Tau 2k "Take-All-Comers" list with Stealth Suits *Le Gasp*

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
O'Shaska
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Tau 2k "Take-All-Comers" list with Stealth Suits *Le Gasp*

Post#1 » Jan 29 2014 03:33

So here is my 2k list. Despite what people have said about stealth suits not being worth their cost, the games I have played have proven otherwise. Crisis suits put out more firepower cheaper and have a higher toughness, but there is nowhere on the board that is safe from stealth suits. So far, I've taken out a kharybdis assault claw, an annihilation barge, a predator, and a dreadnought over the course of four games. They have survived every game that I have used them in bar one, and in that game they got charged by canoptek wraiths and lasted three turns in close combat due to bad rolls on my opponent's part. This does not include when I used them back in 5th edition.

NOTE: Units are listed at minimum squad size with extra members as upgrades.

Army total: 1,999 Points

Primary Detachment

HQ:

Commander Firestar
+2 Missile Pods
Drone Controller
+2 Marker Drones
Iridium Armor
Target Lock
Puretide Engram Neurochip

Troops:

Kroot Carnivore Squad
+10 Kroot
Shaper
Sniper Ammunition
Kroot Hound

Kroot Carnivore Squad
+10 Kroot
Shaper
Sniper Ammunition
Kroot Hound

Fire Warrior Team

Fire Warrior Team

Elites:

Stealth Suit Team
+3 Stealth Suits
+1 Fusion Blaster
+1 Target Locks
Shas’vre:
+1 Markerlight/Target Lock
+1 Fusion Blaster

Crisis Team
+2 Crisis Suits
+3 Target Locks
+3 Twin-Linked Missile Pods
+4 Marker Drones

Fast Attack:

Pathfinder Team
+1 Pathfinder

Pathfinder Team
+1 Pathfinder

Heavy Support:

Hammerhead
Disruption Pod
Longstrike
Submunitions
Twin-Linked Smart Missile System

Fortifications:

None

Firebase Support Cadre

Broadside Team
+2 Broadsides
+3 Early Warning Overrides
Shas’Vre

Broadside Team
+2 Broadsides
+3 Velocity Trackers
Shas’Vre

Riptide
Ion Accelerator
Early Warning Override
Positional Relay
Twin-Linked Plasma Rifles

My list runs as follows. The commander hops in with the crisis team and sets up with the two broadside teams, longstrike, the two pathfinder teams, and the riptide. Everything else hops into reserve. The fire warrior teams walk on to secure nearby objectives and lend fire support, while the kroot blobs outflank to a board edge of my choosing, determined by my riptide (positional relay). Should my riptide be unable to get to said board edge in time, my kroot have one hound each to raise their chances of getting them where I want them. The stealth team either deep strikes, outflanks, or infiltrates, depending on what the situation calls for. Also, I have converted my shas'vre to look like Samus Aran.

Markerlight sources are primarily from the drones attached to my crisis suits, who will mark a primary target each turn while the suits split fire with their missile pods, which are designed to be semi-independent of 'lights since the unit fires at the same time. The pathfinder teams can either add hits to the primary target, or direct the cadre's fire against secondary targets. The stealth team can also add one markerlight hit from the shas'vre, but I do not use that as a reliable markerlight source, rather as an extra freebie since I'm taking a target lock anyway. On the subject of stealths, the fusion blasters are equipped to split fire from the burst cannons. This way, the stealth team can hit two targets at once when they appear.

Say what you want about high-yield missile pods, I prefer heavy rail rifles. Being able to reach the entire board with an AP1 weapon is too valuable to me. That and my crisis team only has two less shots at slightly better accuracy if you include the commander. Mind you I also lose the smart missile systems but my railsides have those. In return I get mobility and a bunch of high armor bodies to protect my marker drones.

On the subject of railsides, I have one team equipped with velocity trackers and one with early warning overrides. The idea behind this is that the EWO team has a 76% chance of landing one railrifle hit on a flier, and with tankhunters, one hit has a decent chance of doing serious damage. Upon intercepting, that broadside team supports with its SMS' against enemy infantry while the VT team finishes the flyer off (or targets a second one, should the first one have been destroyed). These teams can also be used to shut down fast moving vehicles or monstrous creatures early on. My commander's puretide chip allows for secondary tank/monster-hunting from my crisis team.

