Can A Pure(ish) Battlesuit Army Be Competitive?

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Can A Pure(ish) Battlesuit Army Be Competitive?

Post#109 » Apr 17 2014 09:34

You're paying 260pts plus Marker Drones to get Broadsides that can Snap-Fire, (thereby making Snipersides unusable in this setup as Precision Shots can't be had from Snap Shots.)

It feels like an expensive way to cram a Broadside into a Deathrain's role. Not to mention that you've got a Victory Point and HQ slot used up in making this work.

AngryAlbatross
Shas

Post#110 » Apr 17 2014 10:13

CoffeeGrunt wrote:You're paying 260pts plus Marker Drones to get Broadsides that can Snap-Fire, (thereby making Snipersides unusable in this setup as Precision Shots can't be had from Snap Shots.)

It feels like an expensive way to cram a Broadside into a Deathrain's role. Not to mention that you've got a Victory Point and HQ slot used up in making this work.

True, this setup does not really benefit trying to snipe with railsides, but my point is just that broadsides can be mobile, if you are willing to pay for it! Haha

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#111 » Apr 17 2014 10:45

You can put two well-equipped Deathrain teams on the board for that price, which will be more accurate, potentially Scoring, and more mobile.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Fio'Ui

Post#112 » Apr 17 2014 03:00

CoffeeGrunt wrote:You can put two well-equipped Deathrain teams on the board for that price, which will be more accurate, potentially Scoring, and more mobile.

The point about using HYMP on the move is compared with HRR on the move.
Deathrain are so much better... But sometime you need a 2+ armor, or you already have your all crisis teams filled, or you need a big yummy unit to draw attention (either your opponent ignore them if he think about snap shot of the weapons, then you will blow up nearby units the next turn, either he shoot at them and draw fire from the real threat like crisis/riptide).

CoffeeGrunt
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#113 » Apr 18 2014 04:01

I'm not the biggest fan of expensive distraction units, personally.

Over here, people are well aware that trying to bring down a Broadside with Bolters is fairly inefficient, so they'd just Lascannon them.

Sa'Ran'Sha
Shas

Post#114 » Apr 18 2014 07:27

Here's a thought that came to mind little earlier:

Obviously HYMP and HRR broadsides are gonna slow us down a bit for our high speed/mobile army, and for them to be effective with mobility will require us dump points into them.

What about adding in a little mobile armor then? I know they're not suits, but having a railhead with sub rounds would be a bit more mobile, and still provide that niche we're looking for of highS and ap1. Another vehicle to consider would be pirahnas. I think they might serve our purposes better with their BCs over the FBs due to the sunforge suits giving a better output of melta shots. So maybe 2-3 pirahnas with BCs? will synergize with the mobility of our suits and could always do their silly tactics of blocking possible approaches to the crisis teams. Thoughts? :fear:
"Through Boldness, Victory"

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#115 » Apr 18 2014 08:09

Wait, by "pure battlesuit" you guys meant no skimmers too?!

I thought we were talking about hammerheads, phiranas, and for the forgeworlders tetras, and not "suits, suits, and nothing but suits, with a few drones."

Sa'Ran'Sha
Shas

Post#116 » Apr 18 2014 08:18

well it does say pure(ish) so I would assume skimmers and the like are included in the "ish" part. Drones a baby suits waiting to grow up anyway

CariadocThorne
Shas

Post#117 » Apr 18 2014 08:38

I assumed pure(ish) meant crisis, riptide, stealth, maybe broadsides with drones being (ish) part.

AngryAlbatross
Shas

Post#118 » Apr 18 2014 09:21

Recently I have been thinking about taking 3 hammerheads and advancing my crisis teams up behind them (using the tanks for cover) upside is that if one of the tanks gets wrecked its still can give my crisis teams cover. However im stuck now because I can't decide between TE allies to bring in a 4th hammerhead and a Iridium'O or two 5 man stealth teams. Hoping to use the list on Wednesday versus eldar.

Sa'Ran'Sha
Shas

Post#119 » Apr 18 2014 09:41

thinking about taking 3 hammerheads and advancing my crisis teams up behind them

This doesn't seem bad, but I feel like that's kind of a waste of hammheads just being a wall. I feel the key to suits is using cover to your advantage. Maybe advance them in front, JSJ tactics all over, and have the riptides(s) soak up shots/attacks with the hammerheads providing fire support? For our Full suit army to competitive I think we may have to go this rout, adding in a few vehicles, in order to stay competitive.

