ok, since im now dividing my original post, now locked, into 2, this is the other half
i know there are heaps of other posts around on this, but i want to put forward a few radical (or completely obvious, depends eh
) theories on how to fight Necrontyr.
now, a few quick points
people seem to treat necrons in two ways
1: They are marines, with some nasty specialist units and a big bastard of a tower which can spout heaps of death out to 12". Oh and they have crazy gods, but in all other respects, they are pretty much SM a la undead.
2: Oh *BAD WORD DELETED* me, run run run while you can, nobody can beat them, just forefeit the game
basically, i don't agree with either of these
my analysis of necrons is as follows.
1. There are 2 ways they can get units into your face, VoD and Monolith. However, WBB and the "roll a 6 to hit/wound you are *BAD WORD DELETED*" is grossly overrated
2. They have nasty fast attack, but useless elites (basically, point for point, and tactically, immortals lose compared to destroyers. Same goes for pariahs. Flayed ones are the only dangerous ones, and they have no gun
3. C'Tan are the biggest point sink. Nobody even tries to kill them, so if your Necron opponent brings the Nightbringer, laugh: you will be able to cause phase out a lot faster. If they bring the Deciever
you are slightly screwed, but the "i get to move one unit 12" further than normal" is a bonus for our skimmers (due to the rules for decoys etc
) and for troops, against necrons all troops barring Kroot are easily expendable. The main concern with the Deciever is that it will move crisis and HQ around. Annoying, but if you put shield drones on the Tm L, you'll have a chance (necron flayers are only S4 AP5, and out of 20 shots only 2-3 will roll a 6. Saved by the drones, this equates to 2 dead drones and maybe a wound on one of the Shas'ui. Big whoop, he's now in rapid fire range for plasma and for fusion shots
4. Monolith is overrated, outside of 12" so long as everything moves it can't do much. Put railgun into it, ignore it otherwise
5. Kill all destroyers!
6. Ignore Tomb Spyders, except with rail (if it can be spared)
7. Kill the Lord! Always dedicate railguns to the task, you'll be thankful you killed the Lord later (with Res. Orb and VoD
well, i'll make this more coherent (or less crack induced, one of the two
) later, gotta jet