My riptide is the main source of my AP2 weaponry and ground interception. Secondary sources of AP2 come from Kroot sniper ammunition if I need it (wraithknights), but their primary role is to target enemy infantry and drown them in bullets. My broadside teams and my stealths can throw down some low AP fire if the situation calls for it. Longstrike is also a fun "Coup De Grace" unit against multi wound models if his primary targets (anything with an armor value) are all destroyed.

Longstrike is designed to be semi-independent of markerlights, as well. Against most armies, all he needs are two hits to strip cover. He is the primary AV13-14 popper. Anything like monoliths, land raiders, or leman russes are his priority targets. Should I lose him, I have my stealth team, my riptide's melee abilities, and my railsides to fall back on as secondaries, between melta and re-rolls.

All in all, I think it is a solid list, but I wanted to run it by the folks on ATT to get some feedback. What do you guys think? Comments and criticisms are welcome. If you need to know anything or if I'm doing something wrong, just let me know.
Last edited by O'Shaska on Jan 29 2014 04:11, edited 1 time in total.
Unity is a rock against the tides of conflict.

timb6ea
Shas

Re: Tau 2k "Take-All-Comers" list with Stealth Suits *Le Gasp*

Post#2 » Jan 29 2014 04:03

O'Shaska,

Need you to remove the points values for individual unit options. Per Primers, only unit totals are acceptable.

Otherwise looks like a well balanced approach. How well is the plan holding up? Are your units getting the job done? Anything underperforming?
Will Flak'O for food.

O'Shaska
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jan 29 2014 04:19

timb6ea wrote:O'Shaska,

Need you to remove the points values for individual unit options. Per Primers, only unit totals are acceptable.

Otherwise looks like a well balanced approach. How well is the plan holding up? Are your units getting the job done? Anything underperforming?

Done. I was under the impression that the rule about points costs had changed since the tutorial lists points costs in its sample army list. Regarding your question, the only unit that I would say is under performing would be the marker drones. Barring a need for a BS6, Ignores Cover shot from my riptide, which hasn't come up as much as it used to, most shooting phases I do not use every markerlight my drones dish out. I have been thinking of cutting two and instead adding a shield drone to each broadside team, but if the drone pops, that's a morale check. So I'm not sure if it is worth it to make that change.

EDIT: The plan is holding up beautifully. The whole army works like a well oiled machine. I just need to learn what works with it and what doesn't.

Corazu
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 29 2014 04:26

O'Shaska wrote:

Done. I was under the impression that the rule about points costs had changed since the tutorial lists points costs in its sample army list. Regarding your question, the only unit that I would say is under performing would be the marker drones. Barring a need for a BS6, Ignores Cover shot from my riptide, which hasn't come up as much as it used to, most shooting phases I do not use every markerlight my drones dish out. I have been thinking of cutting two and instead adding a shield drone to each broadside team, but if the drone pops, that's a morale check. So I'm not sure if it is worth it to make that change.

EDIT: The plan is holding up beautifully. The whole army works like a well oiled machine. I just need to learn what works with it and what doesn't.

If you had the points, adding 2 Drones to the Broadside Teams boosts unit size such that 1 loss wouldn't force morale check. I'm not sure where you would get the points for that though.

O'Shaska
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Jan 29 2014 04:46

Corazu wrote:
O'Shaska wrote:

If you had the points, adding 2 Drones to the Broadside Teams boosts unit size such that 1 loss wouldn't force morale check. I'm not sure where you would get the points for that though.

I would either have to lose some upgrades off my commander, which would cost me some synergy, or I would have to lose a fire warrior team which costs me a scoring unit. So far my broadsides have been lucky enough to avoid even being targeted so we'll see how that continues.

timb6ea
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 29 2014 04:51

O'Shaska wrote:Done. I was under the impression that the rule about points costs had changed since the tutorial lists points costs in its sample army list.

Had not heard of any change in policy. Just reviewed all the stickies in Cadre Building, what I saw is unit totals which are fine but I did not see any value there for individual options. It's OK to list a total for your Stealth team, not OK to list the point cost of a Fusion Blaster.

