1850 Farsight Enclave (no allies)

Cadres who fought and bled under 6th edition rules.
Silvtalon
Shas

1850 Farsight Enclave (no allies)

Post#1 » Feb 13 2014 08:35

Well this is a pure Farsight Enclave list using no allies a variant of my previous build. There are two reasons why this variant was created.
HQ
Ethereal, Blacksun filter
Ethereal, Blacksun filter

The ethereals are there to provide the needed buffs, moral and leadership needed to keep the army from running and make every unit with in range much more resilient and or effective. We all know what that means with their special buffs.

Elites
Riptide, Ion Accelerator, Twin-linked fusion blasters, velocity trackers, early warning override, earthcaste pilot array, talisman of arathas moloch
Riptide, Ion Accelerator, Twin-linked fusion blasters, velocity trackers, early warning override

The riptides role is heavy troop and tank hunters. They are the ones to bring down the hammer with overcharged ion accelerator blasts or fusion blaster fire. Not only that they do provide a much needed and if not scary barrier against flyers if they choose to close in to take shots at my army. One is equipped with the earthcaste pilot array and the talisman to ensure it will be a very effective in hits nova charges, shooting and giving units close by a much needed buff against physic powers.

Troops
Crisis Team 1; 3 crisis suits, 3 twin-linked missile pods, 3 missile pods, bonded
Crisis Team 2; 3 crisis suits, 3 twin-linked missile pods, 3 missile pods, bonded
Crisis Team 3; 2 crisis suits, 4 fusion blasters, bonded, target lock, flamer, shield drone
Crisis Team 4; 2 crisis suits, 4 fusion blasters, bonded, target lock, flamer, shield drone
Crisis Team 5; 1 crisis suit, 2 fusion blasters, bonded

Crisis Team 1 and 2 are built around dealing with light to medium tanks, troops, flyers and transports. They shore up the holes where my sniper drones are unable to be of use by providing much needed high strength weaponry on a target. Being on a crisis suit platform they are very mobile and deadly units with the weapons load out they carry making them more accurate then just the normally chosen dual missile pod suits by ensuring a good number of hits will land over all.

Crisis Team 3-4 are built around being a swiss army knife. The teams main focus is the elimination of any armor units they come across but at the same time they are able to handle taking out light troops as well. The addition of the flamer and target lock gives this unit the ability to multitask if necessary or deter (hopefully) a charging unit by killing a model or two in hopes they can't reach combat. Although the addition of the shield drone was taken to give the squad a chance to survive a ion accelerator blast or some other form of interceptor armor ignoring firepower. Granted its points that could be spent else place but even if one suit survives thanks to your shield drone eating a few insta kill hits its a successful deep strike no matter how it looks compared to a complete loss.

Crisis Team 5 is built around the same purpose as 3-4 but its role is to take out armor only or take/hold/hide on a objective to secure it if possible. I perfer to use him to steal objectives, table quarters or contest if he comes out late in game.

Fast
None

There were a few units I wanted to use but it would hurt my current synergy more so in the long run if I did. So I chose not to take any fast attack, it might hurt me some what in tournaments but I am not really worried about it.

Heavy
Sniper Drone Team 1; 3 spotters, 9 sniper drones
Sniper Drone Team 2; 3 spotters, 9 sniper drones
Sniper Drone Team 3; 3 spotters, 9 sniper drones

Sniper drone teams are my primary marker-light sources they will work as follows. Target Priority... Monstrous Creatures And/or Serious threat > Strip cover (any target)> Heavy troops> Troops> Armor 12 or less. That being said it gives you an idea how I use them. The reason why I choose these units over pathfinders is for four very solid reasons. They are a BS 5 unit, they will hit very well. Secondly no matter how tough a creature, trooper or character is they are wounded on a 4+ and take a rend on a 6. They are hard to eliminate due to stealth and majority toughness 4 and armor 4. Lastly you can not out run them, they will catch you they horrible things to you.

Fortification
Aegis Defense line, Iqris Lascannon

All honesty this is to help keep my crisis suits (missile pods) and a sniper drone team or two safe behind the aegis defense line's cover save modifiers. In addition I choose to take the lascannon as I been finding the quad gun more of a disappointment then it is of any use. All the while I seen the lascannon over all do more with the lesser number of shots and seams to be more effective so why not give it a try.

First off big tournaments in my area will most likely adopt the house rule that armies can ally with themselves.
For Example: Tau + Farsight Enclaves

Secondly, the local stores are already considering or have implemented the above house rule. And yes I have been told I am not nor anyone else is allowed to ally tau with Farsight Enclave in their local store tournaments. (Chuckle)

Ro'Kunas
Shas

Re: 1850 Farsight Enclave (no allies)

Post#2 » Feb 14 2014 02:26

I love anyone who takes the plunge and makes a battlesuit heavy (only?) list!!
I'm the only one in my META that does this and I've had some success AFTER a steep learning curve.
I'd like to open a dialogue regarding a couple points of your list.
1. Deathrain (Dual Missile Crisis) can easily be replaced with Missilesides, especially considering you plan to position the Deathrains behind an Aegis, which would require them to be fairly static. Broadsides are tough (2+ Armor) and hit hard when you outfit them with HYMP and SMS + Seeker. They are each worth about Two Deathrains each when it comes S7 AP4 Hits! Plus the sMS ability to destroy infantry and light vehicles, ignoring their cover and jinks. They make great Flyer Hunters AND long-range strikers!

