a bunch more DE players, so we can always get started ahead of time!! I would also like any insight to make this better, so comments are welcome and appreciated.

So to begin:

Things you must have when playing against DE: RHs. Broadsides are going down against a DE army- count on it. While the ion cannon is tempting for help w/ taking out transports, str. 7 weaponry is much easier to get on a crisis suit. The blast template from the submunitions is incredible against warriors and wyches who are in or out of cover, not to mention grotesques, who are often used to screen against small arms fire. Gundrones- not only are these guys incredibly annoying when they screen FW from assault, but they have the added advantage of being able to pin whatever gets thrown at you. This is especially useful against Hellions (who don't show VERY often, but some players [me] like them because they're so darn cool.) Deathrain: These are ideal for taking out light vehicles. I would suggest giving them TA's, but that's just from experience. Stealthsuits: These are great for outflanking raiders and generally being a royal pain in the DE backside. DF: I always fully mechanize my armies, but it's particularly necessary against DE. While the DE have good AT weapons, but they don't convey their extra benefit against Tau vehicles because they are most efficient at fighting armor values>12. The coversaves from DPs are invaluable.

Army Organization:

WWP:(WebWay Portal) This is more of a tool than an overall army organization. It is used to get assault troops into CC as quickly as possible. This is mostly used with Wych armies, but I've had some success using it as an effective screening device for assault troops by placing it on the frontline and dropping it only when it is threatened/ assault troops are getting too close, letting the CC element of the otherwise shooty DE army be placed directly in h2h. For more CC armies, it can be either transported on a raider or (more commonly) placed on a deepstriking unit of hellions/scourges and then opened upon landing (more specifically the turn after landing.) The second version is only really defeatable by a determined general who can put fire on all of these areas (Scourges are one of the squishiest expensive units in the game.) Note though that the Scourges will be able to fire their Splinter Cannons on landing- so I would suggest using tanks or crisis suits for this task. In the second scenario- it's pretty simple to counter- just get one DR Crisis team into LOS and unload missiles on it. In the case they use raiders to screen, simply focus more fire. Even FWs have a decent chance of getting at least one penetrating roll on the open-topped raiders (not pretty.) Even a minimum raider squad costs 95 points, they won't be able to get enough to screen them for quite long enough. If the WWP is opened too close to you, all is not lost- just relocate. The Tau are excellent at this.

Wych: This army is no doubt nasty- but they ARE counterable, contrary to popular belief. With the removal of CC consolodation, your troops are safer than ever in 5th. While I wouldn't suggest having kroot block wych assaults, gundrone screens are helpful to aid in FoF attacks. With 6+ armor saves, pulse fire rips through these soldiers. Even at range, 12 FW will end up killing 4 wyches, enough to force a morale check unless they are 20 strong. Pinning is also one of the DE's worst nightmares, so a pair of small gundrone teams assisted by some markerlight nastiness will never be good news. Dealing with raiders is just like dealing with any other sort of light, fast vehicle. DR are the way to go.

Nightshield warriors: Tau have an incredibly easy time against these types of armies, so long as they know what they're doing. To those who don't know, nightshield means that you have to see 6" further than the unit actually is to take them down. This army is based on DL (Dark Lance) spam. Luckily for us, our Deathrains have an effective range of 42", just right for taking out a raider/ravager hovering at max range. Keeping your DR in cover is helpful though, just so that they don't get mowed down by a barrage of str 8 fire. Just for some math- on a 4+, the DR will get a penetrating hit, if the unit moved flat out, which is likely if the DE player got first turn, they will also get a 4+ cover save. This means that a full team of DR (assuming they have TA) will get ~ 1.2 penetrating hits, which on a 2+ will destroy it (+1 for the open-topped and immobilized result counts as a crash) This means that the transport will likely go down. You shouldn't take any FBs against DE ever- they are FAR more than overkill, and you have to get WAY too close to use them.

Unit Evaluation:
Red: HQ
Green: Elites
Purple: Troops
Blue: Fast Attack
Orange: Heavy Support

Dracon/Archon (as well as the Wych Variants): CC beasts. These guys are really tough when they are outfitted correctly. Usually though, the real strength comes from the retinue, which will either be Incubi, Warriors, or wyches. The smart DE player will know that Incubi are overkill against Tau, so they will likely take simple warriors or wyches. With a shadowfield, the only real way to take out this unit is by shooting his/her raider out from below him, and kill enough warriors to force a morale test. The fact is though, that this unit is VERY expensive, and can stretch up into the hundreds of points. Once the shadowfield fails, this character is way too squishy for it to be any use.

