Dealing with Eldar-mech?!?!?!

A review of past Alien Tactics by commanders during the First and Second Phase Expansion.
BrotherErekose
Shas

Dealing with Eldar-mech?!?!?!

Post#1 » Jul 27 2007 01:09

My next game in this league is against a "mech-eldar" army, so my 'Game 2' opponent who-has-already-lost-to-him, told me:

Lotsa Falcons with the Holo-rocks, Vector-Engines, switch-activated hydraulics, 9 inch rims, BOSE stereo, fur-lined dash-board, the works. All that crap that adds up to 'glances only', with re-rolled results, on two dice, taking the nicer result. -- you know what I mean. Plenty of provolone and cheddar.

:(

So, I have the following to use:

5 XV8s (I used REMs, so I can configure them any which-way).
6 Stealths
2 Hammerheads
48 FWs
Etheral (stop snickering!)
2 Bass (Forgeworld #3 hasn't arrived yet!) :roll:
48 FWs
30 kroot.
Lotsa Frisbees and 6 vespid.

There'll be lotsa armor 12 to hit, but AP1 weps will be kinda pointless, no? Ionheads or RHs?

I have to fill 2k in points. What would y'all recommend?
-Brother Erekose

onlainari
Por'Ui
Por'Ui

Post#2 » Jul 27 2007 01:41

I'd go with the 96 fire warriors you own. They should do really well.

Seriously though, I don't want to build you a list. Just use the broadsides with kroot screen.
100/19/20 w/d/l
Tournament: 21/4/4 w/d/l

Seraphim
Shas

Post#3 » Jul 27 2007 02:48

Statistically, Ion Cannons deal with armour 12 better than Rail Guns with glance only movement applying.

3*(4/6)*(2/6) = 0.666667 chance of a glance, 0 of penetrate
1*(4\6)*(5/6) = 0.555556 chance of a glance, 0 of penetrate

However, BS4 Deathrains have a 2*(8/9)*(2/6) = 0.59259 chance of a glance.

Not bad for 55 or so points.

AP 1 weapons can be useful, when he's stunned, immobilized or forgets to move :biggrin:

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#4 » Jul 27 2007 03:23

onlainari, your comments are just gold recently... :sad:

BrotherErekose, I feel your pain and am now girding myself for a 1000pts version of same. I wish it was 2000pts as I could fit more in but meh.

Ion Heads, one Broadside team to "kill" the stunned skimmers and Missile Pods - Death Rain +'s.

I'm going back to face the guy I came #2 to with 3 Prisms and the rest bikes in 1000pts so perhaps we can blog this one along?
Please visit my New Online Gallery Scale120

Ryzouken
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 27 2007 04:46

I wouldn't even play to destroy those Falcons. Shake em till Turn 6 and frag everything else. Certainly shoot at stunned vehicles when possible, but otherwise, plan your list around everything else his army will have.

So against an Eldar list you need worry about:
Harlequins - shoot em with Rapid Fire. Not too difficult if you remember their crazy charge range.

Jetbikes - Eldar can have basic jetbikes doing the JSJ grind like we do only for their troops slots instead of Elites. They can also have Fast Attack Shining Spears, but if your opponent is a super cheese monster type player, you probably won't see them. Still, a modicum of MEq slaying would benefit you greatly.

Swarms of Guardians - Eldar can field upwards of 120 Guardians in their troop slots with attached support platforms. Maintain your volume of fire.

Fire Dragons - These guys hurt less as we run with Skimmers too, but 5-6 melta shots coming from a shaken falcon you just got done discounting can be a deal breaker. Remember that shaken falcons are still dangerous!

I'd leave the stealths and Ethereal (snicker snicker) at home along with the Vespids. Run the BASS, Hammerheads (with ion), a few (2-3) FoF teams with a decent sized Kroot-bump to prevent those nasty jetbike Autarchs from fragging your BASSes into slag turn two... flavor with Deathrains to taste.

BAM! Spice-weasel.

kai'lore
Aun'O (Ret.)

