New Eldar

A review of past Alien Tactics by commanders during the First and Second Phase Expansion.
TauFighter
Shas

New Eldar

Post#1 » Oct 19 2006 05:15

The new Eldar codex is due out soon and it can't have escaped many peoples notice that they have a lot of shiny new toys to confound us with, along with the return of Harlequins (ahh! Death Jesters return!)

What do we know at the moment? What tactics have people been thinking about for when they hit us?

Am very concerned as to the new "Serpent of Fury" which is going, I'm afraid, to put our Fishes to shame. 10 Dire Avengers will be able to use their Shuriken Storm to leap out and send 30 shots out! 30! :eek:

They also are now officially better shots than us. Their commander gets BS6. :sad:

Thoughts?

White Knight
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#2 » Oct 19 2006 05:25

How is BS6 different from BS5? A 1 always misses!
Firestorm - Shoot lots and watch what drops...

Soji
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#3 » Oct 19 2006 06:30

What ? 30 shots ? How ?
It's official, the Serpent can now move 24 inches, is not destroyed when immobilised, roll to dices when damaged and take the lowest, is never stunned, and count S9+ weapons as S8. Ho, and they can transport 12 people now. Maybe they should have allowed the troops to assault out of it, just to make things perfects ...

Apart from that, I've seen the Eldar codex and nothing strike me as different. What changed ?

PS : the Harlequins kiss are now way weaker, since they are only rending. Yay !
55/1/0

Soji, as always at your service

Chronon
Shas

Post#4 » Oct 19 2006 07:50

Soji, the Dire Avenger Exarch can take a skill called "Shuriken Storm" (or something similar) that will allow the squad an extra shot in one round, at the expense of not being able to shoot at all in the next round. So, ten Avengers disembarking from a Serpent may have 30+ shots (depending on the Exarch configuration, there is one in which he four shots).

For me, I think the 18" range is actually going to be more important than the option of having 30+ shots. It will be much easier to arrange a "drive by" attack than it used to be. I'm looking forward to the new Avengers - I've never been a big fan of the Guardians - and I'll probably be fielding two squads of ten in Serpents in games 1500 points and over.

From the Tau perspective, I think foot-slogging Harlequins may not be that hard to deal with - a command suit with an AFP and the usual complement of SMS vehicles should provide enough indirect fire weapons to overcome their Veil of Tears defense. Six Harlies in a Falcon may prove much more difficult, though. Missile pods, more missile pods, and an IonHead or two would certainly help.

Soji
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 19 2006 08:04

Tau main weakness in hth is no power weapon. They don't have armor. As a matter of fact, a unit of Stealth with PG could very well chew a charging unit of Harlequin.
55/1/0

JGrimm
Shas

Post#6 » Oct 19 2006 08:27

You know what's funny, though -

THe pure survivability of eldar tanks actually makes it possible to do the Eldar equivalent of the rhino rush. 24" move in the first tun, practically undroppable thereafter, disembark assault troops and tear something apart...

It's interesting and very tempting.
-Az/JGrimm

P'Shar's Rifles
Kor'O
Kor'O

Post#7 » Oct 19 2006 08:30

Darn the space pixies, darn them all to HECK!

I've always thought they should kick a bit more butt, though. Ancient, powerful race and all that.

El'Iey'Asu
Shas

Post#8 » Oct 20 2006 12:19

Don't worry I think you guys can find a mathematical anomaly to drop them into. :)

Nice avatar, TauFighter
Last edited by El'Iey'Asu on Oct 20 2006 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

theodorus
Shas

Post#9 » Oct 20 2006 12:24

obviously depends on cost?

land raiders theoretically make pretty good transports, but try to fit 3 of them in your army.

Shas_el Rigel
Shas

Post#10 » Oct 20 2006 03:19

New Eldar are going to be sooo ugly!

Main things I'm worried about:
immune to FB, 3+/4+ saves, high T, and more hth attacks than you can shake a stick at (these guys will take a bit of effort to kill)!
War walkers:
dunno how much has changed but they're relatively cheap and can put out a lot of high strength shots (lots'a saves for me to fail).
Harlies:
actually not so concerned now that Chronon made his point about sms. Still, they're fast, have plasma grenades, a termie invulnerable save and have the potential to cause lots rending (bit of a glass cannon unit).
My personal favorite, Swooping Hawks:
The return of skyleap, so lots of pie-plates dropping (not just one per game). Haywire grenades come standard apparently, and the exarch has an ability to make the squad hit vehicles on +4, regardless.
40k demons should cause 1d3/1d10 insanity

Soji
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#11 » Oct 20 2006 03:34

Shas_el Rigel wrote:Avatar:
immune to FB, 3+/4+ saves, high T, and more hth attacks than you can shake a stick at (these guys will take a bit of effort to kill)

Railgun ? I don't think they are immunde to that, even if they are made of magma.
"Ha, eat those hypervelocity solid slug, you pile of smoking metal !"