Incubii: Not really an HQ choice, but deserve a seperate mention- w/ Marine armor save, these guys are hard to take down, and with a well equipped archon, are deadly. The only issue is that they will slow the archon down. In the case he does take an Incubi retinue, he will take a raider as well- shoot out the raider and he will be slowed considerably (no FOF)

Haemonculus: These guys are horrible to face. The worst version that I see are the destructor-on-jetbike kind. Usually stuck with other jetbikes equipped with shredders, they go hunting infantry- with the potentially high AP flamer, crisis suits are the main target for these guys. Taking down Haemonculi used in this fashion is just like taking down any other bike, but I will repeat- Deathrain, Deathrain, Deathrain.

Wyches*: These are cheap CC units that are horrific to take on...with other cc units. Frankly, our warriors aren't good enough at CC to be effected by wych weapons, so anything they fight will likely be overmatched- this is when drone screens come into handy- as it affords you a 40 point squad that gives you one more turn of RF pulse shots that could send these crazy space women running. *they count as troops in Wych Cults

Warpbeasts: I have yet to see someone use these outside of a WWP army. What you need to know is- TAKE OUT THE WWP CARRIER. Some stats though- they are incredibly fast fleet of foot cavalry that have high numbers of attacks on the charge. Counter them just like you would wyches with the 12" charge drug.

Mandrakes: I can't really offer any advice to use against these troops as they have battle-specific purposes that are mostly related to their special deployment, but some common uses are: scare tactics, contesting objectives in cover, being threatening to multiple squads/ objectives and soaking up fire. Mostly, these guys are obnoxious. Use blast weapons to ignore their high cover saves, but generally, it is pretty safe to leave these guys be as they have no real range to speak of.

Grotesques: These aren't as useful as they used to be- they have FNP, but it is up to debate as to whether or not the rule written in the codex applies or the one in the rulebook. Either way- submunitions take out these squads in a heartbeat. I doubt that you'll be seeing them anymore though since the removal of priority checks.

Warriors on Foot*: Hardly anyone uses these, but they can be used in the form of unmounted-sniper squads: essentially cheap squads with 2 DLs. These squads are annoying because they have access to heavy weapons at incredibly cheap prices. Stay out of their LOS/range and they won't be able to do much. *count as elites in a Wych Cult

Mounted Warriors
*: These are similarly used, but have the added bonus of a raider to take them to forward cover. Some people use these squads to screen the wych and archon raiders, and you should deal with them in the way I described above. *count as elites in Wych cult

Hellions: People don't like hellions. Personally, I think they're awesome, but most competitive lists won't have them. They are jump infantry with power weapons

Jetbikes: This is one of the hallmarks of a DE army- but frankly they don't get much use other than screening the raiders. They can be used in an AT role though- but as soon as this units stops turboboosting, it becomes much more vulnerable to fire. I personally use them with Haemonculi, but that is rarer post-3rd edition. I just like the image of a crazed scientist running around with his acid gun.

Scourges: Very squishy shooting unit- I don't like them myself, but they do have deepstrike and are jump infantry. They end up being fairly expensive though, and usually are one-hit wonders. Massed FW shots will take down a scourge unit fairly easily.

Ravager: These guys are hell to face. Disintegrators will be the bane of Crisis suits and Dark Lances will be useful anti tank weapons. The only thing is- they have bad armor- better than Raiders, but still bad. I would actually suggest solid shot railguns in this case, as they won't run the risk of NOT killing the Ravager and getting fired back on- this is the only DE unit you should NOT keep at arms length.

Talos: Slow, but monstrous in CC. You likely won't have to worry about them though- they have variable amounts of attacks and are WAY overkill on everything in the army. If the DE player does take one, it will likely be in a WWP and likely used for distraction purposes (no one likes giant angry scorpions.) This probably won't show up, but the only thing you would likely have to deal with is the Talos sting. It's a bolter with assault 6, but it targets one shot to one model at a time, starting with the closest and moving further away. If the talos is this close to your army, move it- scorpion boy is overkill, not useless.