The Primers wrote:Never, ever list individual point values for anything.
Listing the sum total of points for a squad is OK, but no item-by-item points breakdowns are ever allowed. ATT has zero tolerance for listing individual point values. Repeat offenders will be subject to administrative procedures. Nothing will get us smacked down faster by GW than by listing individual points values for wargear, unit models and upgrades. They will not hesitate to drop the hammer on us, so we in turn cannot be lax in policing this issue.
Will Flak'O for food.

O'Shaska
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jan 29 2014 05:10

timb6ea wrote:
O'Shaska wrote:Done. I was under the impression that the rule about points costs had changed since the tutorial lists points costs in its sample army list.

Had not heard of any change in policy. Just reviewed all the stickies in Cadre Building, what I saw is unit totals which are fine but I did not see any value there for individual options. It's OK to list a total for your Stealth team, not OK to list the point cost of a Fusion Blaster.

The Primers wrote:Never, ever list individual point values for anything.
Listing the sum total of points for a squad is OK, but no item-by-item points breakdowns are ever allowed. ATT has zero tolerance for listing individual point values. Repeat offenders will be subject to administrative procedures. Nothing will get us smacked down faster by GW than by listing individual points values for wargear, unit models and upgrades. They will not hesitate to drop the hammer on us, so we in turn cannot be lax in policing this issue.

Ah okay, that's what I was getting messed up. Much appreciated, thanks!

Bodexius
Shas

Post#8 » Apr 13 2014 06:26

A few things I can see...

Are there no horde armies where you live? No Orks or large IG infantry platoons? I do not see how you kill horde (and 3 stealth suits won't cut it). An easy counter to this is ot go for missile-sides, they are the T'au's best anti-horde units (other than dedicated flamers). 6 strength 8 ap 1 is probably a little too much...

Your anti air broadsides... 3 shots at strength 8 ap 1... 60 points to make anti air. Riptide... 3 shots at strength 7 ap 2... 20 points to make anti air. Of course this is not so effective but you are also tank hunters, do you really need all of the broadsides to kill a flyer?! More on those saved points later...

4 troop choices... at 2000 points? That is incredibly risky to say the least, I am against the devilfish but they don't seem to have any protection at all other than keeping them in reserve maybe. Any decent player will wipe out half of those troops in the first couple of turns and they have low Ld.

So I blew up IG today, did you know that half of their lemun russ tanks were reduced in points cost? AV14 is the bane of Tau, we are pretty rubbish at killing it. Longstrike is not a good enough counter to that when a IG player can take easily 6 tanks, with plasma and 20 shot turrets and autocannon goodness. You do not have much anti av14, those couple of fusion blasters are too few, I always have a twin-linked one on my riptide, because it can survive long enough to get close and use it.. do not rely on your broadsides to take it down, you would have to glance it to death which takes too long, they are much better suited to av 13 and lower.

So you lose the plasma on the riptide, add it to the crises suits. Those 40 points you saved earlier? Add the 15 from removing the target locks and you have enough for 3 whole plasma rifles with points to spare. Enough I believe for the marker drones to be an independent squad...

With marker drones independent you do not need the PEN, a few extra points, maybe bolster a FW squad? I might also suggest swapping out a pathfinder squad, though I do not know how many are in your's for a 5th troop choice, but that would be more optional.

Those are my thoughts at least!
Peace Through Power!

Deepstrike
Shas

Post#9 » Apr 13 2014 06:52

I agree with Bodexius, at least a little. My personal experiences when using Stealth suits is that they work better with full squads, but that is my personal experience and with the people I play with. One fusion blaster as you have, with the rest having burst cannons.

The second thing I noticed was the Target locks too. If you are actually using the ability to split fire, you only need 2 per squad, not 3. That will only save you 10 points, but 10 points is 10 pionts and you would be ableto modfify weapon loadouts of other upgrades with that.

Also, as for Broadsides. Giving your unit with the Early warning override the High Yield Missile pods will give them a better chance of hitting and still have the ability to take down most flyers with ease...Well, easier as there are more hits happening. Yes you lose the AP penetration capability of the Railguns, but more hits mean a higher chance to fail a save as well.

That's my 2 cents. Glad your list seems to be working for you so far though.