2. I love your Ethereal concept, in fact, I might attempt something similar, just for a change! However, due to Storm of Fire, the Ethereals BEST synergy is with Fire Warriors or Kroot (Sans Sniper) and you seem to be most interested in raising Leadership rolls and making them more resilient so I'd like to recommend the Command Team. Just taking two or three of them (recommendations abound here) will provide your Crisis Team with Squad Leaders (Leadership 10) and 4 more wounds each! Plus the resultant Synergy is phenomenal and I rarely get tired of trying different formations.
You think you like your Fusion Team now? Add Brightsword to give them Leadership 10, Outflank (plus other interesting Terrain skills) LIGHTSABRES, and another 4 wounds, each of which has 5+ FNP. Or maybe Shas'vastos as their 'Sergeant'? Tank Hunter, Hit'n'Run, and four wounds and a 4+ Inv.!
Throw Torchstar in with a Stealth Team (with two Marker Drones) and who have an Infantry DESTROYER whose burst cannons and Fusion Blaster Ignore Cover, PLUS the unit provides 4 BS5 MLS! Or put Torchstar with two Broadsides. Give the Broadsides Marker Drones and you have 6 BS5 MLs and Broadsides that Ignore Jinks, Smoke, ANY cover at all!
But, of course, there remains an incredible team-up that I've yet to mention. The Great Super Team of O'Vesa with a 3-man Crisis Team (or Two man and Farsight!). Due to O'Vesas Required Drones, his Independent Character Status enabling joining of other unites, the result is a 6 model unit of a Riptide, Two Shielded Missile Drones and Three Crisis Suits with T 6 and a mind boggling 13 Wounds. Boom. Shaka. Laka.
Food for thought. It can get expensive and it DOES require acute spatial awareness and tactical acumen. Remember, the less models in your army, the easier it is for your opponent to focus fire.

3. On a different note, you provide your Ethereals with marker Drones and place them with the Sniper Drones. This will provide Stealth protection for your Armorless "Daimyos" and give you two additional cheap BS5 MLs (of course the Marker drones use the Marksman BS when they are in the same unit) and finally, the LR Pulse Rifles benefit greatly from Storm of Fire, giving them 3 shots each at 24".At your current set up, that would be 27 shots at BS5, Rending, and Precision shot rules applying.
Also, remember that 40K is a points-based game, and having two Ethereals on the table puts you more at risk than your opponent, because you cannot get those points back if they're taken.

Other than that I commend you taking the plunge! Your enemies might initially scoff (and you might give them good reason to, as it can be a steep learning curve, as it was for me) but once your synergy starts flowing and you start Mass-Murdering their units without them being able to SHOOT at you (Greater Good praise JSJ) they will learn to Fear the Few and tremble when you bring your entire list in a lunchbox-sized case.
Lastly, I have also learned to utilize certain Fortifications with the Mobile Army. More on that to come...
What say you Commander?
Mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy
Puretide

Greg
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 14 2014 03:40

Hi Silvtalon, I like your crisis list. I have too 13 crisis in my list (Tau+FE). And here in your list there is few interesting ideas.

But I am nor sure with you sniper teams. Because there is no target lock for ML, you have nice 3 ML on BS5 but big change to kill your target with sniper in same times . If you use them just mainly for ML, maybe you can use only 3+3 in unit.

What about replace one ethereal with commander with missile pods, target lock, drone controller. little bit modified crisis team 1 for 6 missile pods, 3 target locks and 6 marker drones. you will have nice mobile (JSJ) unit with MLs and huge amount of MPods...
My Tumblr blog (many pictures, WIPs, etc..):

Silvtalon
Shas

Post#4 » Feb 14 2014 07:06

Below should answer both commentators questions.

DeathRain vs MissileSides
Indeed I could easily have taken a team of MissileSides but there are a good number things that will hurt me if I did so. Loosing the mobility that crisis suits have to offer over all limits my ability to use them to do a quick grab/contest of objectives and a loss of a troop choice is unacceptable. A huge problem is static vs mobile and in a elite force such as this one being static will ensure death as its easy to maneuver around or avoid missilesides to an extent. The unit over all is cheaper compared to missilesides allowing me to purchase more units in the long run. Lastly the loss of sniper drones and marker lights would hurt my ability to deal with other types of threats and or provide marker light support.

Adding Special Characters
To use any of the characters you have mentioned I have to take Farsight then those characters. Even if I built a commander with twin fusion blades with the upgrade its points I am wasting that can go into more firepower and loss of synergy with two ethereals in the list. Its very important that the synergy stays intact to make this list work properly.