Some basic dos and don'ts

Do:
Take first turn if you have the chance- getting to fire on the army before it has moved is REALLY bad for raiders/ravagers/jetbikes.
Target transports first, others later
Use lots of gundrone screens
Kill the WWP carrier at all costs

Don't:
Hide your army in cover you can't see out of/through: I say this because it gives the DE an edge that they really don't need. I'll explain later when I get to tactics.
Forget about the WWP (I will drill this forever)
Use an excess of slow troops.

Now to tactics- there are a few common ones that DE will use (I named them, they may have other names.)
The Flank: this is pretty obvious to see, and will likely be the tactic used against you as a Tau player. This allows the DE to concentrate on a small portion of the army and overwhelm it.
The Death From Behind: This is a reactionary tactic that is used when someone hides their slow units in cover- DS a unit of scourges or hellions and deploy the WWP in a place where the enemy can't shoot you without risking DL barrages. This will happen if you put too many of your units in cover in your deployment phase.
The Switcheroo- This is when a DE player runs a flank assault and then uses his transports to dump infantry on the other side of the flank he was originally running. This is used against armies like eldar who have specialized assault troops- as it simply jumps over them and goes right to their juicy/easy ranged units. Since our entire army is made up of juicy ranged units, this is not likely going to happen to us.
The atypical- This is when a DE player just spams warriors. Usually this is the tactic of a less experienced DE general- just pick them apart with Submunitions.
The most evil tactic in the world- Basically give the WWP to the Archon with an Incubi retinue in a DSing Raider. This creates a dilemma: if you shoot down the raider, the Archon will open up the WWP, and all hell will break loose, or you can ignore the raider and let the Archon and his evil retinue attack you in CC. This is very bad, and only the most obnoxious DE players will do this, but there is a counter- gun drone screens. So long as they're not so close as to be able to assault you turn one, you're golden. If they try to dismount, shoot up the squad. The Archon will be auto-killed by anything str. 6 and up, and he can't take a shadowfield with his WWP, so the submunition can essentially waste the 125+ point model (more if he gave him ideal options.)
The suicide- A whole bunch of raider teams in a cluster dive into the center of your army and dismount, the center one carrying a webway portal. You can see where this goes. A submunition, however, is no fun for those tightly packed raiders.
The Two-flank- this is a possible prevention technique if you do get first turn. Basically- he'll run BOTH flanks in the hope that you won't be able to reach both. The easiest way to counter this is to focus your railhead fire on the far side and the MP fire on the closer one.

What to realize w/ 5th Edition:

Dark Eldar, like Tau, are not meant for standing on top of objectives. This means they will likely run an agressive game on your objectives, with a small unit to jump out and cover his own. The best thing you can do is focus on having a unit to capture HIS objective. Play to the fluff of the Tau here- backing off of an objective is fine, their units won't want to hold them either, as they will be chewed up far worse than even Tau would. I've seen some DE players put a WWP on an objective too, so that reinforcements keep units away- this is a good idea, but it's expensive and the Dark Eldar Player needs those units in CC rather than defending objectives. Be careful though towards the endgame- make sure there aren't any raiders lurking 24" away, just waiting to pounce.

Dawn of War is good for WWP armies as it opens up a whole new avenue: One troop squad drops this baby on turn one at the halfway line and they've done their job and then some- they didn't even have to waste raiders in a skimmer screen. In fact, in cases where more than one WWP is being used, this is especially dangerous, as it allows for multiple points of access. The best thing you can do is try to get first turn and then use your commanders weapons to take out the WWP, or in the case of 2, one of the two. The other should be shot at with firewarriors or Kroot. If you don't, look for the open areas where he can't reach you in assault, and remember where they are. If you are smart, you stand a chance.

The other deployments are cool but not necessarily important- just follow the guidelines and you should have a shot- while Dark Eldar are an unforgiving army to play as, in the right hands, they are the best for manipulating enemy mistakes.
This is just my take on the DE. Anyone else should feel free to add or disagree, although knowing y’all, that’s likely going to happen.
Get some victories for the greater good, and I hope this helps.
Last edited by BikesR'Fun on Dec 02 2008 11:14, edited 2 times in total.

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Dark Eldar Tactica- the looming threat

Post#2 » Dec 02 2008 07:49

Grotesques: These aren't as useful as they used to be- they have FNP, but it is up to debate as to whether or not the rule written in the codex applies or the one in the rulebook.

