Tau Combat Patrol + Eldar

A review of past Alien Tactics by commanders during the First and Second Phase Expansion.
Kir'qath
Shas

Tau Combat Patrol + Eldar

Post#1 » Dec 12 2006 04:21

My local hobby store is running an interesting tourney. It's basically combat patrol but you must include a unit of Aspect Warriors into your list, no matter what army you're playing. The unit will be your entry into the tourney as it will be "ante'd". If you win the whole thing, then you get everyone's aspect warriors...if you lose, you lose yours :(
However, if you win the painting contest portion of it, then you can't lose 'em.
So, if you were to add some aspect warriors into your Tau combat patrol...which would they be? My list is usually:

2 x Fireknife Monat
3 x Stealth w/Team Leader (HWDC, 2xGD)
8 x FW
10 x Kroot

I'm willing to forgo about everything on the list except for the Monats and the mandatory FW. Any suggestions?

Dal'yth Dude
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#2 » Dec 12 2006 04:37

Banshees

Fleet of Foot'ing power weapons are a joy in a Tau list. I'd drop the Fire Warriors and a pair of Kroot if you can swing removing/swapping the troop squad.

Edit: looks like the Fire Warriors are mandatory. Can't you just drop the Kroot and still squeeze in a squad of 5?

Kir'qath
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 12 2006 04:48

Yes, a close combat aspect is definitely something I was putting at the top of my list. I've heard that Banshees get shot up pretty quick (FW save) and work best in large groups or in a transport. The Kroot would probably be the first to go, though their mix of shooting/CC and infiltrate have proven invaluable in some of my games. Maybe Striking Scorpions?

Dal'yth Dude
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Dec 12 2006 05:48

It depends on your game I guess. Aspects are so expensive points-wise that I think it's going to be hard to squeeze in a legal unit of anything.

I don't play a lot of games at low level, and while it is true that the banshees have a 4+ save, it is better than the Kroot. Your firepower should give your opponents something to worry about while you FoF the Banshees in.

Scorpions will generally be a better choice if you are playing against light infantry. You may want to go this route if you absolutely can't squeeze in an Executioner. I just don't think the Scorpions are so hot without transport or infiltrate.

Have fun!

Eltnot
Shas

Post#5 » Dec 12 2006 06:13

Swooping Hawks, mobile firepower that complements your force nicely without changing your style too much. Other than that, scorpions with a kroot horde to back them up.

madscientist
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 12 2006 07:05

Well, three spears would be 105 pts... You might also think about replacing those stealths with some warp spiders

Eltnot
Shas

Post#8 » Dec 12 2006 08:03

Shas'el' Ke'lshan Doran'n wrote:If your going for pure power, cough cough, cheese. Try doing this

Take 1 shas'el HQ, each with 2 shield drones. Give ohim irridium armor.

Then have him join a unit of the Eldar. (I'm not sure how many aspect warriors a minimum unit can be). But if you join the 'el to a unit of 2 Aspects(if that small a unit is even possible) then, due to majority armor rules your Aspect warriors will now have a 2+ save!

Combat Patrol - no models with more than 3 wounds. No models with a 2+ armour save.
Aspect warriors don't coma as few as 2. 3 is the minimum from memory.

Kir'qath
Shas

Post#9 » Dec 12 2006 09:21

Upon further inspection and consideration, Dal'yth Dude's suggestion of Banshees doesn't seem so bad...if I use the Banshee's defensively that is. I could do this:

2 x Fireknife Monats - 124pts
8 x FW w/'ui - 90pts
10 x Kroot - 70pts
5 x Banshees w/Xarch (Executioner, Warshout, Acrobatic) - 112pts

Total : 396

Basically, have the FW, Crisis, and Kroot form my firing line while the Banshees stay back and move in for a counter-assault.

madscientist
Shas

Post#10 » Dec 12 2006 09:33

I would do firestorm over fireknife here (no 2+ saves in patrol). You could then fill out the troop choices. Other than that, it looks pretty nice.

Eltnot
Shas

Post#11 » Dec 12 2006 10:22

Kir'qath wrote:Upon further inspection and consideration, Dal'yth Dude's suggestion of Banshees doesn't seem so bad...if I use the Banshee's defensively that is. I could do this:

2 x Fireknife Monats - 124pts
8 x FW w/'ui - 90pts
10 x Kroot - 70pts
5 x Banshees w/Xarch (Executioner, Warshout, Acrobatic) - 112pts

Total : 396

Basically, have the FW, Crisis, and Kroot form my firing line while the Banshees stay back and move in for a counter-assault.

I'm not really sold on spending over 25% of my force for a just in case they assault me situation.

If you take that list, chances are that people will just try to out shoot you, and they'll probably win too. The only way I can see that working is if you load up on crisis with min firewarriors, so that the enemy has to come to you.

I'd suggest something like this:
1x fireknife - 62
1x fireknife - 62
2x firestorm - 100
6x firewarriors - 60
5 x Banshees w/Xarch (Executioner, Warshout, Acrobatic) - 112
396 points

Atomic
Shas

Post#12 » Dec 13 2006 03:05

My recommendation would be -

10 Kroot
3 Firestorms (in seperate slots)
8 Warp spiders
396pts.

Maybe drop one of the spiders to bump two of the crisis up to fireknife. Fireknives may be good here because you know you'll be facing aspects that can't be mounted in a serpent (due to the CP rules), so people will probably take the 3+ aspects instead, due to their movement (spiders, spears), range (reapers) or infiltration (scorpions). The 4+ save guys (banshees, dragons, avengers) are pretty short range - without a transport I'd say you shouldn't have problems taking them apart.

Afghan Jones
Shas

Post#13 » Dec 13 2006 07:27

Take the bare minimum aspect warriors that you can.

Tau are great at CP anyway, and if you take a tiny number of aspects then even if you lose and someone gets your aspects, you only lose 3 models rather than a whole bunch.
Afghan Jones: Space Pirate for Hire

Dal'yth Dude
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Consider dropping

Post#14 » Dec 13 2006 09:35

I've played Banshees 2-3 times since the new codex. I think you can safely drop Warshout and Acrobatic. I doubt you'll get much use of them in such a small game. You'll need the Executioner, but save the other points.

Kir'qath
Shas

Post#15 » Dec 13 2006 09:37

Some good ideas are being tossed around. I'm definitely trying to avoid a "cheddar" list, so maybe more than 2 Crisis is too much? Warp Spiders seem like a good idea. I can do 5 sans xarch for about 110pts. Question about their warp field generator...do I HAVE to move the 2D6 distance I roll or is that the maximum distance I can move?

Atomic
Shas

Post#16 » Dec 13 2006 09:49

The 2d6 result is the maximum move, you can move them less if you want.

I think the spiders will work well with tau. They work like faster stealthsuits from what I can see.

Dal'yth Dude
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Dec 13 2006 12:15

Why take another unit that moves 12" and has a S6 short range gun? It really seems redundant with Tau suits on the board. I use my stealth suits the same way I run Spiders, so perhaps I am missing the advantages.

You can always play a few games with proxies and see what works for you.

Ryzouken
Shas

Post#18 » Dec 13 2006 04:12

you could take dark reapers... with a tempest launcher. 3 man with tempest exarch and fast shot. All the Ap 3 death you'd ever want.

Return to “Archival Datacore”