Sooo... how about those new Chaos guys, huh?

A review of past Alien Tactics by commanders during the First and Second Phase Expansion.
Total Jones
Kroot

Post#55 » Nov 27 2007 08:25

That's kinda cool and sucks at the same time!
Thanks for clarifying.

Ryzouken
Shas

Post#56 » Nov 28 2007 06:30

Here's my take on a list from the new Codex that I'll be (eventually) fielding.

HQ: Sorceror with Mark of Slaanesh, Wings, Lash of Submission (of course)

T: 8 Noise Marines with Sonic Blasters (anti Horde)
T: 8 Noise Marines with Sonic Blasters (again, anti Horde)
T: 8 CSM's with Aspiring Champ with Power Fist, Meltagun, Rhino with Combi Melta (armoured spearhead)
T: 8 CSM's with Aspiring Champ with Power Fist, Meltagun, Rhino with Combi Melta

FA: 8 Raptors with Aspiring Champ with Power Fist

HS: 9 Havocs with Icon of Chaos Glory, 2x Missile Launchers
HS: Predator (bare bones)
HS: Predator (bare bones)

The plan being to rush up the two rhinos with the Raptors and Sorceror running behind lashing enemy heavy weapons out of LOS while the Noise Marines and Havocs create a firebase. The Preds will be used as a harrying element, hitting targets of opportunity with their Autocannons as they see fit.

So, what are the weaknesses in this list and how would you, as Tau, exploit them? (note this list is intended as a TAC list.)

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#57 » Nov 29 2007 03:45

Not sure I would take the Wings on the Sorcerer. Instead, take Terminator armour, as it will give him an Invulnerable Save. This guy will be the centre of attention for assault troops, so give him some decent defences like Termie Armour saves.

Wings do allow faster movement, yes. The enemy however will be likely to be heading towards you so getting him in range should not offer too many headaches. I've been playing Emperor's Children with Lash Sorcerer for my last two games using him as suggested against Black Templars, and the need for wings didn't really come into the equation.

I also noted that you seem to be relying on those two meltaguns for your anti-AV14. Perhaps consider changing one of the Predators to take a twin-linked lascannon turret, just for extra back-up firepower? I know you have a powerfisted loony in there too, but the extra point of strength from the lascannons could make all the difference.

E.

Jutami
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#58 » Nov 29 2007 05:55

I think bikes are a great way to "beef" up a character. You can use the independent character targeting rules to ensure you never get shot at, and a 24" flee move guarantees you won't be assaulted by anyone you don't choose to be assaulted by. Plus, you get that +1 toughness, for some extra closecombat resilience. Great purchase IMO. Wings? Bah... Get a Demon prince if you want wings, looks better.

Cheers

Taipan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#59 » Nov 29 2007 08:08

Also remember you have I6 in combat, due to the MoS. Its so much fun to hit at Eldar/Stealer speed in combat.

Lash on bike, sounds good. Aside from the speed (boosts the range of the power to 36") and the boost to T5, you also can boost your invul from 5+ to 3+ when you move over 18". Pretty good if there are no psycannons around, and you are staring down lascannons.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#60 » Nov 29 2007 09:42

I will be using a second Sorcerer for my EC, once I have the model prepared and built, and he will be on a Bike for certain. Until GW disallows the use of Double Lash, the fun these two guys will have with the enemy should have me sniggering and also watching my back as my opponents plot their attempts on my life for being so beardy!

E.

tck
Shas

Post#61 » Nov 30 2007 01:17

may i just say that i have yet to have any problems with chaos as long as i bring enough hammerheads: but then again the chaos opponent i normaly fight failed to defeat 8 fire warriors in cc with a chaos lord, so some luck did come into it (its nice when they miss all the to hit rolls on the charge) :P. although the next turn... :dead: however on a more serious note i managed to take out the plague marines fairly easily with 18 fw and 12 bc shots hitting them, that 10 man squad was gone quickly.

Ryzouken
Shas

Post#62 » Nov 30 2007 09:04

18 pulse rifle shots and 12 burst cannon shots? Were those shots or hits? If it was shots then 10 dead Plague marines should never have happened. Statistically, you should have fragged 1 marine, maybe. 30 shots, 15 hits, 7 wounds, 1-2 unsaved wounds and 0-1 FNP saves made resulting in maybe 1 kill.

That's 6 kills over a game from 300 points worth of models, statistically.

One should reconsider pinning an entire strategy on a statistical anomaly.

And if those were Hits, then we're looking at over 600 points of firing elements killing 230 points of marine. The next turn probably didn't feel too good for you...

Kunas'Anuk
Shas

Post#63 » Dec 01 2007 04:14

Well, I just bought a new chaos army + codex, and I have to say, they've lost some stuff.

Having said that, the icon of tzzentch gives every units that carries it +1 to invulnerable saves. If the unit doesn't have the invulnerable save, they get a 5+ one :eek:

My Tzeentch Sorcerer has a 4+ invul, plus its 2+ termi save.

Demonweapons are nasty, adding D6 power weapon attacks to a lord, plus bonuses for Marks. On a roll of a pone, model suffers an unsavable wound and doesn't attack.

Unmarked also grants +1 strength.
Khorne rolls +2D6 attacks. if either dice is a 1, see above.
Nurgle wounds on a 4+
Tzeentch is also a ranged weapon. Rng 24. S3 AP3 Ass. D6
Slaanesh inflicts instant death :eek:

40 pts well spent IMO.
Unfortunately lack traitors, so my old gaming buddy wouldn't have use for his hundreds of IG anymore. (cheapest troops is marines at 15pts a pop)
They've also gained a few units that don't count towards force organisation... such as demons and spawns.
The new plastic minis range is amzing as well. the commander/sorcerer was great to put together, and I managed a demon prince using possessed parts.
:Stealth Marker Pilot:
~You Won't See Me Coming~

Ryzouken
Shas

Post#64 » Dec 01 2007 04:18

absolute cheapest model in the book is 13 points for a lesser demon.

Of course, they need be summoned. And they've been nerfed hardcore...

It's fun listening to the Word Bearers and Iron Warriors players complain about the deaths of their respective armies...

fiendil
Shas

Post#65 » Dec 01 2007 12:43

I'm less than impressed that my Iron Warrior heavy support slots are so heavily contended now. That's the most annoying thing. From just about having enough slots, I've now got 3 slots to split between 3 oblits, a land raider, a defiler, a vindicator, and a predator. The only saving grace is that the dread is elite now, instead of HS.

It's also irritating having to think about repainting the basilisk having only just got it finished in IW colours.

And also unimpressed if loyalist marines get veteran skills where the chaos legions have lost them. From a fluff point of view, who's been hunting tanks longer? The devastator who's maybe 200 years old at most, or the havok who's been doing it and is still alive after thousands of years.

Some of the new stuff is shiny, and I'm looking forward to the nastiness my Nurgle and Slaanesh forces will be able to unleash, but the armies of the undecided really took a hit with this one.
Death before honour.

Return to “Archival Datacore”