The DE FAQ on the GW site mentions that the FNP for Grotesques should be played as written in the Codex, not the rulebook. ;)
I happen to be starting up a DE army so what you have here is certainly an interesting and valid read (as far as I can tell)
Ka'ash Sept

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#3 » Dec 02 2008 12:17

Moved to Tactica forum.

Good work, BikesR'Fun. Thank you for your efforts on this.

E.

djhg
Shas

Post#4 » Dec 02 2008 04:24

This is... Excellent!

I've really been suffering horribly at the hands of Dave, our resident DE player.
The man is just pure evil when he's using them space pirates.

I think this tactica might just be the guiding light I need to wipe that smug look off his face :D
For a webway portal, what do you have to do to interrupt it's activation?
I realise shooting the squad dead is a great idea, but short of that, could we send a sacrificial squad into an assault to break the portal activation?

EDIT: Spelling
Last edited by djhg on Dec 03 2008 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge is power... Use it well.

kabelguy
Shas

Post#5 » Dec 02 2008 04:52

i am an avid Tau player who started a DE army last winter. I am playing against an ork player tomorrow. any advice. I was going to throw 5 raider squads, 1 archon+ retinue in raider, and 1 wyche squad in a raider. I was going to swap out all the dark lances for disintegrators to get a Assault 3 shot at him. Any advice on tactics and war gear would be apprciated

BikesR'Fun
Por

Post#6 » Dec 02 2008 11:05

djhg: I'm not sure on that one to be honest- when I've used WWP's, they've been far enough away as to avoid a brutal counter-assault.

Intuition says that they can't open the portals while in CC. They can't be opened on the turn a unit deepstrikes, so my guess is that this could be used to argue that they can't open them while in CC. To paraphrase the rule, they open these instead of moving or shooting, but this doesn't mention anything about assault or being in CC. The only way to really take out a WWP squad is focused fire- hopefully enough to cause them to fall back. Even in the case that you do manage to assault a Webway portal, the likelihood of being able to kill them/disrupt them is pretty minute. Dark Eldar have almost universal fleet of foot, which means the smart Dark Eldar player will keep his portal squads at least 13" away from any unit that could be used to assault. The only thing I could see is if the player has not brought in his non-jetpack/jetbike/raider squads, you could surround the WWP, essentially rendering it useless, but players will be on the lookout for this and won't deploy near anything that could cause that scenario. The best way to counter this is pretty much lots of devilfish mounted FWs. While they can't fish of fury as such, they are able to keep the firewarriors safe from assault. Most people don't realize that the only Anti-Tank threat that a Dark Eldar player has is mounted on his "paper plane" transports (me and my other DE player call them this because they get shot down so fast) Jetbikes, and Ravagers. Both ravagers and raiders go down even to small arms fire, so you actually have a pretty fair chance of knocking them out of the sky. No matter what GW says, this new edition was a huge issue for DE, as they RELIED on that extra save while shooting.

kabelguy: I would suggest that you don't get rid of ALL of the dark lances. Str. 8 is useful for insta-killing T 4 models with multiple wounds. I would also suggest using the blast version of the weapon simply because it is longer ranged. Assault 3 is nice, but it's mostly designed to be a pain vs. Marines. Remember that Dark Eldar like good odds- even if it seems like you're overkilling units, that's what you want. I would use either the refused flank, or if he deploys in a way to counter this, use the 'fake' deployment and just switch the flank you're running, you'll likely still be able to destroy one flank.

Whatever you do- don't let the orks shoot down the raider with the wyches. That will end poorly for you.

Use the raider squads like sniper teams- fire, then relocate- it will drive the Ork players nuts. Especially if you can keep them in cover. I'd also advise you take splinter cannons on the Warrior squads. The raider squads are cheap as dirt (as you probably know) but they are the best unit to use for feints.

As for the Archon.... unless you're using him against heavily armored targets, don't take the otherwise standard agonizer. But DO take a shadowfield and DO take combat drugs. It is a must for a dark eldar HQ. His squad will slow him down (if they're incubi as I suspect, they do not have fleet of foot, ), so keep him on the raider until the very last second. If you do take the warrior retinue (it does have a few uses) then don't let him get into CC with anything out of their league- remember, you can still fall back even if your commander is kicking butt. Not to underestimate the warriors, their initiative will pull you out of more than one rough spot.