Changing out Sniper Drones for a few Marker Lights?
I find having the full team of sniper drones to be far more effective and dangerous to enemies that choose to get with in 24 inches, deep strike or have monstrous creatures. Its pointless to reduce highly accurate firepower for a moderate gain. In my experience and opinion it would be foolish not to run a full team if your going to use them for combat and marking targets which this list does use them heavily for both roles. My other list I built used tau allies and had four sniper drone teams it was a very mean list and those I played against really hated it.

Ro'Kunas
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 14 2014 11:57

Excellent! You seem to be focused and very aware of cadre concepts.
Last question was, which units do your Ethereals join?
My apologies if you covered this and I missed it...
Mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy
Puretide

Silvtalon
Shas

Post#6 » Feb 14 2014 08:42

Arrogant Tiger wrote:Excellent! You seem to be focused and very aware of cadre concepts.
Last question was, which units do your Ethereals join?
My apologies if you covered this and I missed it...

Mobility in my opinion in a (elite) suit heavy army and application of firepower (What you can bring) is highly important to balance out. That being said....

The Non-Warlord Ethereal will man the gun emplacement along with a team of sniper drones.

The Warlord Ethereal will always start with a sniper drone team in area cover close enough to other units to provide its boost. Although depending on warlord trait that provides pick either monster hunter or tank hunter. I'd have my warlord jump between missile pod suits or sniper drone teams to effectively use him as a buffer. Using the warlord this way is risky but if used properly your enemy shouldn't be able to respond to it easily if not at all. I have used my warlord like this before and it has been a very useful tactic.

Silvtalon
Shas

Post#7 » Feb 15 2014 09:48

I should have a battle report of this army build later tonight. It will be field tested in a local tournament that gives prizes for the top 3 placements of course there is a entry fee. Lets see how well it does I might have pictures to go with the battle report. ^-^

Silvtalon
Shas

Post#8 » Mar 30 2014 07:09

So far in 3 tournaments I have tested this list in the last couple months.

I placed twice in 2ed place and once in 4th place out of 12-16 players attending each tournament. Not bad its been preforming well even against other tau and elder tau. I am curious to see how well it will preform against Imperial knights. I think I might be able to handle an all imperial knights list with this list but I wont know until I actually fight one.

CariadocThorne
Shas

Post#9 » Mar 31 2014 05:05

Hi, I was just curious about something.

While your list looks pretty good overall, you look light on anti-horde firepower. I was wondering whether this is due to local meta not including many horde armies or whether you have a specific tactic in mind for dealing with hordes? Have you encountered any hordes, and if so how did you do?

Silvtalon
Shas

Post#10 » Apr 01 2014 09:57

CariadocThorne wrote:Hi, I was just curious about something.

While your list looks pretty good overall, you look light on anti-horde firepower. I was wondering whether this is due to local meta not including many horde armies or whether you have a specific tactic in mind for dealing with hordes? Have you encountered any hordes, and if so how did you do?

Most armies I face in my area are marine (types), tau, eldar. A few Imperial guard, Dark Eldar and nids. The last two times I played against a horde style army was against nids and orcs. In both cases I didn't have to much trouble with them mainly due to the massed fire power that was on the table at the time. The real trick is keeping your distance while keeping the enemies cover saves stripped and exploiting maximum fire power. But its kinda uncommon to see a horde army, where I live in the competitive nature of the game is so strong many of these lists I play against are very challenging to say the least to play against. A small number of players in the local gamers club that is in the area I live in have taken one of the top three placings in Renegade and Adepticon over the last few years. I do enjoy the challenge these experienced players provide quite a bit.

As for tactic's used it would be biased on how well the enemy was weathering the constrained fire, what units are a bigger threat and how quickly they can reach you. Normally with out the addition of the riptides added to the tau arsenal and changes to how we can equip weapons this list would be very hard pressed against hordes for sure. There is a number of factors that give this list its teeth its how well you use and play them.

The only thing this list is weak against is massed flyers armor 12 or massed flying monstrous creatures. But once those monstrous critters have charged and or have fallen to the ground you can be assured they wont survive. Those tend to be the toughest fights I have have had with this listing mainly the flying aspect.

Before you ask. Dealing with the Demons Screamer Star or Dog Star. (re-roll 2+ invuln save) The only way a tau player can beat that is to have 2-3 riptides in their list. You would use one riptide with shields up to charge the screamer star or dog star and lock them into combat with an ethereal close by. On average a riptide with leadership buff and or even 6+ sense of stone will survive 1.5 to 3.5 rounds of combat. In testing 2 riptides (even with earthcaste pilot array equipped) will survive combat for 4-5 turns with good rolls. As you tangle up the screamer star or dog star you use the rest of your army to dismantle the enemies by the time the screamers or dog star can even do anything your enemy will not have the ability or time to kill off all your units nore will they be able to win the game objective wise as they will no longer have any troops.

Return to “Archival Datacore - 6th Edition”