Also starting to look at stealth teams with more consideration. As of now I have a BC suit team to throw out mass shots, but I'm thinking they might be more useful with a burning eye or helios loadout. The stealths could just take their BCs and some gun drones and accomplish the same mission with infiltrate and awesome cover saves (which'll help out the normally weak drones).

AngryAlbatross
Shas

Post#120 » Apr 18 2014 10:19

Sa'Ran'Sha wrote:
thinking about taking 3 hammerheads and advancing my crisis teams up behind them

This doesn't seem bad, but I feel like that's kind of a waste of hammheads just being a wall. I feel the key to suits is using cover to your advantage. Maybe advance them in front, JSJ tactics all over, and have the riptides(s) soak up shots/attacks with the hammerheads providing fire support? For our Full suit army to competitive I think we may have to go this rout, adding in a few vehicles, in order to stay competitive.

Yea riptides or hammerheads could be used just as a moving wall. My current list I'm working on would have them firing at the end of a marker light cascade, but 3 hammerheads could provide cover for my 15 crisis suits who can just hop to the side or in front then JSJ behind.

Also starting to look at stealth teams with more consideration. As of now I have a BC suit team to throw out mass shots, but I'm thinking they might be more useful with a burning eye or helios loadout. The stealths could just take their BCs and some gun drones and accomplish the same mission with infiltrate and awesome cover saves (which'll help out the normally weak drones).

One reason I am looking at stealths again is they can provide intervening model cover for crisis teams that have to be out in the open temporarily. Also noting that stealths have multi trackers and the 'vre can take a markerlight makes them good for starting a marker cascade. My current squads have 4 of them and a shas'vre who has a marker, target lock, fusion blaster, drone controller and two marker drones for 200 ish pts. Fortunately the way the rules are written the shas'vre can take a target lock AND a drone controller

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#121 » Apr 18 2014 06:28

Moving walls of Devilfish and Hammerheads were a not uncommon tactic in some circles. Though this was more common when our tanks had Multi-trackers.

CariadocThorne
Shas

Post#122 » Apr 18 2014 08:19

AngryAlbatross wrote:Recently I have been thinking about taking 3 hammerheads and advancing my crisis teams up behind them (using the tanks for cover) upside is that if one of the tanks gets wrecked its still can give my crisis teams cover. However im stuck now because I can't decide between TE allies to bring in a 4th hammerhead and a Iridium'O or two 5 man stealth teams. Hoping to use the list on Wednesday versus eldar.

I often do this to get my plasma team into rapid fire range without dying.

Just remember the unit footprint of a crisis team isn't that small, even with 3 tsnks, you can't hide many suits. For example, I use 3 devilfish to hide 3 crisis and 6 drones.

Of course, once they get in range there's also the 35 firewarriors and an ethereal for my opponent to deal with.

Proiteus
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#123 » Dec 22 2014 09:57

Sorry for the thread necromancy but I plan to start building this army in the new year and have a question...

As you can see in my list below my Marker Drones are in my Missile Pod Suit teams, but I'm thinking of giving the MP suits 1 or 2 Marker Drones and have the commander lead a small unit of Marker Drones, that way I can start off the shooting phase with the commander allowing both missile pod teams to benefit from Markerlights. He'll also the smaller unit size may allow him and the drones to hide better.

Your Thoughts?

HQ
152 – Commander: 2 Missile Pods, Target Lock, Drone Controller and 2 Marker Drones

ELITE
225 – Riptide: Ion Accelerator, Fusion Blaster, Early Warning System, Stimulant Injector
250 – Riptide: Super Burst Cannon, Smart Missile System, Earth Caste Pilot Array, Velocity Tracker and Early Warning Override

TROOPS
129 – 3 Battlesuits: 2 Burst Cannons each.
159 – 3 Battlesuits: 2 Plasma Rifles Each.
111 – 2 Battlesuits: 2 Fusion Blasters Each, 1 with target lock.
53 – 1 Battlesuit: 2 Fusion Blasters
198 – 3 Battlesuits: 2 Missile Pods and Target Lock each with 2 marker drones. (Commander goes here)
220 – 3 Battlesuits: 2 with 2 Missile Pods and Target Lock each, Shas'vre with 2 Missile Pods and Drone Controller with 3 marker drones.

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”