Ahhh! Nid's! [Anti-Tyranid Advice needed]

A review of past Alien Tactics by commanders during the First and Second Phase Expansion.
Krel-Tal
Fio

Ahhh! Nid's! [Anti-Tyranid Advice needed]

Post#1 » Dec 06 2006 10:23

First off, I just wanna say im really glad to be here.

Well, anyhoo. I play with a regular group of 4 guys who all go to my school, I play Tau; and there is a Necron player, and Elder, and dun dun duuuun a Tyranid. My problem is, I'm going to be playing against Nids more often then not, and I have practicaly no idea what works against them.

If any of y'all could help me with what Crisis suite to use, and tactics and so on and such, I'd be very, very thankful.

If it helps he usually goes with a speed/numbers swarm, lead by a flying tyrant.

Well, thanks again. And if ya need more info. on what he's fielding, just ask an ill tell as best i can. Thanks!
Why is it so much fun to personify my organs?

GTOnizukadude
Shas

Post#2 » Dec 06 2006 10:30

Hey, I can answer part of this! Learning is handy :P

Swarms are easy. Try lots and lots of massed pulse fire. Or, soften them up and use Fish of Fury once you're sure there's few enough that you can kill them in one go. For the tyrant, (i'm not as sure about this part) I think you want to use railguns, so either a broadside or a railhead.

Someone more experienced (everyone) can (please before I hurt someone) correct me ;)

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#3 » Dec 06 2006 10:36

Mech Tau is very good againts Nids.
Please visit my New Online Gallery Scale120

Krel-Tal
Fio

Post#4 » Dec 06 2006 10:44

I know the fish of fury thing, the only problem with it though is that he has a bunch of warriors in and behind all his gaunt lines. And these things are armed with venom cannons and, either death spitters or barbed stranglers. What should i do about these?

And as for MechTau, I guessed that, but im pretty inexperianced. What should I give my suits, what support systems should I take? What vehicles?

samuraioshovah
Shas

Post#5 » Dec 06 2006 11:52

Hammerheads with Rail Guns, burst cannons or SMS work effectively. You also want Devilfish with SMS and MT. All of your big vehicles need SMS. You can also take piranhas with BC & TAS...those work well.

As far as crisis suits you need Fireknife (MP / PR / MT) for range and for kills.
Mobile Armor Division...71-12-11 2014 Season 14-4-3

Striderzorness
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 07 2006 05:20

well i play tyranids and tau so i can probibly help you out a little,
if its a swarm army then your going to want to take some kroot, a lot of fire warriors, bunch of markerlights,battle suits and a hammerhead.

use the kroot as a meat-shield for your fire warriors and keep your fire warriors and kroot in cover with a hammerhead their for support (railgun of course, use the template mostly) and outfit your battlesuits with plasma and fuision to take out that pesky tyrant.

game plan- place firewarrior squads away from eachother so he cant run all of his forces to the same place, have kroot next to each of the firewarrior squads incase he gets to close, make sure that the kroot are between the firewarriors and the tyranids, markerlight the closest thing and destroy it, and when you send in the battlesuits to take out the tyrant make sure you kill him rite then otherwise your going to be sorry, help in sure the destruction of the tyrant by markerlighting him up for the battlesuits.
wakka wakka!

shasolenzabi
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#7 » Dec 07 2006 05:42

[[[ one thing to mess his charges at your tanks, flechette dischargers, yes, I said flechette dischargers, I have used them against nids, they make the stealers and other rending clawed beasts cry as they die.

I flew a force of 3xRailheads with SMS(for their range, as well as behind the trees smackiness!), 3x Devilfish squads with SMS, 3xPiranhas, with BC of course, 2 commanders 2x crisis teams, and a 6man stealth team. all the vehicles had flechette dischargers and formed a wall, the suits hung out behind the vehicles and the enemy that did get through to the skimmers got nailed in the face before they could swing, (Ineffectively for the most part!) and the Nids were broken upon the wall of Fury.) :evil:

GTOnizukadude
Shas

Post#8 » Dec 07 2006 09:58

Lenzabi, that's a really nifty strategy. :D I like.
Ionheads never die. Ever <3
20W/5L/5D

Krel-Tal
Fio

Post#9 » Dec 07 2006 01:12

shasolenzabi, :eek: ---- :crafty:---- :P

That's genious! A wall of flechette skimmers with everything else marching along behind it! My goodness thats brilliant!

:EDIT: Would anyone on here recomend giving one of my suits an Airburst Fragmentation Projector, and should he be in a unit or what? It looks like it would work well against Nid swarms, but I just don't know.

Pathfinder
Fio

Post#10 » Dec 07 2006 11:15

Would anyone on here recomend giving one of my suits an Airburst Fragmentation Projector, and should he be in a unit or what? It looks like it would work well against Nid swarms, but I just don't know.