Shas_el Rigel wrote:War walkers:
dunno how much has changed but they're relatively cheap and can put out a lot of high strength shots (lots'a saves for me to fail).

Missile Pods should make short work of them. Of course your missile Pods are going to be busy somewhere else ...

Swooping Hawks : yes, they are now useful. But the fact that they are no longer a joke doesn't mean that they are really dangerous. I'm more concerned about the 30 shots avenger squad / indestructible falcon / Wave that can move 24 inches
55/1/0

Ryzouken
Shas

Post#12 » Oct 20 2006 03:35

Yes, the new dex will lay the cheese on a little thick, but then it's Eldar, any?

I'm planning on serpents of fury myself, 30 BS4 shots being a bit too much to pass on.

Starcannons are -1 shot, Pulse lasers are 2 shot, Scatter Lasers are 4 shot, wraithlords choose between a heavy weapon or a wraithsword that rerolls missed to hits and are subject to wraithsight, Autarchs grant +1 to reserve rolls, and Fire Dragons are now S8. Harlequins are coming back, Jetbikes are a troop choice, guardians MUST take platforms or switch to chainsword/pistols. Vectored Engines remove the Skimmer Crash rule, Wave Serpents can exchange their forcefields for holo fields, Swooping hawks can lift back off and hit with grenades on mobile skimmers (or anyhting else) on a 4+, and neither war walkers or vypers are open topped anymore.

My entire army for the new dex moves 12 per turn with the possibility of moving 24 if needed. Sick. I predict many Eldar Tournament wins in the future.

Soji
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#13 » Oct 20 2006 03:39

Thanks, Ryzouken, that's what I needed.
55/1/0

Shas_el Rigel
Shas

Post#14 » Oct 20 2006 04:12

Soji wrote: I'm more concerned about the 30 shots avenger squad / indestructible falcon / Wave that can move 24 inches

Yeah, this bothers me too, just didn't want to restate those earlier points.
Soji wrote:Railgun ? I don't think they are immunde to that, even if they are made of magma.
"Ha, eat those hypervelocity solid slug, you pile of smoking metal !"

Butt,but...4+...invuln...I'm scared...hold me.

As Ryzouken shows, they removed all the randomness (number of shots I mean) from Eldar weapons, so on now has more fixed expectations from some of your units.

Btw. didn't know about the non-open topped business...ASS!!!
40k demons should cause 1d3/1d10 insanity

Troutmonkey
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Oct 20 2006 04:29

O god, there is a kid at my club starting eldar. NO WONDER! :eek:
I am going to have a tuff time on my hands now. :::(
www.alice40k.tripod.com
Troutmonkey on LIVE

Nimdop

Post#16 » Oct 20 2006 04:31

oh boy, this means sure defeat when i get home; my only layer friend collects eldar! :eek: d'oh!

Nimdop

Post#17 » Oct 20 2006 04:40

also, unless im very much mistaken, shruiken storm is very effective against vehicles, meaning, ummm 30 shots, 30 rolls, dire avenger's bs of 3, and im guessing around 6 strength, uh-oh, our vehicles are-a so screwed!

mont'ka
Shas

Post#18 » Oct 20 2006 05:28

Actually guy's with the new Eldar codex in hand I have to say nothing to worry about.
In fact they have been toned down.
Lot's of points went up MAJOR.
My former 1000pts force now costs nearly 100pts more for no increase in effectiveness.
As to that "Blade storm" power we tried that out already.
10 Dire avenger including Exarch with power weapon[st3!!] and shimmer shield[squad get's a 5++ save in CC] in a Wave serpent with TL starcannons comes up to: 287pts and thats just a standard serpent no spirit stones or vectored engines.
What do the accomplish? 2 Starcannonshots[yes it's points went up and it's number of shots went down] and 29 shuriken shots.
So against MEQ's thats about 20 hits, 10 wounds and 3/4 kills, somehow we were not impressed!
If you have any specific questions, fire away.
Cheers B.

Return to “Archival Datacore”