Post#6 » Jul 27 2007 04:56

thanks Ryo, that's the plan. ;)
Please visit my New Online Gallery Scale120

jpgil_galad
Shas

Post#7 » Jul 27 2007 12:51

Honestly, a Tau army should very rarely have to deal with the Falcon shooting, as they're quite easy for even a single or pair of Death Rain suits to keep shaken the entire game. Rather, the nasty part will be dealing with the cargo that they will (sadly almost invariably) bring unscathed to your doorstep. Harlequins and Scorpions can wreak havoc by charging your lines and a Fire Dragon drop is dangerous to vehicles and a death sentence for most battlesuit teams.

Deploying your kroot strategically can help alleviate the danger of those assault units. i.e. between the line of approach for the Falcon and your more key units (such as broadsides or a major FW line), but at least 6" away from what they're protecting. Personally, I prefer smaller squads of Kroot. Small enough that they're likely to break in any serious assault on the first round they're charged, giving you a chance to shoot at whatever is headed your way before it ties up your fire base.

Another thing that may be important to consider is protecting yourself from Tank Shocking, given that your army includes mostly unmounted, non-vehicle models. Crisis teams, Stealthies and GDS (with their merely average leadership, long fall back move, and tendancy to play closer to the board edge) are especially vulnerable to this, although the ethereal will definitely help for the Crisis and Stealth teams, if you can keep him alive. Though with a 24" move, his skimmers could try to circle around your defenses and draw a bead on him.

Skimmer walls (have to be at least armor 12 though) can help keep a shaken falcon from cutting a 24" swatch across your lines. And, in the worst case scenario, 3 pts worth of EMP grenades on a Shas'ui can give you death or glory attack with a straight 50% chance to glance after the auto-hit. The first time your opponent loses a 200+ point tank to a 23 point Shas'ui, he might think twice before trying that tactic again.

BrotherErekose
Shas

It turns out....

Post#8 » Jul 28 2007 06:43

Heh. I didn't get to check the board's response before I played the guy this morning.

jpgil_galad wrote:Honestly, a Tau army should very rarely have to deal with the Falcon shooting, as they're quite easy for even a single or pair of Death Rain suits to keep shaken the entire game. Rather, the nasty part will be dealing with the cargo that they will (sadly almost invariably) bring unscathed to your doorstep. Harlequins and Scorpions can wreak havoc by charging your lines and a Fire Dragon drop is dangerous to vehicles and a death sentence for most battlesuit teams.

I went with Fireknives. Next time though, Deathrains.

He only had firedragons and guardians for the two transports. All else was 2 FPS, a falcon, Jetbikes and vipers.

The fire dragons did prove too tough to finish off, as they had a hill for protection. They fell into the one table quarter and cost me 500 points. Grr.

jpgil_galad wrote:Deploying your kroot strategically can help alleviate

I did not include kroot as they have sorry guns that can't hurt tanks.

jpgil_galad wrote: And, in the worst case scenario, 3 pts worth of EMP grenades on a Shas'ui can give you death or glory attack with a straight 50% chance to glance after the auto-hit. The first time your opponent loses a 200+ point tank to a 23 point Shas'ui, he might think twice before trying that tactic again.

Smack! Duh, I can't believe I left out the EMPs. Duh. :sad:

I'll be typing up a Batrep and posting in the appropriate 'room.'

onlainari:
The FWs did do well. And it's okay, I wasn't looking for a total list build. :neutral:

Thanks guys. Deathrains, EMPs.
-Brother Erekose

Ryzouken
Shas

Post#9 » Jul 29 2007 03:50

kai'lore wrote:thanks Ryo, that's the plan. ;)

Yeah, I love beating that horse long after it's dead...

theodorus
Shas

Post#10 » Jul 29 2007 09:24

by the way, if you're planning on "just shaking the falcons", you should not be looking at the average number of glances, but the chance of getting atleast 1 glance (1 minus chance to not glance at all). the ion cannon has a larger mean #glances, but you only need 1 glance to shake.

Return to “Archival Datacore”