E: Thanks!

kabelguy
Shas

Post#7 » Dec 03 2008 08:19

Thanks for the advice. I have never used my DE's before. I read on a DE web site that I should use the Double Flank attack (two pronged up the sides) - which usually allows most armies to use both flanks to shoot your DE's down. Will this be a decent strategy against orks which are short ranged?

So should I be using my raider squads like Fish Of Fury FW squads? Move - disembark - shoot - mount up and leave..... ?

I am also having trouble deciding between Scythe (used like flechette dischargers) or Slave Nets (overrun for 1d6 hits) or Terror Amps (to tank shock the orks) or scaling nets (to dismount fartehr away from the orks yet still move the raider in further to block potential assault moves.) - any thoughts here?

kabelguy
Shas

Post#8 » Dec 03 2008 08:58

one more question - I only have the 1st edition codex. Is it significantly different from 2nd ed codex?

Am I correct to assume that the raider - open topped fast skimmer - can go flat out 24" and then disgorge the warriors and they can then assault 6" into my enemy? If so that seems pretty sweet....

I see no limitations against this tactic in the rule book.

BikesR'Fun
Por

Post#9 » Dec 03 2008 01:19

First off- you NEED the version 2 codex.
it has the rules for Wych cult and all the vehicle upgrades, not to mention a bunch of added wargear. They also changed the rules for the wych weapons, and changed the cost of wyches, ditto with Reaver Jetbikes and Hellions. If you read all of the rule updates they released a couple of years ago then you should be fine, but I would suggest you do get it.

Secondly- no you can't do that with your raiders. I'm pretty sure you can't dismount if you go over 12".

And don't think of it like fish of fury- your raiders are going to die if you use them as shields.
Your splinter cannons have 24" range, so use the scaling nets on the raider to jump out into cover and then move the raider to safety.

Don't take the Terror amps, Orks are almost always fearless unless you can reduce their humongous squads to less than 10 infantry.

Scythes could be useful, but only on the wych raider.

Slave nets you'll have to try out. They work well for my Wych army when I'm fighting the not-so-fearless Tau or Eldar (or even other Dark Eldar that are sad enough to be mounted on foot.)

And don't forget- your warriors will hold their own against a horde of Orks, they have VERY high Initiative while the orks have a low one. You can even equip your Syrabite with good cc choices (not an agoniser probably, but poisoned blades might be nice if you are willing to give up attacks.) Just don't let them fight those battles solo, and DON'T try to kill Nobs w/ them. Normally I'd suggest Warpbeasts coupled with a WWP against orks, but it's up to you.

Look at your opponents orks before you do the double flank. I've seen it work, but if he's prepared... it can end badly. Orks have guns, just like tyranids have guns, and they're not as CC oriented as a lot of people make them out to be.

My biggest piece of advice- know what HIS army does beforehand, as it should guide you.

kabelguy
Shas

Post#10 » Dec 03 2008 03:52

To Bikes: Thanks for all the advice. I need it. As this is my first battle with DE vs Orks I am probably going to stick to the denied flank and also set up one or 2 warrior fire bases at 24" from the orks.

From Bikes: "Secondly- no you can't do that with your raiders. I'm pretty sure you can't dismount if you go over 12"."

I mean no disrespect but I disagree. That used to be a 4th ed rule. I did some poking around the 5th ed rules. No where that I am aware of says that you cannot disembark after moving your vehicle over 12". Under disembarking pg 67 it says that a unit can disembark after the vehicle has moved but CANNOT ASSAULT; under the open topped section page 70 it says you can go within 2" of any point on the hull AND YOU CAN ASSAULT after the vehicle moves. under fast vehicles it says you can go flat out at 18" page 70; and skimmer section page 71 says you can flat out at 24". Where does it say (page # please?) that one cannot deismbark out of a vehicle if it moves over 12" ??? I welcome anyone to correct any oversight I have made but according to those passages I cite above I should be able to move 24" flat out in my open topped fast skimmer and be able to disembark after their move and then Assault after during the assault phase. I have only read 5th a couple times so I welcome someone to find some hard evidence to correct me. Maybe if we could get Eigelpulper - his rules-fu is much better than mine ??? what other armies have open topped fast vehicles or skimmers that we could reference?