AngryAlbatross
Shas

Post#10 » Apr 25 2014 11:25

Are you sure the list is 2k? Seems a little light to me...
Unlike these other naysayers, I think the railsides are great. But I do agree they should probably be configured differently. I would transfer the velocity tracker to the riptide, and give him a fusion blaster as suggested above. Realistically, with twin linking the broadsides still have a decent chance of scoring a hit on a flyer without skyfire.

I would argue you probably do not need the pathfinders. They are not adding much since the only unit that really needs markerlights in your army is the Riptide or the stealth teams. You should use these points to get another maxed out squad of kroot or more firewarriors. (you are lacking somewhat in objective holding)

Also I noticed that you DO in fact have a full stealth team (seems like the way you wrote the list confused some people). 2 fusions is the best on them and if you could find the points I would argue for another maxed out team, potentially instead of longstrike. Stealths are much easier to hide and much harder to kill in one turn. You could also trim the shas'vre and save yourself some points. They are not really needed in stealth teams unless you want to put drones in.

Also I would argue your crisis team is not very efficient. You could increase your firepower if you upgraded one to a shas'vre and took the ignore cover and twin linked signature system, then give double missile pods and target locks to the other members. Then you have 12 ignores cover twin linked missile shots shooting one way and 6 bs 5 twin linked markers
shooting another.

Here is an example of what I am thinking for you
+++ 2k Tau (1998pts) +++
+ HQ +

* Commander (182pts)
Crisis battlesuit, Drone controller , 2x Missile pod , Neuroweb System Jammer , Puretide Engram Neurochip , Target lock , XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit
* 1 Marker Drone

+ Elites +

* Stealth Team (200pts)
* Stealth Shas'ui
Burst cannon, Stealth battlesuit
* Stealth Shas'ui
* Stealth Shas'ui
* Stealth Shas'ui
* Stealth Shas'ui
Fusion blaster, Stealth battlesuit , Target lock
* Stealth Shas'ui

* Stealth Team (200pts)
* Stealth Shas'ui
* Stealth Shas'ui
* Stealth Shas'ui
* Stealth Shas'ui
* Stealth Shas'ui
* Stealth Shas'ui

* XV8 Crisis Team (253pts)
* Crisis Shas'ui
Crisis battlesuit, 2x Missile pod , Target lock
* Crisis Shas'ui
Crisis battlesuit, 2x Missile pod, Target lock
* Crisis Shas'vre
Command and Control Node, Crisis battlesuit, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite
* 6x Marker Drone
6x Markerlight

+ Troops +

* Fire Warrior Team (54pts)
6x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle , Photon grenades

* Fire Warrior Team (54pts)
6x Fire Warrior Shas'la with pulse rifle , Photon grenades

* Kroot Carnivore Squad (145pts)
1 x Kroot Hound , Sniper rounds
* 20x Kroot

* 20x Kroot

* 20x Kroot

* Firebase Support Cadre
* XV104 Riptide (210pts)
Early warning override , Ion accelerator , Riptide battlesuit, Riptide Shield Generator, Twin-linked fusion blaster, Velocity tracker
* XV88 Broadside Team (205pts)
* Broadside Shas'ui
Broadside battlesuit, Twin-linked heavy rail rifle, Twin-linked smart missile system
* Broadside Shas'ui
Broadside battlesuit, Target lock , Twin-linked heavy rail rifle, Twin-linked smart missile system
* Broadside Shas'ui
Broadside battlesuit, Target lock , Twin-linked heavy rail rifle, Twin-linked smart missile system
* XV88 Broadside Team (205pts)
* Broadside Shas'ui
Broadside battlesuit, Twin-linked heavy rail rifle, Twin-linked smart missile system
* Broadside Shas'ui
* Broadside Shas'ui

parigi41
Shas

Post#11 » May 22 2014 04:03

I liked to play your original posted list, even 'cause I had just those models.
So experience gave me some good advices, even considering it's not the strongest list ever but one of the funniest:

- cut the number of pathfinders, use them just to soot and not to mklight, and add some railrifles just to enjoy taking out termies
- cut the number of marker drones adding the saved pts to broadsides in form of shield drones (1 or 2)
- use some kroots wit shiper rounds even to take out apc's
- use almost one devilfish to protect the fw's
- always use just one large unit of stealth xv with stimulant injector , mklight and homing beacon
- do not excess with mklights

My performaces are very good , anyway I have to change strategy very often during the games...

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”