Take it. I normally run twin-MP/AFP/HwMT as a monat.(lone suit)
Can help handle the horde and has reliable MP hits for the big bugs. FD on your skimmers are nice, but I prefer to use massed pulse fire from the unit that can do that best.

4 Stealth w/TA-160 pts. These guys will be dropping around 7-9 gaunts per turn. smaller footprint makes them easy to hide too.

As for crisis load-outs, I would suggest the Firestorm(BC/MP/MT)
A three man team is only 150 pts.

Kroot help to slow down the wave of gaunts and hold part of his force to be dealt with later. For the tyrant and any ther big bugs either plasma or railgun fire should do the trick.

Hope this helps
Saying "anything but a 1" always gets you a 1.

Krel-Tal
Fio

Post#11 » Dec 09 2006 12:43

Oh, this'll help alright!

Thanks a bunch you guys! :biggrin:

KrootMyrmidon
Shas

vs nids

Post#12 » Dec 10 2006 09:37

I would suggest the following...

Suits armed with twin linked flamers and a burst cannon. Get them up close to the approaching guants, flame them with wound rerolls, and chew them up with BC shots. Once you get through them, BC the warriors, as S5 vs T4 puts you in the lead, and unless he got extended carapace you should be getting rid of his armor saves. Two railheads, with BC, using the template against swarms and the railgun against the flying tyrant. Kroot would work as speed bumps, but so would small bare bone FW squads. Lots of piranha armed with BC to rush up quick and soften up the approaching hoards, disembark the gun drones to get a few more shots off, then retreat and act as mops after the flamer armed suits get in. Gaunts will hit the drones and take just long enough to mow through them to get your suits up and in position.
Soon to be constructing the Frankenfish.

The Professor
Shas

Post#13 » Dec 11 2006 12:51

kai'lore wrote:Mech Tau is very good againts Nids.

Addendum: Godzilla Nids are fantastic against Mech Tau.
For the Greater Good? I'm here for the Greater Guns!

midnight
Shas

Post#14 » Dec 11 2006 09:10

Not unless they are done right.
3 of the godzillas probably don't have better than devourers and cheap devourers aren't that great either. They are close combat killiness with a 3+ save. An Ionhead can just enjoy shooting them for a while.
3 will be tough to kill but you have plasma, fusion and railguns.

First priority is the flying tyrant, second is anything with a venom cannon. Targetting those with enough fire to drop one a turn is the key.
I've played a good godzilla list, the loss of a railhead and 2 crisis suits along with 6 stealth suits got me everything he had. Just remember that a FoF will do about 1 wound to a 3+ save carnifex and less to a 2+ save one. Don't bother on them unless you have them down to 1 wound and have at least 2 plasma rifles nearby to help in case of a bad bunch of dice.
For the Greater Go'ould! Whoops, wrong genre.

tchjdaedn
Shas

Post#15 » Dec 13 2006 06:49

Broadsides are best for a zilla army, I've seen. It's a bit pricey, but two squads with TA's will generally take down a carnifex every turn. Fex's are big enough to be hit from most everywhere, so you don't really have to worry about requiring the mobility of a railhead. You get more SMSs for the points against the smaller stuff, too. And twin linking never hurt anybody ('cept for the person you're firing at... no save for you.)

The major selling points for the Railhead IMO are the submunition template shot for small stuff and the mobility of the railgun. If you're against a smaller, faster force, then Railheads may be a better way to go.

Krel-Tal
Fio

Post#16 » Dec 13 2006 07:19

I'll probably take a railhead or 2 with SMS and a team of 2 or 3 broadsides if I have all the points.

And that's a good idea for the piranha KrootMyrmidon, I was wondering how I could use them effectively.

I'm still playing around withmy crisis suits, but there will be an abundance of missles, plasma, and flame. And I'll probably take a squad of stealths. Would anyone sugest a Ninja'O against Nids?

KrootMyrmidon
Shas

Post#17 » Dec 13 2006 09:37

Not what I would suggest, but my suggestions are based on the following bias. Tau do not assault, ever, period, end of conversation. The only things I will ever assault with while playing tau are kroot and drones. I'm not gonna say it's impossible to build a commander decked out for melee, you'll just never see me doing it.

My nonbiased reason, I'm a big fan of cheep commanders to field more grunts. I'd rather have a whole nother squad to pepper my opponent with than one big neat dude who gets instawhacked by some git with a lascannon. This is why I never get the shas'o, as the twenty five point difference doesn't seem to even out to me. Markerlights make up for the difference in balistic skill, and everything else isn't impressive in the least.
Soon to be constructing the Frankenfish.

§plit§econd
Kor'Ui
Kor'Ui

Post#18 » Dec 13 2006 10:12

KrootMyrmidon wrote:Markerlights make up for the difference in balistic skill, and everything else isn't impressive in the least.

Agreed, im still not sure about the last part though.
For now I don't write Tacticas, I inspire them.

Return to “Archival Datacore”