2nd Ed codex - I have 1st ed only - doesnt seem to be worth it since the army is getting a revamp next year. I have armybuilder and a couple of of files on the vehicle updates. I think i can manage but I do want to get an official copy of the 2nd ed codex. A friend of mine has it so i might just borrow it from him.

BikesR'Fun
Por

Post#11 » Dec 03 2008 04:54

You may be right.

In all honesty, I'll forward you to Tau Online- as they have the best tactica I've seen for Dark Eldar. http://www.tauonline.org/Article/276/DarkEldarTactica/

I'd advise anyone unfamiliar with them to take a look as well. It expounds on Wych tank busting squads and standard sniper squads, wheras my tactica is mostly on Wych cults.

BikesR'Fun
Por

Post#12 » Dec 03 2008 04:56

also- I'd like to add that Grotesques can be a pain if they get into cc with your troops, but otherwise pose less of a threat than Wych squads or WWP users.

Gniknok
Shas

Post#13 » Dec 03 2008 05:35

I welcome anyone to correct any oversight I have made but according to those passages I cite above I should be able to move 24" flat out in my open topped fast skimmer and be able to disembark after their move and then Assault after during the assault phase.

No. You cannot ever disembark any models from a transport that has or will move 'flat out' in that turn. pg. 70, under the heading 'fast transport vehicles'.

BikesR'Fun
Por

Post#14 » Dec 03 2008 07:06

Thanks Gniknok, I don't have my rulebook handy, so I didn't want to make any rule clarifications without definite backup.

If it's any consolation, you can still assault pretty darn far- 12" raider move plus 2" disembark move plus 6" move (can't recall right now if you can move after disembarking) 6" (potential) fleet of foot plus 6" assault gives you a charge that can be as long as 32"! (27-32" is the actual range w/ movement and 21-26" w/o). Raiders able to move 24" and disembark troops would make the Dark Eldar way broken (assault almost as far as a Lascannon!!?).

Good luck with Orks, they are one of the tougher armies (along with Tyranids) for Dark Eldar to beat (those hordes are a pain in the butt.)

Soji
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#15 » Dec 04 2008 09:34

Can't move after disembarking. That's 12" raider move + 3" disembarking + 1"-6" fleet + 6" assault, for a total of 22"-27" threat radius.

(you need to keepthe back of your base 2" from the vehicle you're disembarking from, and the front of the base is 1" from the back, so front of the vehicle to front of the dark eldar, it's 3")
55/1/0

Soji, as always at your service

kabelguy
Shas

Post#16 » Dec 04 2008 02:33

thanks guys

we found the rule (finally) about the flat out moving transports prohibiting embarking or disembarking.

I lost 5-7 to a very saavy ork player. he brought 4 thrityy ork mobs and a total of 170 models to our 2000pt game. he never really spreadout. i never really took advantage of my mobility. i forgot to somehow mount my archon in a raider so he and his retinue were pretty useless until the big boss and nob on bikes charged him and his retinue and he took them out.

I love splinter cannons, disintegrators.

I forgot to shott my dark lances at his tank most of the game and his pie plates wreaked havok

anyway, thanks for all the help. I am gonna play this guy again in a couple weeks and try to redeem myself.

any advice on how to deal with 30ork mobs with 3 attacks each? even when i charge them and go first they still have 20 orks leeft X 3 attacks = 60 dice in HTH. those orks are crazy! he brought a very shootie army. he's throwing around 50 dice at a time = even hitting on 5's he tore me up. Should I play hit and run around the edges of what?

I think I should have did a two flank move and spent the 1st 2 turns flat out. set up was opposite corners game of annihilation. if i did this I would have suffered a lot of casualties on turn 1 but by turn three i would be forcing him to split his forces and then i would attmept to consolidate....

BikesR'Fun
Por

Post#17 » Dec 08 2008 01:43

yeah- didn't have the rulebook to clarify- but still, it's a pretty long range for assaulting.

Take Warpbeasts, they've been the best thing I've used against Orks.

BikesR'Fun
Por

Post#18 » Dec 08 2008 01:52

Also- with orks it is the most important to concentrate your forces and wipe out squads- and don't forget to shoot your DL's!!!! that's REALLY important. Also, your warriors DO shoot, but they can also help wych squads in CC.

Go to that site I posted though- it has some seriously good suggestions for you.

Return to “Archival Datacore”