Eldar Inches - Tau distress signal

A review of past Alien Tactics by commanders during the First and Second Phase Expansion.
Ryzouken
Shas

Post#19 » Sep 08 2006 03:38

when playing a CC army, a player is usually relying heavily on one premise: Speed Kills. If it doesn't move twelve inches it's not fast enough and if it can't potentially assault 24 it's not good. The key (and objective) is to make it to CC with as many guys as possible and steamroll the other guy with sheer numbers. It's why the biggest CC armies are also horde armies: Tyranids and Orks.

So when you're trying to cover the most terrain possible in the shortest time it's natural to feel a twinge of "Can I fudge an inch?" It's why I don't lend anyone anything I care about. Humans while not inherently evil, are inherently possessed of the capacity to perform evil. But now I'm waxing philosophical.

And while the dice data is interesting, I am curious as to whether its an isolated event or not. More situation where this has occurred would be requisite as well as a serious scientific test to determine if there is a dice bias based on a molding error. In short, while the evidence presented does raise interesting questions, it is in no way definitive not quantitative and as a result, can not have decisions derived from it. However, it is a nice hypothesis.

"If a GW die weighs less than another GW die of like manufacture, then there may be a flaw in the moulding resulting in a bias in the average resulting die roll."

Prove the hypothesis, then prove the theory. The Dragon Compendium (D&D book) has a pretty decent if in depth method for determining dice bias.

PsychoUltramarine
Shas

Post#20 » Sep 08 2006 06:52

don't knock the in-store dice, my KoS tankbustas have had a lotta luck with their rockets cos of store dice (dead=countless rhinos/chimeras and similar, 3 dreads, 1 venerable, 2 landraiders. immobolised=a monolith, and lotsa other stuff, all from the back of their adimantium trukk, i've only ever failed 2 armor plates <6+> saves)

Ryzouken
Shas

Post#21 » Sep 08 2006 08:47

Thus the validity of my previous post. While one individual may have had bad resuls with a set of GW dice, another has had phenomenal success. Ergo, I question as to whether this was an isolated event or if there is a trend to be considered.

So we need to make a new dice thread where people can give data regarding their experiences with GW dice and then we can start analysis.

In the meantime, I find it funny that we've been referring the phenomenon of overmeasuring as "Eldar Inches." Has Eldar become synonymous with overpowered or outright cheating where 40k players are concerned? I don't mind, it's just that this mentality very closely approximates the feelings I've had about Eldar that I doubted other people had.

Mipstar
Shas

Post#22 » Sep 08 2006 05:07

Maybe "in your neighborhood" eldar players being cheaters is also an incident? I only know two very VERY easy going eldar players who will give you the benefit of the doubt any time.

Or maybe it's just pure luck to have them as one of my regular opponents ;)

Ryzouken
Shas

Post#23 » Sep 08 2006 06:10

I had previously assumed that was the case. That it was merely the individuals in my area that were cheating you know whats that have to win at all costs and happen to be playing exclusively Eldar. This is why I am surprised at evidence of other incidents where Eldar players have cheated and the like.

Now I've got further vindication to believe the Eldar codex desperately needs the nerf bat taken to it.

Protonic
Shas

Post#24 » Sep 08 2006 08:58

Ryzouken wrote:Thus the validity of my previous post. While one individual may have had bad resuls with a set of GW dice, another has had phenomenal success. Ergo, I question as to whether this was an isolated event or if there is a trend to be considered.

So we need to make a new dice thread where people can give data regarding their experiences with GW dice and then we can start analysis.

In the meantime, I find it funny that we've been referring the phenomenon of overmeasuring as "Eldar Inches." Has Eldar become synonymous with overpowered or outright cheating where 40k players are concerned? I don't mind, it's just that this mentality very closely approximates the feelings I've had about Eldar that I doubted other people had.

I went and dropped the dice into a glass of water. Assuming that there are no air bubbles inside the dice, they should sink straight down if they are dropped straight down. My bad dice spin around as if they are loaded, usually a corner touching the one side attempts to rise to the surface.

I have also found good dice, that are baised in my favour. They get 4s, 5s, and 6s 3/5 of the time.

I found the term eldar inches on the warseer forums. Almost everyone called it eldar inches. Not because eldar are cheap / cheats, but because everyone's eldar friends was moving 1-2" more than they should have been.

Return to “Archival Datacore”